Time Warner cable reliable for SCIV?

TetsuyaHikari

[09] Warrior
I've been using DSL for long enough. I figured it was time for an upgrade, so..I checked the services provided for my area and it seems the only company that can come out here is Time Warner. Well, I went ahead and got the Turbo deal and they are going to be out here the 14th for installation, and whatnot.

Now, my question for you guys is this. Does anybody here use Time Warner cable as well or know if they are reliable for gaming? Right now I'm on AT&T DSL which gives me a little over 3,000 kbps for download speed and a little over 300 kbps for upload. I mean, I know Cable should be faster overall, but I've heard of some connections not working well with gaming, but are fit for more of your everyday wants (like surfing the web, chatting, checking e-mail, etc.).

Anyway, if anybody here has used or is using Time Warner cable for SCIV, could you tell me how it has/hasn't worked for you? I'm just a little skeptical about the switch, despite it being from DSL to Cable.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Time Warner is very fast when using the internet but i don't know about gaming.

I play on live almost everyday and I have time warner cable and I haven't had a single problem with online speed. I also play live via a wireless adapter attached to my xbox and still not much lag.

Wow, even on wireless? Hmmm..I hope it has that same effect for PSN. I'm running through a Linksys router right now. All I know is when I got the turbo deal, they said I would be getting from 10 to 15 megabits instead of my current 3 with DSL.

I'm hoping this will clear up a lot of the Network Errors and long loading screens. It usually takes a good 10 seconds to finally get to the character select screen and sometimes it will time out and tell me the connection was lost with the host.

Thanks for the info you guys have posted so far. I hope I can hear from somebody on the PS3 side now to see how it has been doing for him or her.

I use time warner in NC with no problems at all in speed, the only real time I have issues with speed is if I am web browsing on one PC, playing mmorpg on my other, and playing SC online. Usually any connection issues I have is due to NAT bs.

Well, if it takesthat much to even start giving you problems, then I should be just fine, lol. I'm not a good multitasker, so if I'm playing SCIV online, well..that's all I'm doing at the time.

It sounds pretty reliable so far. I mean, hell..it has to be better than DSL, surely.

Thanks for the info everyone. I now look forward to the switch on the 14th :)

Honestly, Time Warner's Roadrunner service is one of the fastest and most reliable high speed services to get, besides T1, etc.

I've been using it for years and have no complaints about it whatsoever. I connect straight to the modem, so any game lag never comes from my connection.

DSL is not good for internet gaming from my own experience. It'll have it's good days, but in general cable is the way to go.

Yep. This connection has been working great. The only issue I've been having recently due to the change is my router keeps dying every few hours.

I'm guessing Linksys just doesn't work well with the Arris modem, so I'll have to try and get a new router at some point, but other than that, I have no complaints about this new connection at all. I'm glad I made the switch.

Yep. This connection has been working great. The only issue I've been having recently due to the change is my router keeps dying every few hours.

I'm guessing Linksys just doesn't work well with the Arris modem, so I'll have to try and get a new router at some point, but other than that, I have no complaints about this new connection at all. I'm glad I made the switch.

See if you can use custom firmware on your version of your router.

I use DD-WRT and it works great. Some people use Tomato, but thats much more limited.

This should solve your dying problems.

was gonna reply to this thread then realized who big of a gimp I was to learn I need to start reading through threads more >.< you know just incase some1 may have had their question answered or not... >.<....

Back