Sup, 2D head looking to get a running start

2DFraud

[01] Neophyte
I just pre-ordered SC6 for PC and am a little hype about learning a new game soon.

First order of business is trying to get halfway competent here in something new for me. Any resources on how to think and play Soul Calibur coming from a 2D background? I've been playing 2D fighters casually in person and then a little more seriously online since GGPO days. So meter management, frame advantage, etc. are all very familiar but I have no idea what the hell's going on with attack strings, tech chasing, movement, etc. Never really touched any 3D fighter at a level more than super casual.

Also, do you have any ideas about a list of potential characters that I should look into? These 3D movelists are long enough as it is without having to go through 20+. I tend to prefer characters more geared to neutral control and/or setting things up over mixup potential and rushdown. For reference in SFV I play Dhalsim, DBFZ Nappa/21/SSJ Goku, BBTAG Es/Nu, SF4 series Dhalsim and Rose and E. Honda, MvCI Morrigan/Monster Hunter, GGXrd Jack-O, Vampire Savior Jedah, ST Ryu and Chun, etc. Obviously SC6 is going to be very different, but which characters might seem like more of a fit? I don't know if having long range translates the same way in 3D games. Other than Ivy I'm assuming (or not?), who else might instead be able to exert control without necessarily poking/grabbing from long range?

Honestly, the best thing you can do is to just sit down and play the game. The biggest hurdle 2D players have to overcome is breaking habits like holding back to block, trying to block mids with crouching guard, or not sidestepping verticals. If you have good fundamentals you'll be fine.

As for the character question, I wouldn't get too hung up on comparisons to other games since we don't really know what role each character will end up playing in the long run. Ivy does sound like a good fit for a Dhalsim or Morrigan player, but with such a varied background you should have no trouble picking up whatever character you like aesthetically. You might want to look into Yoshimitsu or Astaroth if you enjoy making your opponent fear you.

I would second that the best thing to do is just to sit down and play man. It's going to take a bit to condition your brain but you'll be surprised how many of the fundamentals translate over. Also tip of the hat to a fellow Jack-O player.

Back