Tekken 6 PS3 Discussion

Exactly, Tekken 6 was built for the PS3's hardware. Thus, the PS3 version will be the superior version. The reason why PS3 games are far more difficult to port to the 360 than vice-versa is because the 360's hardware specs are inferior, not to mention the media used for PS3 games versus 360 games (Blu-ray vs HD DVD). Blu-ray can store far more data than a HD DVD. They are going to have to compress quite a bit of things to get it to fit on an HD DVD if they truly took advantage of PS3's hardware.

Doesn't the 360 use regular DVD-9?

HD-DVD's only been used for movies, as far as I know.

Just an observation.

I find it hard to believe that a DVD's storage capacity is a relevant bottleneck to 360 performance as far as a game like Tekken 6 goes. If anything, it would be an advantage due to the faster read speed.

Doesn't the 360 use regular DVD-9?

HD-DVD's only been used for movies, as far as I know.

Just an observation.

That's correct actually. I'm reminded that Microsoft had to release an add-on unit for the 360 to play HD-DVDs. I completely forgot about that. Of course they discontinued the product since HD-DVD lost the format war.

Exactly, Tekken 6 was built for the PS3's hardware. Thus, the PS3 version will be the superior version. The reason why PS3 games are far more difficult to port to the 360 than vice-versa is because the 360's hardware specs are inferior, not to mention the media used for PS3 games versus 360 games (Blu-ray vs HD DVD). Blu-ray can store far more data than a HD DVD. They are going to have to compress quite a bit of things to get it to fit on an HD DVD if they truly took advantage of PS3's hardware.

I really wish more info was readily available about System 357, but I'll do my best without it.

1 - Arcade systems and console systems, even if they share the same hardware, cannot be directly compared like you are doing. How much RAM does System 357 have? Is it shared, like on the PS3? How many SPEs does it have? What's the clock speed of it's core? These things are important when saying that it's optimized for PS3.
Looking at what (little) info there is online, System 357 is not identical to a PS3. The PS3 cell has 1 PPE at 3.5 ghz, and 7 SPEs. System 357 has 1 PPE at 3.2 ghz, and only 6 SPEs, so it is not the same system at all. No mention of how much memory System 357 (or the Tekken 6 box) has, so can't compare there.

2 - The reason games might be difficult to port from PS3 to 360 is most likely not due to hardware differences but to software differences (I can't confirm that they are, as I have yet to hear of ANY game studio that develops for PS3 first, then ports to 360. Tekken 6 may be the first example of such a game. And no, Virtua Fighter 5 does not count, it used the Sega Lindbergh system).
The PS3 is extremely difficult to program for. This is why most companies develop for 360 first, because they can get the core game done faster. Then they can just port the system specific items. Overall a huge cost saving maneuver.

God it feels good to talk hardware, been too long. :)

EDIT:
I hope everyone's seen the new Tekken 6 trailer. Awesomeness incarnate.

Awesomeness incarnate indeed. Having not yet even played T6 core, I'm excited to be able to try 4 new characters.

And to add to this, wasn't SoulCalibur 2's arcade board supposedly based on PS2 hardware? The PS2 port ended up being the worst of all the three console ports. Not trying to start a console war, but I think there's misinformation and misconceptions being floated around regarding multi-platform development.

And to add to this, wasn't SoulCalibur 2's arcade board supposedly based on PS2 hardware? The PS2 port ended up being the worst of all the three console ports. Not trying to start a console war, but I think there's misinformation and misconceptions being floated around regarding multi-platform development.

That's always the case, and my goal in posting was simply to point out that it's not as simple as "this is PS3 arcade hardware, so PS3 version will be better".

Re: SC2 - According to Wikipedia, here's the scoop.

Namco System 246 (Arcade SC2) is a 128-bit 300mhz "Emotion Engine", 32 MB of RAM, and the graphics clock at 150 mhz.

The PS2 is a 64-bit Emotion Engine running at 294 mhz (299 if it's a new slim system), 32 MB of RAM, and graphics clock at 147 mhz.

I think the death knell for SC2 on PS2 was the shared RAM the PS2 uses. I have no technical data to back this up, but considering both the arcade and PS2 use the exact same amount of RAM, but the PS2 shares it's RAM between all functions, I would guess the slowdown came from this (the 6 mhz difference on the core, and 3 mhz difference on graphics probably didn't help either).

On another note, it's impossible to compare PS3 to 360 in the way that is being done. 360 is a triple-core Intel system with a custom dual-core ATI graphics chip. The PS3 is an 8 core (debatable) Sony architecture, with a modified NV47 (GeForce 7800) graphics chip. The two simply cannot be compared.

that trailer looks sexy as hell. i've never played a tekken game but i think that will have to change come "autumn 2009".

I'm glad that this trailer came out as it confirms that T6:BR is the version we're getting (or maybe even a later revision of that!) Woooooooooooooo!

I'm glad that this trailer came out as it confirms that T6:BR is the version we're getting (or maybe even a later revision of that!) Woooooooooooooo!

