Thank you SCV community :)

doomshaman

[08] Mercenary
Hello, everyone, after today I felt I had to say something about the kindness which was offered to me.
Fighting games have always been my favourite genre. For years I have picked up any half decent title that was offered to me. The one problem I had is though they were my favourite, I was never any good at them.
I never knew what my problem was, maybe I just couldn`t memorize the key combinations. Maybe I couldn`t think fast enough on my feet. I always had a knack for games, but the fighting genre stumped me. I would panic upon the tides of a battle turning against me and muck my moves, accelerating my defeat. For years I sat at a 7% to 5% win ratio. You heard me. But after all these years I didn`t give up. 3 weeks back a good friend of mine told me to get soulcalibur five, i researched it up a little bit and i did not like what I saw. "Man, the characters are so separate in everything. Even their weapons, it cant possibly be balanced" "Just try it." he said. So the next day I picked up a used SCV copy from EB games and the same old was experienced. I played 28 matches and I lost 28 matches. I slammed my controller and quit the game.
3 weeks later, -tonight to be exact- bored I picked it up again. I had played my first 7 matches and lost them all. I joined my eighth match. I was losing hard, but then an A2 player said follow me. He beat me relentlessly, but with a purpose. I main a nightmare, and he clearly was a hardcore player. He tossed me around on 13 different characters, but I soon realised why. My de facto mentor never said anything. He let me figure it out. He cycled through the different characters. He used ivy to teach me quick side stepping and rushdown tactics. He used Astaroth to teach grab breaks, Maxi for block and countering,
Natsu to teach me that SCV is still just a tad bit unbalanced :P, Xiba for whiff punishing and spacing, Viola for a tight mix of everything (she is a very good character imo, long range pressure, short range rushdown, spacing etc.) Mitsurugi for poking, nightmare to show me how unfun mirrior matches are XD and finally yoshimitsu to show me that I`m still not enlightened enough to understand his fighting style.
After 4 hours of rear whooping, I can now begin to consider myself good at fighting games, though more training is still recommended. This man has helped me more than I`ve helped myself in years.

Shout out to EIPIp, your awesome dude :)

side note unrelated to main thread: any tips for fighting yoshimitsu? lol

I'm glad that you had an epiphany and someone was able to help you out. Keep enjoying the game and the community and hopefully you keep improving. As for Yoshi, be sure to look out for his low sweeps. He can combo into a lot of them. If you block any of them, they are unsafe so you can punish them. Yoshi has a lot of weird moves, so get used to figuring out when he's still attacking and when you can interrupt him. Also see if you can space him out since you play nightmare. Up close a good yoshi will definitely have an advantage. Good luck getting better dude.

If Natsu's the one that made you think the game's unbalanced you can't block low :P

If you're on Xbax add me and we can run some sets.

I suggest playing around with edge master in training or arcade on easy. By doing so you are can build a better understanding of each character. I say edge instead of a specific character because his random styles act like flash cards :D

If you need any help with navigating the forums just ask. I am sure people here would love to help you out!

But if you see fire it's too late if you've already committed to blocking low... She wouldn't be so scary without that blockable/unblockable mixup.

Um, the motions are completely different, there's different voice ques, the fire is a different color, blockable is even slower than unblockable, there's alot to differentiate the two.

Of course you could be being sarcastic. >.>

I can block mixups with fairly high accuracy, its just natsus up and down teleporting and teleporting in general confuses me. I find for her though to just throw attacks out if i see her teleport. I get a hit then stun 90% of the time. As of now I am actually winning the big majority of my matches (on ps3 :P)

But yeah. another thing that bugs me is that even though i beat maxi 6:4 or 7:3 if he gets up in close range his mixups are insane. He can combolock you for 60% of your life bar, OR i block right and merely shave off 30% of his with the hardest hitting character (nightmare) in game.

Sorry for double post: found nightmares WC B (or WC 6B) the mid sword attack (with the animation) helps deal alot of damage and space maxi back to an acceptable distance

If Natsu's the one that made you think the game's unbalanced you can't block low :P

If you're on Xbax add me and we can run some sets.

For me it would just be that she can do as much damage as you with half the effort. Lol :P

Back