Taki VS. Mitsurugi and Astaroth...

Nikar

[09] Warrior
Not sure whether it's because I suck with Taki, but I was fighting my bro (who's also a noob like me).
My bro's using Mitsurugi and Mit owns the **** out of my Taki.

Mit is fast enough to block all my attacks, and even when I manage to punish him for his missed moves, the damage isn't that much. Taki seems to be pathetic damage while Mit seems to have insane defense and offense. I can be hitting Mit non-stop for some time and it only takes a bit of his health, and Mit's 1 or 2 hit attack wipes my lifebar away. Insane.

Taki is fast, but even then, Mit is able to go head-to-head with her.

I also used Taki against Astaroth and this guy is almost as bad as Mit.
His attacks guard-breaks me and throw me totally off-balance by several steps.
In fact, he keeps smashing and pounding on me with the giant axe and all the time, I find myself at the edge of the ring ready to be KO out of the ring anytime.

I abuse lots of Taki's rolls and follow up with some attacks, but again, her attacks does little damage.
I pound on Astaroth at one point non-stop and all he takes is 2 hits to do more damage than I did altogether. Crazy!

Now, I'm thinking whether it's better for me to train Mit instead.
What about Setsuka? Btw, I see Setsuka's moves are hard to pull off as hell.

Not sure whether it's because I suck with Taki, but I was fighting my bro (who's also a noob like me).
My bro's using Mitsurugi and Mit owns the **** out of my Taki.

Mit is fast enough to block all my attacks, and even when I manage to punish him for his missed moves, the damage isn't that much. Taki seems to be pathetic damage while Mit seems to have insane defense and offense. I can be hitting Mit non-stop for some time and it only takes a bit of his health, and Mit's 1 or 2 hit attack wipes my lifebar away. Insane.

Taki is fast, but even then, Mit is able to go head-to-head with her.

I also used Taki against Astaroth and this guy is almost as bad as Mit.
His attacks guard-breaks me and throw me totally off-balance by several steps.
In fact, he keeps smashing and pounding on me with the giant axe and all the time, I find myself at the edge of the ring ready to be KO out of the ring anytime.

I abuse lots of Taki's rolls and follow up with some attacks, but again, her attacks does little damage.
I pound on Astaroth at one point non-stop and all he takes is 2 hits to do more damage than I did altogether. Crazy!

Now, I'm thinking whether it's better for me to train Mit instead.
What about Setsuka? Btw, I see Setsuka's moves are hard to pull off as hell.

Firstly, I should welcome you to the forums.

Secondly, you should have posted this in the Taki Soul Arena. I'm sure a mod will handle that part soon enough, though. But anyway, onto the topic at hand.

Fighting "toe-to-toe" (what I'm understanding this phrase to mean is simply trading hits) with anyone is generally not a good idea, unless your character is designed to do that. Mitsu and Astaroth arguably are, as they get huge damage and rewards by landing damn near any move. Taki is not because, as you said, her moves do very little damage in and of themselves.

However, Taki does excel in one area. What you need to be doing is fishing for hits and counter hits to set up your mix-ups for greater damage. For example, let's say that you punish Mitsurugi with A,A (Taki should be able to punish most unsafe attacks this way), you should gain a slight advantage on hit that you can then use to set up a mixup (like, say, a throw or 1BA PO). Since Taki is so fast, she excels at abusing advantage and making people guess what she's going to do. But, to know what options you have, you need to study her frame data, which is found here: http://www.8wayrun.com/f41/takis-frame-data-t1057/

I don't use Taki, but I fight against a very good one on a consistent basis, and this is the general impression I get from him.

taki vs asteroth always annoys the hell out of me, but as taki, you need to use your speed to catch him offgaurd every time, all asteroth is is power, no technique, or speed, so taki has a major advantage, just keep flying around and blocking his bullshit ground attacks, and ull be fine

if his mitsu is getting you with 2kB(low footsweep to vertical slash), try stepping it to mitsu's left, by tapping into that direction once.
Taki's step is really one of her greatest strengths. Stepping attacks sometimes even allows bomb punishment.
But beware.
He has moves, even verticals, with good tracking that are rather slow like his B+K(the Auto GI attack where he rolls over your back) or i think his BB the second slash can hit you even if you stepped the first. So be prepared to block those.

Taki can punish Mitsu quite well, A blocked 2kB is punishable with 22_88B(Taki's Launcher)
Mitsu's 3B Launcher is unsafe to A6(instant RO when mitsu's back is too the edge)
Biggest problem is when mitsu uses good spacing + his weird lean back normal stance + 4B retreating stab makes you whiff or not hit properly.

Against Asta Taki actually has some tools most or all others don't have:
Her step is good against Asta 6K(the knee) i don't know if both sides work though.
Taki's AA is the only AA in the game that punishes his 66K(the Bullrush) which is one of his best moves. Not the charged bullrush of course.
Against his 1[A]B (the sweep to guard crush) you can use Taki's 4B (her Auto GI against vertical) with practice on reaction to the lightning effect, since you don't wanna eat the 1[A]A double sweep. Maybe you can also step the guard crush on reaction.

Keep in mind that 6K and 66K both have really good tech crouch for Asta, so he can Ring Out you for all high attacks including throws, even when he is at a disadvantage, when your back is to the edge.
Well when your brother learns Astas Command throws and especially their just frame versions you are screwed because the damage is so big it actually forces YOU to stay out of HIS range, which sux. Tech crouches like Taki's 6A, 44B and such help a bit against that, but generally the matchup gets ridiculous at that point lol.
A last tip: use any stances very very sparsely against Asta because 66K/Full Crouch 3K(slower bullrush with better tracking)/throw mix up kills most of your options and ruin your risk/reward ratio.

I think the best strategy will be to keep your distance close, then your only enemy is short lows and throws. But your Taki has all sets of tricks for close range.

Another thing to keep in mind as Taki vs Asta, if you go into PO at neutral or -frames, his 6B+K will beat ALL of your options. POA/B/K hover, step, whatever. Your losing that exchange everytime. Try to stay away from it to the best of your ability.

Edit: Good Asta's will also use 33K instead of 66K bullrush, the reason being if you block it at tip, your not going to be punishing him for doing it due to the spacing/push away, and sometimes the odd BT mindgame he might run. Be very aware if the Asta's you play are doing this.

-Idle

Watch and learn is my advice. This is probably the best Mitsu-Taki Match existing. Look how Rufus is handling Mitsus pressure game, how he is stepping etc.

Part 1 of 3, you'll find the rest. Enjoy.

Speaking as a Mitsu main whose brother mains Taki and Sieg, you need to do a couple things to beat Mitsu consistently with Taki:

1) Learn her (excellent) mid/low mixups, and follow them with bombs and the backwards air flip grab.
2) Master her fast transitions into Possession to extend combos - especially the 3bK214 move.
3) Stay close. Stay close. Stay close.
4) Speed is on your side. Learn your fastest moves and take advantage.

Basic stuff, maybe, since I’m not a Taki master by any stretch. But these are the things that make me swear when my bro starts destroying my Mitsu with her.

EDIT: newsflash... this thread is 3 years old. The OP probably won’t see it, and probably has already learned a lot of anti-Mitsu, LOL. Well, maybe someone else will find the info useful.

Back