Talim Q&A / General Discussion

If you're trying to test for tech traps go to training mode. Pause and set the training dummy to free style. After that go to where it says "free style settings" and leave the 1st action alone and make the 2nd action "Standing ALL Guard".

Then where it says Ukemi (aka tech) you can set the direction you want them to tech. When you do all this, try out your tech trap. The dummy will be knocked down and automatically tech (in the direction you told it to) and attempt to block your trap.

If the dummy blocks it or escapes by teching, then the trap doesn't work. If they tech and get hit, then you've found a tech trap.

Some traps only catch tech in certain directions, but not all directions so make sure you go through all the ukemi directions to see if it works.

is it alright if i fight someone good with talim? i feel that i need some improvement and i want to see what you have to say. that's because when i watch talim videos, they don't seem to be that much different from me.

I personally haven't played online in nearly a year. And I think all the people who've been frequenting this Talim forum are PSN players only though.

I'm on the 360 (as are most JP playas) and am online (no choice) almost every weekend.
We try to get together to play when we can (but it can be as long as a few months in between).

I'm in Japan though and only play 5 bars.

I'm on the 360 (as are most JP playas) and am online (no choice) almost every weekend.
We try to get together to play when we can (but it can be as long as a few months in between).

I'm in Japan though and only play 5 bars.

alright. can i send you a friend request so i can see when we're both online? i'm not sure how my connection is....so we'll have to see. hope to see you later.

Connection will be terrible if you're in the States, worse if you're in Europe.
Prob a 3 bar unless you are in CA.

For fun OK but to see how good you are doiin not.

I played a pretty decent talim online yesterday....
Her name was Kassy somethin...the only problem she had was relying aa6ba even when I constantly duck it
She didn't rely lows or bs which wass good...
Idk just felt like sharing that.....carry on

Me and cappuccinojones got some (3 bar, because of the distance) games in.

He seems to be comin along well, got some combos down and even some GIin.

I tried playing online a few days ago and couldn't beat anybody even half decent. I don't care what anyone says, Talim gets no online boost at all. If she does, she must get the least amount out of everyone.

Zero- online 2A/2K, FC3BB is your best friend... It's not something to use a lot offline(you know that, I'm sure) but spam the shit out of it online and you'll win a majority of your matches. People online suck and will try to hit you after the 2A/2K giving you FC3BB on counter hit usually.

Also if they do actually catch on and start blocking the FC3BB than mix it up with 236B+G 214A_B or just more 2K's until they duck...Talim works a lot of people online still.

Or just spam 6B+K --> A/B+K 'mixups'. Even if you have defenses for them, it's near impossible to either GI or guard it on reaction online.

Or just do 1a/11a....and yea 2a is a frame trap online...so yea ur not doing it right....lol
Even though I agree she's not as boosted as she is just more solid....all the shit that is punishable becomes safe.....think 33a and AS a+b

Talim seems to get the least of everyone in every dept, haha.

The guys I play online are used to/know Talim and are 5 bar so I mostly use the tactics/moves that I use offline (because of the delay moves are harder to block online though- but that works both ways, haha).

We aren't able to get together much so unfortunately I have to play more online than offline.

Dr. Tom - Yeah you're right, this definitely works often online. You'd be surprised how often this works offline also. It's good for if people backstep after eating 2A. Free CH damage.

LostProvidence - WindSault mixups are very viable offline, actually. I guess that's why I never saw that as much of a boost.

SupHy - haha, yes... 1As are the ultimate lag-tactics.

I know that you can play a lag-friendly Talim using offense. But the problem is defensively you get killed. Even on 5 bar sometimes.

Talim's interrupts/counters specifically are hard to land properly so you have to block most of the time when you get aggressive opponents. (Not the spammy ones, but ones who sort of know what they're doing.) I beat this nightmare player but he almost CFed me... (It's that bad). I'm sure I could've adjusted in time to the loads of anti-character differences online, (stuff you can't punish, GI, or evade due to lag) but it just got too boring to not be able to play as well with the limitations.

:2::A: is a good fast low.

I sometimes use it for the finishin move online. If the person needs just one more hit and they keep blockin the highs then I let go with a low.
I also use it (or a low kick) on grounded opponents.

But, as with any move, don't abuse it- if the opponent keeps blockin/GIin it or beatin it out w/another move then use w/caution.

2A can be blocked standing as it's a Special Low, not a regular low like 2K. It also doesn't hit grounded opponents.

As for if you should use it often. Sure.
2A is one of Talim's only moves that kills step and isn't a high. It's one of her best in close tools for interrupts and pressure. It also TCs at some point like most 2As. Gives +4 on hit and +8 on CH. Talim has decent crouch moves and ws moves you can use afterwards as frame traps.

I was gonna say, 2A sure ain't low. If it WAS... boooooooooooy...
Good for interrupting and going into crouch for some WR stuff.

Back