Is the Male Gaze oppressing women?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Mighty Omega smells

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters
I used to always mention how there are tons of propaganda celebrating fat women and how we should accept them. Then pointing out that the media never does the same for fat guys. The general response I would get is that women have obesity worse somehow and worse social pressures.
Obese men are treated differently than obese women are, and there is much more representation (And more positive representation) for fat men than there is for fat women (Think of how many different sitcoms and movies there are that have overweight men, and then compare that with overweight women). Obese women are devalued by society at large because they're more perceived as being "ugly" (Or not sexually attractive), since appearance is a much more strict social construct for women than it is for men overall.

The reason there's so much media and stuff promoting obese women is just for an awareness thing, basically just saying it's okay for women to be overweight. It focuses on women for the reasons stated above, there's just not as much representation for women as there is for men.

Personally I don't really care about fat acceptance too much, but this ties into sexism which I do care about.

Paragon you fool. All those fat men TV shows were designed to present men as bumbling and stupid while their hot wife ran their lives. You've let yourself become subverted by the media's obsession with emasculating men.

(Also, Paragon is fat apparently.)

Obese men are treated differently than obese women are, and there is much more representation (And more positive representation) for fat men than there is for fat women (Think of how many different sitcoms and movies there are that have overweight men, and then compare that with overweight women). Obese women are devalued by society at large because they're more perceived as being "ugly" (Or not sexually attractive), since appearance is a much more strict social construct for women than it is for men overall.

The reason there's so much media and stuff promoting obese women is just for an awareness thing, basically just saying it's okay for women to be overweight. It focuses on women for the reasons stated above, there's just not as much representation for women as there is for men.

Personally I don't really care about fat acceptance too much, but this ties into sexism which I do care about.

So fat men aren't perceived as ugly? They are perceived as sexually attractive? Come on man, if this was true awareness. Why exclude half of everyone suffering from said problem? Fat guys don't have it easy, to only address one half of an issue. Really isn't awareness but sexism. Many fat men and women in media are perceived as comic relief. Laugh at the fat person, etc, etc. One of the biggest examples of this is Rebel Wilson. Who is a female.

So fat men aren't perceived as ugly? They are perceived as sexually attractive? Come on man, if this was true awareness. Why exclude half of everyone suffering from said problem? Fat guys don't have it easy, to only address one half of an issue. Really isn't awareness but sexism. Many fat men and women in media are perceived as comic relief. Laugh at the fat person, etc, etc. One of the biggest examples of this is Rebel Wilson. Who is a female.
I'm not saying fat men aren't also discriminated against or have it easy, I'm saying fat women are discriminated against more, and in worse ways overall. A lot of fat awareness stuff doesn't exclude men anyway, it just focuses more on women. You are definitely right that a lot of the time obese people are in media is just to laugh at them, though.

Last edited:
I'm not saying fat men aren't also discriminated against or have it easy, I'm saying fat women are discriminated against more, and in worse ways overall. A lot of fat awareness stuff doesn't exclude men anyway, it just focuses more on women. You are definitely right that a lot of time obese people are in media is just to laugh at them, though.

How do you know it effects women more? What proof of there is this? And if media is your proof, there are a ton of fat women in media today. Hell, maybe more than men.

Also, explain how this is directed towards or helps men.

fatshaminginner.JPG

Fat-Acceptance-Body-Love-Women.jpg

virgie.jpg

She isn't gonna stick a peanut butter cookie in her vag is she?

Edit: oh right, thats the joke.

I think being fat is far more degenerate then being skinny.
Skinny people are trackstars and swimmers

How do you know it effects women more? What proof of there is this? And if media is your proof, there are a ton of fat women in media today. Hell, maybe more than men.

Also, explain how this is directed towards or helps men.
It effects women more because a woman's overall appearance and perceived sexual attractiveness are valued far differently than they are for men, and contribute a lot to how many people think about them because this is the society we live in. To be honest, the last time I regularly watched TV or movies was like 5 years ago, so if there are more overweight women in media now than there used to be, then that's good I guess. Media reflects society, so it might mean fat acceptance is catching on more.

It helps obese men because it's raising fat acceptance awareness overall, it's not like it's necessarily excluding men. Like I said, it's just focused on women.

It's worth noting that being fat isn't a constitutive element of one's identity like race, gender, or sexual orientation. It's a function of diet and lifestyle, both of which are controllable. Given statistics like these, isn't normalizing fatness socially irresponsible?

It effects women more because a woman's overall appearance and perceived sexual attractiveness are valued far differently than they are for men, and contribute a lot to how many people think about them because this is the society we live in. To be honest, the last time I regularly watched TV or movies was like 5 years ago, so if there are more overweight women in media now than there used to be, then that's good I guess. Media reflects society, so it might mean fat acceptance is catching on more.

It helps obese men because it's raising fat acceptance awareness overall, it's not like it's necessarily excluding men. Like I said, it's just focused on women.

So making an issue seem one sided and not mentioning the other side is raising awareness for everyone? I can't see how that begins to make sense lol. If too much of media is focused on promoting fat women and next to none for promoting fat men. There becomes an imbalance of perception. We automatically assume women suffer from this problem more. Which doesn't seem close to reality.

And I don't disagree that women are perceived differently in terms of sexuality. But in terms of media, it tends to balance out. Look at the news for instance. The man is older, well groomed, and distinguished. The woman anchor is always younger, wears a dress, and tons of make up. Both men and women are adhering to social norms and what people want to look at. In terms of weight, both men and woman are perceived as comic relief when they are fat. Men in media have plenty of problems. For instance, the red carpet, men are pretty much expected to only wear black suites. Women can wear a ton of different things though.

To say women have it worse with 0 evidence is foolish.

You could be genetically inclined to fatness but fuck if I know to what extent.

Genetics has very little to do with it. Diet is always the main key to being skinny, then exercise. Most fat people tend to eat a lot more food.

The "genetic inclination" toward fatness is by and large a myth. Fat parents tend to have fat kids mostly because they pass on their shitty lifestyle. The BBC did a good documentary on a lot of these myths called The Truth About Your Food. It's all available on youtube--sample here.

It's worth noting that being fat isn't a constitutive element of one's identity like race, gender, or sexual orientation. It's a function of diet and lifestyle, both of which are controllable. Given statistics like these, isn't normalizing fatness socially irresponsible?
It can be related to genetics, but I think actual cases like that and not people just being lazy are relatively rare. Being obese is obviously unhealthy, and it also bugs me when people treat being overweight like it's totally fine. I mean, if you want to die at 40 from a heart attack and have your knees disintegrate, be my guest, but don't try and call it being healthy, lol. The people that think that are mainly lunatics on tumblr or wherever, though. Most fat acceptance stuff is just about treating overweight people like you generally would anyone else (From what I understand at least), and not constantly deriding them for being fat or whatever.

Something to keep in mind about being overweight is that it can increasingly be tied to social standing/class. Many poor people don't have access to good quality food, and with how cheap shit like mcdonald's is, well, you can imagine how that turns out.

I'm not saying a fat gene would make you fat like I'm not saying dyslexia makes you a retard.

If you Google fat gene you'd get a ton of shit about it, even from places like the NHS.

Edit: But yeah obesity is your fault unless you're really fucking unlucky.

Last edited:
Back