Talim Q&A / General Discussion

I used to use AA6BA alot more than I do now, but a few of my opponents caught on and started to duck the last A. Even worse, some of them started using counter attacks that TCed the A and punished me for it. I do have a lot more success with the delayed AA~6BA since, after using AA by itself a few times, people will normally drop their guard to attack. It's still a decent string due to the mix up potential, but when facing players that adapt to Talim pretty well, it's not abuseable.
Yo, I'm really starting to like 1A+B much more now. Along with negating Taki's PO attacks (outside of Hover and 8WR) it also negates Nightmare's GS transitions completely even though the timing on GS KK is a bit more strict. Frame traps like Amy's 1KA, Xianghua's 44AA, Cassandra's BK, and Ivy's CL 6AK (not often used) are all stuffed by 1A+B after blocking the first hit. It even negates any of Ivy's mix-up options out of her CL A+B cancel. Make sure she cancels first before throwing it out there, otherwise you risk big stun damage from CL A+B A+K

Now, if you have the reflexes and concentration, you could replace 1A+B with ducking and using WS A or even 236B... but in most cases the timing is extremely strict so 1A+B is the next best bet.

1A+B is great. I also use it alot when i'm putting pressure on people in UKI, it will floor low blocking opponents.

follow up juggle is AAB once i saw someone juggle me with A+K then AAB (never works for me tho)

Ya know, it's funny that you keep harping on about Ivy's CL (and I know it's good after doing some reading about it)

The few Ivy players I've played act like CL is the plague.

It's just kinda odd to me.

Hey all,

I just wanted to say that after a few matches with PrinceAli I've gotton alot more used to using 66A+B or 66A+B,G.

Advantages: It's a mid (in the sense of it's no high), it's a GB (although not too much + frames), you can cancel it into BT mix-ups. Nice SG damage. It TC'es (IIRC?) and also has nice Ring Out potential. You can also use it as a tech trap (although I am trying to discuss it's normal use)

Disadvantages : It doesn't track at all, very linear. It's a bit on the slow side but not too much.

I can be horribly wrong on some parts though, I ain't so good in Theoryfighting :).
But in my eyes this move is totally worth it to throw out some times. It's just like 1A+B wich happens to catch alot of people offgaurd. I especially like the part that you can cancel it IF the opponent tries to step it. But I can be looking to much on the bright side of this move that I don't see the major negatives. But that's just me.

P.S. And yeah I am that kind of person who thinks that every move is usable in the right situation :). (Except 1B...I haven't found a single use for that one yet.)

:1::B: is a quick move, a nice followup.

I throw it out there sometimes to chip off some of the life bar.

It has more damage than the :B: in :3::B::A:. If the person is used to blockin the :A: part of this move maybe you can use :1::B: and then a throw.

if we both hav less then 20% life, sometimes ill just spam 22k and 88k....pisses people off so badly...good times....good times

Okay there is one thing that has pissed me off this session at online (yes online I know...)

Whenever I combo'ed someone for example AS A+B, 2A+B 6 AS. You know that after the 2A+B it bounces your opponent right into your AS zone. So I like to play mix-up alot so I do AS after the 2A+B. Now you would assume that the mix-up would be:

1: AS A, obvious for techers and people who just lay on the ground and people who don't guard low so much.
2: AS B+K, for the ones that do duck after getting up, also hit ppl who just lay on the ground.
3: AS K, this one hits rollers so very important aswell

You would think that this is a true uninterruptable mix-up. It is true that it isn't interruptable but it certainly isn't a mix-up. As I saw today online there were plenty of people who just rolled a bit to either side and then guarded low, every single time. So ofcourse my instinct says AS B+K. !!!!WRONG!!! This move is so fcking linear that it always goes off-axis. So yeah maybe A A+B? !!!WRONG!!! They are still on the ground when you do that move so you fly right over them. Okay I give up A K? !!!WRONG!!! Whiffs on ducked opponents...

So what you have is a mix-up wich should be a mix-up but it ISN'T! I know I could just cancel and then do 22B or 2A+B again but that's not my point, my point is that this should be a mix-up but....argh!

Okay rant over thanks for listening :P

yeah, that's one reason why talim is... pretty bad. That's all you have to do to beat that tech trap.

But i've figured out something you can do to get around that. Actually makes sense.

If you know they're going to tech to the side so that AS B+K is not an option, then what you do is instead of doing the AS from a command, you wait a moment then you AS.

That way, instead of jumping where they're teching from, you're just gunna AS to where they are now.

