Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about tournament... I thought this was a tier list discussion...

You should stop thinking about tournament when you make a tier list. Tournament only makes us see who was the best player there, not the best character.

Who cares about tournament... I thought this was a tier list discussion...

You should stop thinking about tournament when you make a tier list. Tournament only makes us see who was the best player there, not the best character.
Its a combination of the two, tournament results shouldn't dictate a tier list, but they provide valuable insight on what characters to focus on and pick apart. Tier lists aren't concrete, new tech pops up every day and the tier list shifts. Some characters have ridiculous potential that would never be explored if it weren't for tournaments.

Plus, tournaments are the best place to see what new tech people have come up with.

The same 14 year old also entered mortal kombat tournament and became top 8. the tournament register let him compete in a game he's not supposed to be playing according to the game's rating. sure he plays like a pro, but it's weird a big tournament like this doesn't care about the "official rules" written right on the back of the game case.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/winter-brawl-vi-top-8-finalists.14199/

sawnikfaux can't even buy mortal kombat in a store if he wants too, and yet he can compete in it. that's just weird.

The same 14 year old also entered mortal kombat tournament competing in a game he's not supposed to be playing according to the game's rating, and yet tournament register let him enter. sure he plays like a pro, but it's weird a big tournament like this doesn't care about the "official rules" written right on the back of the game case.

ESRB ratings are not legally enforced. Unless the ESRB is a sponsor for the tournament, there is no reason for them to reject him from entering if they don't have any rules on his age themselves.

That's because retail stores follow the ESRB. Although a parent can just buy it for the kid and the store can't say no, even if the kid is right there and the parent says they're buying it for their 8 year old son. CA was trying to get a law passed that would legally ban stores from selling M rated titles to underage kids but it got struck down for being unconstitutional.

SonicFox is mainly an MK player, he is on MKU. ESRB is a GUIDELINE not a law. The only legal action enforced is that anyone under 17 cannot buy the game without an adult with them or buying it for them.

Didn't he play another character leading up to the finals? I could've sworn the caster said he used Seig as a matchup snipe rather than as his main. I haven't had time to watch the whole tourney yet, so I don't know for sure.

Regardless, I agree on the "wait and see" approach, but in the case of fairness, I don't think Seig was any top finisher's main.
He used Mitsu and won every match, then he picked Sieg and lost.. So whoever said "he placed high with Sieg" is full of crap

The same 14 year old also entered mortal kombat tournament and became top 8. the tournament register let him compete in a game he's not supposed to be playing according to the game's rating. sure he plays like a pro, but it's weird a big tournament like this doesn't care about the "official rules" written right on the back of the game case.

sawnikfaux can't even buy mortal kombat in a store if he wants too, and yet he can compete in it. that's just weird.

is this a real post? The "official rules" ?? The rating is a /guide/ for the end user and a rule for the distributor.

if namco listens to anything on facebook... heaven help us all.

I play Algol and Nightmare.
Your win % doesn't matter. I've gone on 25 win streaks like it was nothing because I was matched up w/ people who were not very good.

As for the rest, sure they should fix BUGS, but asking for more stronger attacks is not a bug lol. There is little point to talk w/ you... As Euripides said:
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.​

Lol yeah,"as Euripides said" posted on a fucking niche video game site.... right after signing a post with "Fucking scrubs"

What a really suave choice, you're so smart, dude.

Right now, Viola is looking like the mid tier character I thought her to be. Although, I'm still hoping some more tech is discovered because I feel like she is still weak if you know the matchup.

Right now, Viola is looking like the mid tier character I thought her to be. Although, I'm still hoping some more tech is discovered because I feel like she is still weak if you know the matchup.
More like she's hella ass if you know the matchup. Ramon vs. SawnikFaux was so one-sided it wasn't even funny. Ramon punished everything correctly and there was nothing Sawnik could do about it because Viola has to use her unsafe shit if she hopes to stand a chance of winning. NYC Fab tried to play safe, and he had to play his ass off in order to win the two or three matches that he got. I'm probably going to go back to her anyway, because my connection to that character is way too strong to main others, but that doesn't change how hard Violas are going to have to work in the future. A lot of people pressed hella buttons at this tournament, and hardly anyone studied that matchup. Gimmicks get you far when no one knows the matchup.

i really think sieg needs a buff, in something or other.
while his range and punish strings are really good, they all rely on 50 50 mix up mind games, and if they fail, he is easy to punish. also many of his close range moves seem to have hitbox issues, because of this seig is easly pressured by rushers, to the point were he almost never has a chance to retaliate unless perfectly timed, it really makes it hard to play him against faster characters like natsu(PS her damage for some moves really is bullshit) or pyyra.

i dont think a damage buff is in order though, seig would be way to devistating with it, i think he needs something more along the lines of hitstun or speed buffs for his super close range skills, atleast something that could make defeating him more than rushing in his face 24/7

i really think sieg needs a buff, in something or other.
while his range and punish strings are really good, they all rely on 50 50 mix up mind games, and if they fail, he is easy to punish. also many of his close range moves seem to have hitbox issues, because of this seig is easly pressured by rushers, to the point were he almost never has a chance to retaliate unless perfectly timed, it really makes it hard to play him against faster characters like natsu(PS her damage for some moves really is bullshit) or pyyra.

i dont think a damage buff is in order though, seig would be way to devistating with it, i think he needs something more along the lines of hitstun or speed buffs for his super close range skills, atleast something that could make defeating him more than rushing in his face 24/7

Sieg does NOT need a damage buff. The only thing he needs is a hit detection fix (as with about everyone else in the cast).

Has anyone stopped to think about how much damage to the pseudo-invisible guard gauge(soul gauge before i think) will play into tiering when this game matures? Since there is no free GI anymore, it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

Has anyone stopped to think?

You could've stopped there. ;)

There is still a lot of time left before anything intelligent can be formed with some of these characters. It would be interesting to get an early list by general confidence, but that's still jaded since there's so much that isn't really being explored yet.

^that's a good point, because Sieg actually has good guard damage. I manage to get guard burst quite a lot if I keep the pressure going.

Although trying to apply pressure, and trying be safe at the same time is not always easy with Sieg.

I'm not looking for a tier list, did I even say that? But I am seeing that no one seems to be considering this... and through maturity, whether or not stepG will be removed, people no matter what will be "blocking" a LOT more if there is no other option. I don't see many characters, who are built around meter use in combos, using their meters for GI... which means their block meter will take this damage.

You could've stopped there. ;)

There is still a lot of time left before anything intelligent can be formed with some of these characters. It would be interesting to get an early list by general confidence, but that's still jaded since there's so much that isn't really being explored yet.
I really hate this mentality, how do you think games evolve? How do you think discussion is generated, new tech invented, what characters are popular, and by effect, how the meta evolves to counter them? Its all about tier lists and people giving input early on.

If we all sit on our ass and don't say anything, that significantly impairs the development of the game. In two years, the tier list still won't be set in stone and concrete. Time is not the end all be all of tier lists, any input backed by logical reasoning is useful, even if it isn't backed by anything its still useful, it gives people something to think about and pick about and actually think for themselves and give real reasons as to why or why not certain characters should be placed on a tier list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back