Taki's Critical Edge can be punished by entering soul charge.

Yukani

[08] Mercenary
Entering soul charge after taki's critical edge flash will cause you to avoid it. I tried this vs 10 different character and they all got significantly bigger windows to punish Taki on compared to just blocking Taki's critical edge. I also tried avoiding the same 10 characters critical edges by entering soul charge but it didn't work vs any of them.

So we are basically gonna eat a full soul charged combo everytime we try to get a read with our CE and fail. At least it seems like most characters will have big enough window to get a full combo as punish

Well her evasion on the CE is still great its just that we can get punished with a lot of damage if we throw it out. Before i noticed this i thought that even if we failed our CE we wouldn't get punished with a lot of damage for it.

CE has quite a lot of pre flash frames so it can be a hard to react and whiff punish them with it. If i think that my opponent is going to press buttoms i don't think that using CE to out trade whatever they do is such a bad move.. This just means that missreading is very risky. Not all gameplay has to be reactive.

You're supposed to use the CE for whiff punishing generally. If you're doing it raw in neutral for no reason, and they hit you with this SC punish, you probably deserve it. This isn't a big deal at all if you're using the CE correctly.
So i guess that Tomahawk is just a scrub that don't know how to use Taki's CE then?

Here's a video where Geralt (Sonicfox) could have used his soul charge (if he had meter) to punish takis CE and he might have gotten enough damage out of it to win that round. Sure you could argue that Geralt didn't have meter to do this but my point is that Tomahawk who is a top tier player put himself in a possition where he was open to it and im 99% certain that he would have done the same even if Geralt had meter

Even when some of the best players in the world play in a tournament setting they can still fail their CE.

Well he made it sound like only beginners would make the mistake of using their CE in way that it can be blocked. I'm just trying to point out that its more common to make that misstake then he makes it out to be.

Back