Talim Q&A / General Discussion

Am I the only one who go for a WC-something after a GI? <.<
On a similar topic though. Okay, you've just performed a beautiful 22K and danced around your opponent's attack... What now? I usually go for a 1A+B or a throw, but there must be better options?

That would depend on the attack you dodged. If it has slow recovery like Mitsu's 66BB, you have all the time in the world to land something big like a 236B or a 22B launcher. Other than that it depends on your opponent's reaction to 22K. If they try to hit you immediately you should be able to GI them since 22K has fast recovery.

Sometimes if I hit someone with 22K I use WL stuff since some people try to do a 2K/2A to interrupt your next move. At that point, WL will force them into a mixup. 1A+B works well too, especially if they go for a high or a throw. Just be careful with characters with moves faster than i13. 22K is neutral on hit so in that case guarding or GI-ing is your only option.

Hi guys, I'm a newbie at Talim's and also newbie here.
I began to have interest on Talim since I played with Talim JP several months ago.
Now I'm learning her and try to practice with my friends.

I have some problems playing her, especially her range and her "????~Wind Sault" move that many times makes her to self ring out.
How do I fight with long range char e.g. Kilik or Ivy? What move that can make Talim easily get near them (in fact that Kilik or Ivy can easily attack Talim's 8 wayrun)?
And about her self ring out (with ????~Wind Sault)... umm, yeah, my fault... I have to remember all of Talim's move that (auto) continue to Wind Sault, hahaha...

She is very different with my main characters, but very interesting to play.

11B, AS K_A+B, 22_88 K, and your basic dash in, are Talim's only tools for getting in close to opponents with good spacing, such as Ivy or Kilik. 11B jumps over lows and transitions into all of Talim's stances, can also be used for whiff baiting. AS K and AS A+B are Talim's quickest moves out of AS. Since AS jumps over horizontals, it's best used against people who try to punish step alot, i.e. Kilik's 66AA. 22_88 K also jumps over lows, and has a slight forward moment. It sidesteps, so it's good for people who try to punish AS with verticals. I also use WC->AS as most people don't expect it, plus WC can be used to dodge verticals.

As far as self-ROs are concerned, Talim is queen. There's not much you can do except not AS next to the edge of the screen. Talim only has one move that auto AS's and that WC, which can be cancelled into WL by quickly pressing 4.

You also might want to consider moves that TC as they go forward, such as 236B or 66A+B. They're good for sneaking in under high moves(i.e. Kilik's 66A, AA), and 236B is a 60 damage combo launcher.

Cheers for the tip, ZeroEffect!
I know you have little time after 22k, but I didn't know it was neutral on hit... I guess that means you'll have to guess (yet again) how your opponent would react to your starfish dance... Good advice on the WL too! Though I wish WL'd jump a little further back, coz if I use 22K, I'm usually already in hitting range lol

Recently I played a player who likes to throw... Being able to grab me during WC was fair enough, 22K was a little "wtf, bad timing perhaps?"... but this guy managed to grab me right before WL K, not once, but twice in the same match <_< He didn't grab me when Talim was still in the jumping-back phrase, but when she was already in the air with her legs about to kick! Call me a sore loser but who the heck would be able to grab a girl who's about to fly-kick your face?!

I actually had this happen to me in a tournament. I was grabbed out of Windsault by a Cervantes. She had just gotten off the ground and then snatched up into a throw. Me and the other player just looked at each other like... that wasn't supposed to happen. Cost me the round and the set too...

As far as self-ROs are concerned, Talim is queen. There's not much you can do except not AS next to the edge of the screen. Talim only has one move that auto AS's and that WC, which can be cancelled into WL by quickly pressing 4.
The problem with the self-ROs with Talim is not that you want to do Windsault and ring yourself out. The problem is when you want to do something else... like WindLEAP, but the camera goes all funky on you and reads it as a WindSAULT instead (which happens ALL THE TIME). Even though you are holding back, the camera flipped and read it was a forward instead.

Its fucked up how none of Talim's moves track... EXCEPT windsault, and it tends to track herself out of the ring.

