Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyeboy277

[08] Mercenary
I know that the game has not been out for very much time, so it is impossible for a comprehensive tier list to already have been made, but I was just wondering if any tentative tier lists were in existence. In Soul Calibur 4, I played a ton of Maxi, and I came to realize that he is considered one of the worst characters. I still enjoy playing Maxi, but I would prefer maining a character who is at least mid-tier, so I can have a fighting chance in tournies, etc.

Super early thoughts-
A/possibly S-
Devil Jin
Natsu

A
Algol(Maybe)
Cervy
aPat
Phyrra
oPhyrra

Maybe A/high B
Lexia
Patro
Xiba

Everyone else.
ZWEI and Viola i'm not even going to try to place yet because i feel like more time is required to figure them out.

People who might have serious issues with either damage or movesets-
Hilde
Siege
From what little i've seen maybe ivy.
And i've heard Aeon is just a mess but my own experiments with him don't point to him being unusable.

The only real issue I see right now is there's a BIG gap between A and B. The ability to play safe, get great damage, and spend little meter to do so(while having legit options with that meter) seems heavily different between A and B.

I'm liking Natsu, Astaroth, Cervantes, Pyrrha, Alpha Patroklos and Pyrrah Omega as some of the 'better' characters in this game.

I'd say Natsu and Astaroth are definitely top tier right now, and Aeon being pretty low. I see Xiba being mid.

It's funny, I actually think that Astaroth is watered down from his former self. The loss of his ground throws (except 1B+G and 1A+G), was a huge hit to his gameplay. His 6K knee looks as though the recovery time is much slower.

I think chars like Omega Pyhhra, alpha Pat, and Natsu are probably top tier.

I'm curious why everyone thinks Natsu and Astaroth are top tier (though I agree with aPat, Pyrrha, and oPyrrha).

Someone care to explain those two? Anything in particular?

High damage output.

Make too many mistakes and the game can be turned around very quickly.
Thats kinda wrong. That might be why asta is high tier(and possibly gong to fall as people get better, which is standard for grapplers), but natsu has high damage output, and can open you up like it's nothing. You don't have to make mistakes for natsu to take half your health, and she's got so many options that lead to that sort of damage.

My week 1 list:

S Tier
Natsu

A Tier
Alpha
Sword & Shield
Everyone Else

Algol, Devil Jin, and ZWEI I don't have enough experience to opine on. I think Viola is mid. Aeon sucks.

In my opinion I can see Algol, Nightmare, Hilde, OMGPyr as top tier. Natsu no where near top.
I can see all of those except Nightmare as possible top tiers. I think safety is really important in this game and Nightmare just isn't safe enough to be top.

Viola may be untapped, but linearity limits her from breaking mid-tier. I could be wrong though... she has many ways to get frame advantage, and stepping can allow to get closer, where she CAN safely kill step.

Asta is good? News to me. Mid tier imo

Raph is utter garbage, Siegfried seems weak, Dampierre is meh

Patroklos seems really exploitable for his lack of speed and range, but KDZ styling on people and somehow keeping control of the match seems to contradict what I originally thought. Waiting around, poking with risk free 66B (-2 on block) and an amazing 1K seems to remedy range issues pretty well

Xiba is really good, but knowledge of his stuff makes him much weaker. I swear RM K is reactable as well, hurting his mixup from that stance

Mitsu seems amazing, he has incredible range now with 6B, and along with 6B8 and 4A he can keep people out easily. Tons of other stuff is ridiculously safe, and with good spacing you can continue pressure. But MST seems like trash, as his mids are weak or reactable, and MST A+B absorb barely ever works properly. No transitions work on block and most them aren't even that great on on hit. Seems you gotta do crazy stuff like MST jumping to get around 2As and MST ducking to get around AAs if MST B isn't fast enough to beat it. If MST B won't beat a BB, that's a guaranteed hit since A+B only absorbs one attack.

Viola may be untapped, but linearity limits her from breaking mid-tier. I could be wrong though... she has many ways to get frame advantage, and stepping can allow to get closer, where she CAN safely kill step.

Pretty much agreed. I can't see her as low tier, but I don't think she'll end up high. Though, the more I learn about her, the more potential I see. So there's a chance. Still I think she'll end up high-mid at most.

Top:
Pyrrha Omega
Pyrrha
Leixia
MAYBE: SIEG MISTU NATSU (Natsu might get a damage nerf if not, then she is top.)

Mid:
Ivy? Maybe? Relys on 6b (cancel) 7
Asta
Viola
Ezio

Low:
Aeon
Dampierre
Patroklos.

IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.