Talim Q&A / General Discussion

What do people use when whiffpunishing with Talim, for stuff that doesn't tech crouch 66B, 2A+B should work, but for stuff that does tech crouch, what do you use?

33A is maybe the fastest mid punisher when in 8WR, otherwise 1A+B if you are close enough. If you made them whiff with your Wind Charmer spin, then WC B:B is always nice. If the whiff frames are great enough after you sidewalk a move, 22_88B~juggle works well.

At close range 2A is a special mid that will interrupt most moves. It also sets up more options with the wake ups.

So does talim have any good ground punishment? When I knock a guy down and he's rollin everywhere all I can do it kick at the guy.

If he's close 2 A+B.
Farther- 3 K A (many people just think/know about the K so the two As (low) may hit em).

66 A+B may surprise em.

If you think he's about to get up you may get him in a throw if you time it right.

For rollers I usually just 1K them until they stand up. It's a good bit of damage and can't be rolled at all.

I think I've heard that B's a good fast option (with mix ups possible after).

Since they may try to reGI you gotta keep em guessin and you shouldn't keep doin the same move unless it's guaranteed.

The best option depends on how much advantage you have (for 'free' damage) or what you can get away with.

With some people you can hit em with 66A+B. They may try to reGI and your 66A+B will CH em with knock down/back.
If they try a high you can 2K. Or the 1A+B (ducks their highs) as you do. I think there are many options/possibilities.

Is anything free after WL B? In SC2 you could get a free 44B after Payon Thrust... but not in SC4.

Jaxel- Did you try 2A+B or 1K?- they work for WL K and WL A.

Dark Talent- If they block the 3B,B I don't think you can do the WL B (can you?).

EDIT- my Q
My son's gettin me with Cervy. What's good against teleport and the thing where Cervy jumps up and comes down, esp if he does it multiple times (especially tough to get out of if you get grounded)?

You can do it by inputting FC 3B,B~4 WL B.
Against Cervy, if you mean 4B+K, I use 8wr sideways then B(so the intput is 22_88B)
or GI, if your on the ground I think your best option might be to stand up and guard the first 1 and then counter with 1 of these.
If your refering to 4A+B(he teleports backwards then does something similar to his 214B twice) I tend to try and GI if im safe or if I think my opponent is about to try it I use 66B as it interupts for a CH before he can teleport. If your at a disadvantage, say post a whiffed 6B+K, AS A+B I don't think you can do anything exept eat the hit.

EDIT: Should I post Talim frame data in a new thread or just add it to the wiki?

Dark Talent- Oh didn't really think about WL from 3B, B (I usually do the WS). WL B can be blocked but don't know if it can be interrupted. Usually the opponent is too far back to use it- I don't really use it.
Thanks for the tips!
I was usin 22_88 K but I'll try it w/B instead.
Usually I'm too far away to do a 66B. I'll try 6B+K, AS A+B.
I think both Cervy moves are GB (or are at least on CH) and the Teleport can be comboed to take away about 50% of your health bar.

shauno- will do, should I wait until im done or post as I get it?
Talim_JP dont use 6 B+K A+B, it gives Cervy a free CH with 4A+B. I use 66B after I run in when.

If your that far away you might be able to step/8wr it, if not GI as its a very predictable attack. If your far enough away to WL away from it you can sometimes land a WL A+B, which is always nice to get, however im not sure if its garaunteed(my friend couldn't dodge it but that could just be his bad stepping reflexs.

Jaxel- Did you try 2A+B or 1K?- they work for WL K and WL A.

After WL A, I always do FC 3BB WS A+K (free)
After WL K, I always do 44B (free, gives WS mixups)
is 2A+B free after WL B?

But yeah, the problem with the WL moves are that none of them ever reach unless an opponent is rushing in. If the opponent is attacking, they will hit you out of the leap. If the opponent is defending, they wont reach them... so for most characters you play against, WL is very risky. It really makes me wish WL was more like Yunseong, Raph or Xianghua 44B.

It saddens me how slow and unsafe Talim is. I see people do these high damage moves, and whiff... and I try to counter-attack immediately and they can block it. Then Talim does some slow as poke, not even a launcher, and I feel like she has 30 frames of recovery.

I used to use 66AA on run in in SC2, but now that its 44AA, its increasingly hard to do.

I also used to use 66K mixed up with RUN K in SC2... It was a GREAT mixup because it was hard to determine when 2 steps forward was a Run K or a 66K. So it was a great mid-low mixup. But now that you have to run 4 steps to get a Run K, and 66K is now 44K... I can never use it.

Back