Prymo: Do you remember who the person was using when they did this? I tested this before in training mode and I could never beat out all the options from AS by rolling a little and guarding low. If I rolled and guarded low, I could beat out all but AS K. (Not enough time after recovery to get off the ground before AS K hits.) If I teched and guarded low, I could avoid everything else except for AS A+B. (Hits mid and therefore can't be guarded low.)

Maybe it's online that causes this to happen, or perhaps this thing is character specific due to some hitbox glitch or something, I dunno.

Thanks for all the replies so far:

Just one question, if I don't use the command 2A+B 6 and rather just wait (as Dogysamich said). Will I catch rollers with AS B+K then? Or will that miss aswell?

And yeah that whole AS K if they are rolling too long or AS A+B if they are rising quick is probably an online issue. Still I think that this mix-up is a bit....if the opponent is smart he is just going to roll to avoid the high damage mix-up and getting some low damage from AS K.

Just one question, if I don't use the command 2A+B 6 and rather just wait (as Dogysamich said). Will I catch rollers with AS B+K then? Or will that miss aswell?

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you can catch rollers with AS B+K at any time, even with the wait.

And yeah that whole AS K if they are rolling too long or AS A+B if they are rising quick is probably an online issue. Still I think that this mix-up is a bit....if the opponent is smart he is just going to roll to avoid the high damage mix-up and getting some low damage from AS K.

Yeah it's true if they stay grounded they will take less damage from Windsault moves, but what most people don't realize is that Talim actually has some good moves to eat up life bar from grounded opponents.

Aside from AS K, if they're still on the ground 2A+B or 2K will stop them from rolling around. If 2A+B lands you can just repeat this until they see they have to get up at some point. There's also 22B, 11B or 44B into WC A+K, etc... It's not an amazingly threatening oki game, but it's worthy of attention.

When I say AS manually as opposed to 6 (AS), i was implying that you're waiting for them to stop moving rather than do your automatic AS.

IE

when you do some like,

236B, 66B, 2A+B(6)

Instead of doing 2A+B(6), you do 2A+B, let them tech, and then AS. That way, Talim will jump at where they roll instead of where they land. If they like, continue to roll, you might be able to catch them with AS A, but continually rolling does thwart this, sort of.

_____

But yeah, you gotta help Talim out as much as you can in these situations. She's not exactly the brightest character in the game. She falls for these sorts of things all the time.

Yes, I will gladly blame my losses on Talim being retarded instead of me being horrid at this game. I have to keep my self esteem up. :D

I think we can't fully blame Talim, you're a team and she's just tryin to do what you tell her.

She just jumps were the person is at the time you ask her to jump.

;)

I mean lets think about this for a sec

1) She trips.
2) There can be all sorts of red lights and warning signs to say spin and stop, but she wants to spin and jump into the rape.
3) She's easily distracted by her own tonfa (or whatever they're called)

She's not exactly the brightest person in the game. I mean, I could say that about alot of characters, but I love poking fun at Talim cause well, she's kool with it. Sometimes we dont agree on things, but everything always work out in the end.

... that or I get upset and go play Cass for a while cause she listens to reason.

haha, I suppose blaming Talim for losses is, at least, making more progress than accusing the opponent of "cheating" or using a "broke character".

And as dumb as she might look tripping, how much dumber does the opponent look for getting knocked down by that?

Even Cass has lapses in judgement. I dunno about y'all, but if my opponent carries a sword or an axe, I don't wanna fly ass first into them. But in the end... everyone looks smart when you compare them to Yoshimitsu.

Even Cass has lapses in judgement. I dunno about y'all, but if my opponent carries a sword or an axe, I don't wanna fly ass first into them. But in the end... everyone looks smart when you compare them to Yoshimitsu.
Yeah, I think about Cass's ass all the time (take that how you will, lol).

But yoshi, I can agree that he doesnt really think things through either. Sittin down on the job and stabbin himself. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I dont think you get much lower than that.

Maxi's always checkin his hair when he kicks somebody in the face. He'd probably be better off shaving it, or getting a du-rag like Yun.

When has Talim ever been distracted by her tonfa?

Oh i dunno, pretty much everytime she swings it. Look at most of the animations when she swings. Half of it is kinda flailing the tonfa around to get it back into a read position.

SHE DOESNT NEED TO DO ALL THAT. But she's got that A.D.O.P.

Attention Deposit .."Oh, pretty!"

__

But seriously, alot of the recovery frames for her attacks are her spinning her tonfa around. It's not like even like, stepping back into her normal stance, it's tonfa spinning.

-sigh-

Back