I know exactly what you mean. It's BS like that that caused me to self RO from the middle of Phantom Pavilion, the stage with WALLS.

I know exactly what you mean. It's BS like that that caused me to self RO from the middle of Phantom Pavilion, the stage with WALLS.

Oh the joys of playing Talim.
Even if you don't ring out, you're pretty much guaranteed to take hits whenever that happens :S

... Evil camera angle.

Whoa...
I'm beginning to enjoy more and more of Talim, although I still need more and more effort to win a match using her (because I'm still not getting used to her yet). Hahaha...

What should we do after AS A hit?
Is it AS A makes Talim goes into FC? I thought it was, but when I want to stay at FC by holding the down button, Talim goes into WC. Ooops...

After 236B, I used to follow it up with 66B. But sometimes I missed on some characters. Is that 66B has different timing depend on character's size? Or maybe that was just my missed-timing?

on the very rare occasions i land a 236B ill just do a 6A+B, easy, decent damage. im sure theres a few combos available after this, but well... i dont know 'em. i think A+B 236A 236B hits.

:2::3::6::B: :6::6::B: :2::A::+::B:

Something wrong- the things aren't postin right.

EDIT (Eclair): Use capital A/B's :P

Thanks- At the time I did use capitals and it changed em to small when I posted- maybe somethin was bein updated?

check :A::A::B:

Whoa...
I'm beginning to enjoy more and more of Talim, although I still need more and more effort to win a match using her (because I'm still not getting used to her yet). Hahaha...

What should we do after AS A hit?
Is it AS A makes Talim goes into FC? I thought it was, but when I want to stay at FC by holding the down button, Talim goes into WC. Ooops...

After 236B, I used to follow it up with 66B. But sometimes I missed on some characters. Is that 66B has different timing depend on character's size? Or maybe that was just my missed-timing?

Hi, nice that you are willing to give Talim a chance. I think she is one of the most underrated characters ever.

After AS A hits the best thing to do is actually like you said, go into WC! AS A has a guaranteed follow-up wich is WC A,A 2/8. After this you have locked your opponent in a mixup wich is the following.

WC K - A quick mid hitting kick wich tech crouches (goes under quick AA's!!!). It also knocksdown.
WC B,B or WC B*B - The delay launches and guard breaks (but doesn't give any actual advantage). When
you hit the JF there is a free AAB followup.
WC A,A 2/8 or WC A,A,B - I don't reccomend this one since if your opponent ducks your screwed, however
if you hit again you can continue the mix-up, but you have better tools for that.
WC A+G/B+G - Ah, this is the shiny gem in your mix-up arsenal, this throw leaves you BT with advantage.
WC A+K - A very slow low wich knocksdown and RO's from the front. This one can actually be handy vs
opponents who are afraid of your throws and ducks but if they don't see the throw they go back
standing.

In my opinion this mix-up is key for Talim. Her main mix-up damage comes from Wind Leap but Wind Charm is MUCH safer. Now the trick is getting them into this mix-up and either 1A or AS A does that.

Hope this answered your question.

On a other note, does anyone EVER use the 7/8/9 A series? Why in the heck do they link into Wind Transitions? I'd like to add them to my game but since they don't give guarenteed damage and also hits High (so even if you Tech Jump someone, if it leaves them in FC or tech crouch you miss them anyway).

Renzo: Since Prymo answered your AS A question, I'll see about the 236B thing.
Actually pineapplejuice was right with 6A+B being a decent follow up to 236B if your afraid you'll miss 66B. Sometimes 66B won't hit if you launch your opponent off axis. like if you step and punish with it. (And it's a really good step punisher too...)

Prymo: 7_8_9A is near worthless in my opinion. It's only use seems to be if your opponent expects you to use 7_8_9K and tries to step instead of using a low. It's her slowest transition to her stances, so unless it hits, you're screwed no matter what you do.

7A is probably the best choice if you must use it since it'll create some space and allow you to WL even further away if they try to attack. I try to avoid doing this at all, unless I want to just throw something out there no one sees often.

Back