Talim Q&A / General Discussion

Ya I remember your anti-Talim tips (:B::B: and backstep).

I get biffed a lot when I try FC:3::B::B: too (they hit me when I'm in FC) and yet I see OOFMATIC doin it a lot in his vids...
Guess I'm doin it at the wrong time.

With FC 3BB, if you can do it instantly, meaning as soon as you go into crouch, you can avoid being hit out of it. There are also a few set ups you can use for it, like using it after landing 2A. Especially after a CH 2A as it gives +10 on CH.

And while BBs and backstep can be pretty lethal to Talim's wind transitions, it's also situational. For example, BB works against them all if you do WC, WL, or AS after a blocked string. Though AS could jump over their heads and prevent BB from connecting. Backstepping works wonders against WL, but not as well against AS. and so on.

I tend to use AS more often when the opponent is grounded. this way BB and backstepping are nullified. they can roll around or toward you to try and avoid it, but if you use AS K you'll catch their roll every time. If they get up in place, they get a split second 50/50 decision on whether to block low for AS A, or standing for AS B+K. The latter leads to more guaranteed damage and puts you in the same exact position to threaten with the mixup again.

Zero... yeah, BB and backstep work in situations, but Talim TELEGRAPHS... you can see the situation and pick the right option as needed.
And I too tend to use wind sault against grounded characerters... but both of her high damage mixups are LAUNCH PUNISHABLE.

Well yeah, I never said that there's no risk involved, just that if it does work the rewards are good. Needless to say, once you've decided to use it, whoever guesses wrong pays dearly for it. That's what makes it a 50/50 I suppose. While you obviously shouldn't rely on them, I just don't think it's a good idea to forsake the transitions entirely (depending on the situation of course) out of fear of BB, backstepping, or possibly getting punished. Just my opinion.

I'm tryin to use FC:3::B::B: instantly but maybe I'm not fast enough or usin it at the wrong time.
Thanks for the tips and I'll try to keep em in mind (like no jumpin around after a blocked string).

It does seem like the JP playas stand there, see what I do and pick the right option (to punish). I try mixin it up but maybe I'm pickin the wrong moves at the wrong time...

& AS :A::+::B:- When it hits at a certain distance (like it hits their feet) do they have to block low (or is it still a high)? It seems like when I hit people at that distance many of em can't/don't block it (that said- a few people have GId (at normal distance) it before).

nah, AS A+B is all mids. they're probably not blocking it because they didn't expect the move to reach them from so far away. It's range is deceptively long.

Well yeah, I never said that there's no risk involved, just that if it does work the rewards are good. Needless to say, once you've decided to use it, whoever guesses wrong pays dearly for it. That's what makes it a 50/50 I suppose. While you obviously shouldn't rely on them, I just don't think it's a good idea to forsake the transitions entirely (depending on the situation of course) out of fear of BB, backstepping, or possibly getting punished. Just my opinion.
Yeah... you CANT forsake this mixup, its simply one of Talim's best methods to get damage... I'm not saying you shouldn't do it...
What I'm saying is that its a reason why she is low tier. So many other characters have better mixups that are a lot safer.

Yeah... you CANT forsake this mixup, its simply one of Talim's best methods to get damage... I'm not saying you shouldn't do it...
What I'm saying is that its a reason why she is low tier. So many other characters have better mixups that are a lot safer.

yep, can't argue with that.

I also think the good playas have good Yomi (re prediction and timing) too.
It may be somethin you just have and not necessarily learnable.

But we can all learn to be better playas.

ZeroEffect317- Ya, I guess you're right. At long distances AS :A::+::B: hits opponents in the legs and they probably don't expect it, don't have time to block or don't know where to block.

Question for you guys. Who here still uses 1A+B?

Even though it only launches on CH i get it off occasionally since its fast and TC. Thoughts?

I still use 1A+B. It's a great move for interrupting strings that end in highs. It's very useful against Taki as it beats anything of hers out of PO that isn't hover or 8wr. Unfortunately, even with the launch on CH, there isn't much you can follow it up with since the recovery is so long. On bigger characters though you can do AAB to juggle though.

Eclair- Long time no hear!

I still use :1::A::+::B: (but I try to use all her stuff).

ZeroEffect317- Didn't know about the :A::A::B: followup- thanks!

an open challenge

i am currently lookin for the best talim user so if u want to fight me please add me an send me an invite and ill take u on

Zeroeffect:
If they get up in place, they get a split second 50/50 decision on whether to block low for AS A, or standing for AS B+K. The latter leads to more guaranteed damage and puts you in the same exact position to threaten with the mixup again.

When I AS b+K from uki, the opponent always ends up to my side, or at a wierd angle. Even if they don't roll. anyone else xperience this? (mostly happens when i 2 A+B, AS b+k)

Also does AS K, hit low blocks?

I've been using 9b ALOT lately. I follow up with wind, ice juggle. Anyone use this?

Thx for the WC a+k that move is the shyt.

Sometimes the character will get up off axis forcing Talim's AS B+K to miss when it shouldn't normally. And, as much as it confuses me, no... AS K doesn't hit crouching opponents. To me this makes no sense because even though the AS K registers as a High, the move does hit grounded opponents. Like Siegfried/Nightmare's dropkick. But oh well.

I personally only attempt 9B when looking for Soul gauge damage. It crushes in 11 blocks and is perfectly safe. I tried using it as an alternative to blocking lows, but usually it's too slow to get off the ground and I end up being hit. It's also a high so most lows go underneath it anyway. Otherwise, nothing really wrong with using it, I just don't use it much.

WC A+K will probably be the least used move in your WC repertoire. Having a low for WC sounds nice in theory, but you can see it coming from a mile away. While I think it's relatively safe on block and it does have the surprise element, there are better options if the opponent is standing guard, such as WC A+G.

I've tried to use it to duck highs, but I find her movement's a little too slow. If your opponent is experienced with Talim, using it will give your opponent more than enough time to hit her out of it. Personally, it only really connects if I use it against confused opponents, or as a follow up on a stunned/downed opponent. Again, there are better options out there with the later scenarios.

Don't drop it though, it's still useful in mix-ups. Let them know you have a low and you're prepared to use it... and they just might crouch and give you a free WC B, WC K or whatever.

Well, I'm not a very good player, but that's my 2 cents anyway... lol

I find from the videos i do the AA 6B A combo A LOT more than others. there are just so many mix-ups and its quite fast. WC A+K although slow, has had 100% success rate for me lol, since i've started using it. People always block low, think its a high and i can floor them. and begin my rampage.

I'd like to play some ppl. from here, and pick up some new tactics. HIt my live ID w/a msg or friend's request if your looking for some "good" practice

Back