Swatting

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
This sort of thing has been on my mind since I saw these videos...

6:21 in the video...

I think that the fact the someone would be so salty about losing a game that they would go through the trouble of finding out their opponent's personal information and call the S.W.A.T on their house to be so pathetic that it's actually worthy of a laugh.

However, what is not funny is that someone could be minding their own business when, all of a sudden, a S.W.A.T. team starts storming the house and pointing their guns at the poor saps head. Worse yet, if someone gets killed from such nonsense.

What are your thoughts?

This bs has been going on for a while now. Kids in our society have gotten so selfish in the last decade but it is still hard to believe that people are so stupid to think that it is ok to pull something like this. I heard of one guy that got sentenced to 25 years in prison for making multiple swatting calls on different opponents before he got busted. They showed the dude bawling in the courtroom being all like "Why me?" Stupid prick.

Who puts their personal information on the internet these days?
Is this a rhetorical question? Because in reality, putting your personal information on the internet is actually quite common place. Just to which degree?

you have an online portfolio? resume? Job hunted? freelanced? bought anything from anywhere on the internet? online documents, bill pay, paypal, social media. All these little avenues, you're putting up your personal information, and guess what? all of that can be tracked.

There's even a website that monitors your email address and uses it to display specific advertisements on your screen.

It's ironic that you would find that disconcerting.

But to answer your next question: when more and more apps are asking you to log on via twitter, facebook, disqus, google +, etc. It's not hard to do just what you're asking.

You know, I tend to agree with most of your sentiment. Problem is, the way certain industries work now, you can't do things offline. Even applying for a job became an online affair. You can't just walk in somewhere, drop off a resume and business card and sit and wait. Now it's email this, email that.

These days it's hard to go about life without putting your personal information somewhere, and to what extent?

Now if you mean equating being private, to leaving your affairs private then that's different. Everything you choose to share, you choose to share. It's all on the person.

but again, if you wanna get on technical, some people don't need to know all of your info to find where you live. There are programs and scripts that can identify someone's IP address and thus discover someone's location based off of that information alone. That's all you really need to call swat on someone.

Back