I thought this had been confirmed earlier?
Either way yes, very good news. Bob shall not dominate home consoles! :)

Bob shall not dominate home consoles! :)

I dunno. Namdai still has 8 or so months to screw that up.

I just hope that they PLEASE do the online right this time. STHD online brings a tear to my eye, and I hope BR does the same.

i honestly dont want online if the net code is as bad as sc4

How do you know the netcode is bad in SC4? Did you write it?
Too many things factor into network latency to blame the network code of the game, and simply by virtue of it being online it will never, ever be the same as local play. Don't make blanket statements as if they were fact unless you can back them up.

On an aside, it's probably going to be more akin to T5:DR on PSN, which I've *heard* is not bad (but have not played it, so I don't know).

I dunno. Namdai still has 8 or so months to screw that up.

I just hope that they PLEASE do the online right this time. STHD online brings a tear to my eye, and I hope BR does the same.

From what I've read, they already rebalanced him in BR arcade, but it's true, they could issue more balance patches that mess it up. At least these days they have the option of issuing updates to consoles as well as arcade machines.

How do you know the netcode is bad in SC4? Did you write it?
Too many things factor into network latency to blame the network code of the game, and simply by virtue of it being online it will never, ever be the same as local play. Don't make blanket statements as if they were fact unless you can back them up.

On an aside, it's probably going to be more akin to T5:DR on PSN, which I've *heard* is not bad (but have not played it, so I don't know).

Never played DRO either, but I've heard otherwise. Nothing but complaints. Actually heard that SC4 was better, and that's pretty damned bad.

As for SC4, I'd say the netcode IS bad, even without seeing it. VF5 gets nothing but high marks about its online play. STHD plays great, and that's from lots of first-hand experience in the usual high pings I have to deal with. At worst, the game gets very jumpy or you get weird rollbacks with the game trying to keep up. But that is nowhere near as bad as full-second input lag that persists for an entire match, or the 10- to 15-frame lag that's the average in the 4-bar rooms.

Just basing off of other fighting games, let alone games in general, I think Project Soul dropped the ball. The lobby system, the "options" system, disconnect penalties, the color-coded representation of ping times, along with how the netcode handles the game in a laggy environment, etc. There are a lot of things about SC4 online that just flat out suck.

both games are equally bad during online. and with today's internet connection you won't see lagfree online fighting for a long time. live with it.

You won't see lagfree online playing in any game ever period. But that doesn't mean everyone should accept obviously piss-poor online play when history has shown that you can minimize the perceived lag greatly as long as the code accounts for it. Many games today show this.

Online play has existed for over 15 years now, back when people were playing fast twitch shooters over 56K connections and worse.

There is simply no excuse for any game today to consistently suck online. None.

2 - The reason games might be difficult to port from PS3 to 360 is most likely not due to hardware differences but to software differences (I can't confirm that they are, as I have yet to hear of ANY game studio that develops for PS3 first, then ports to 360. Tekken 6 may be the first example of such a game. And no, Virtua Fighter 5 does not count, it used the Sega Lindbergh system).
The PS3 is extremely difficult to program for. This is why most companies develop for 360 first, because they can get the core game done faster. Then they can just port the system specific items. Overall a huge cost saving maneuver.

i'm not really tech savvy, so a lot of the lingo is very foreign to me. But to help you with some examples of what games were developed on ps3, I believe, Burnout paradise was developed on the ps3 and then ported to the 360. not sure about armored core, or Dynasty warriors 6 or 7000 i forget. or other japanese games to be certain. I also know Final Fantasy 13 will be finished on the ps3 first, even thought that's the white engine and not a ps3 . and id's Rage will benefit on the ps3 because of bigger disc space. and Unreal 3 was developed on ps3 first. Not sure about Mirror's Edge either.

not arguing to be sure, just helping out with games that hit the ps3 first or was developed on the ps3 as a primary system. take from that what you will.

One thing i do notice though, is that when a Japanese studio develops a multiplat title, the differences between the two consoles tend to be slighter, and not as significant as when a Western studio develops multiplatform titles. i mean honestly.. fallout 3 was a horrible port then compare that to DMC4 which is a rather decent port. Orange box also, a horrible port. I don't know.. but I do know that if you do take the time to make a multiplat title. then take the time to make it right. developers need to bring it over properly so that it doesn't look like a sloppy second. I can only excuse the programming difficulty for so long, especially if there are other studios bringing more decent ports to the console, and if you keep saying it's difficult, while understandable, doesn't absolve them of fucking up a good game. if it means holding the game back, then do it. continue the polishing on the finished game, and work on getting the other console to that proper level. japanese people are doing it, might as well do it with the western studios as well. may hold the games you're looking forward to back but at least you'll know you will be getting quality.

and though I'm still a little miffed that tekken 6 and final fantasy 13 went multiplatform, i understand the reasoning behind it. but I can't find myself agreeing with it. it devalued my purchase choice. and the thought of me losing the bang for my buck, irks me. but that's something else. neither here nor there.

and I'm still waiting on a tales game for the ps3.

is Tekken's fighting system the same or simliar to SC series?

i think my first tekken game was tekken 3 lol ... so old =[

Back