Tira General Discussion / Q&A

Confused, are you asking what her best mid is or what's her best horizontal? because you've only listed horizontals as 'mids' you currently use. Not to mention AA is a high not a mid.

In any case 66AA is pretty damn good on both counts. The risk is worth it.

I was experimenting with wakeup from head first situations and found some more interesting tech traps that work only in this situation.

33B (escapable by right tech) I believe Violent_Vodka mentioned this one in a post already.
4B+KB (escapable by left tech)
slight delay JUMP K
delayed BB (lolwut)
44A

and the star of this post:

perfectly timed 4B :B :B

Even more reason to fear teching against our bipolar princess. The last two are the best to commit to since they're good and great damage respectively and catch all techs. All of these except for 33B and 44A can be done off of GS 2A+B on NH. For those two you need more time to buffer from moves like air hit 4K.

Quick question; How do you do that hula-hoop move (where she, well, hulas her ring blade)? My partner thinks it's "pretty cool" but I'm dumb and can't see it in the movelists.

8wr seems very quiet atm, especially this Tira subforum, so I figured I'd talk a little about the WorldGameCup.

As you all know, Decopon's Tira took another of the world's biggest tournaments, which is good news for us as we get to see a little more of what she's capable of. This should at least settle the occasional snarky notions that he was "getting away with bad matchup knowledge" or was "lucky" somehow.

You can see a lot of his matches HERE.

I had watched his videos from last year but it was a very different experience seeing him play in person. It is hard to appreciate how good his pressure game and zoning is from watching the vids. Like the other Japanese players, he seems to be playing the game 30% faster than everyone else. His reactions are lightning sharp: for example, if he would JG a single A, he would react instantly, duck the second A and punish with GS 4BBB every time.

Belial joked that SD is the Daigo of Soulcalibur but in some ways it is true. The things he can do come from what I assume to be an extremely professional attitude towards training, and an intense, driven desire to be the best. I was told he uses special eyedrops so that he doesn't blink when he plays!!

The main things I noticed which separate him from other Tiras:

First, zoning. He uses GS 2A and 6A a lot (naturally this is different for some matchups like Astaroth). He is constantly monitoring his opponent to see how pressured they are feeling, and mixes the zoning with well-placed backstep to get those oh-so-rewarding whiff punishes.

Second, GS strategy. He is constantly using every opportunity to remain in GS for the crucial moments. What this especially means is heading back to JS after taking substantial health hits, so that the 40% auto-switch will give Tira GS back in the crucial endgame.

I spoke to him a little about Tira: we agree that she is a strong character but not toptier. I asked about how to deal with backstep but unfortunately he could only suggest step forward -> guard, which is what I'm already doing. Still, by using some of his zoning techniques I feel more confident against some of the better spacing characters.

I played him a little in casuals: Tira v Tira was quite close but he clutched me out in each of the fights where he had little health left and so ultimately won 5-0. Against Leixia I did better and had a 2-win streak before he decided to stop.

But in the tournament it was different. I couldn't really even get close to him (with Leixia); he beat me extremely comfortably even though the fight was on what I think is Leixia's best stage (probably Tira's best too though lol). Playing him in this 'serious' environment opened my eyes to what playing this game at their level means. I was quite confident before the match, but made a few mistakes, while he was kind of "electric", focused, merciless and lethal. He professionally dispatched each opponent in the tournament.

I hope some of this comes across in the videos. If you're watching them, focus on how each of the Japanese players moves. They were too strong for all of us really, but their movement and whiff punishment set them all apart imo. As for Decopon's matches, watch also the distance he maintains versus different characters.

Heya guys.

I was in a match quite sometime ago and I was in GS: I did 3B 4A CE and I got the full version, they were using Hilde.

I went into training and found that full version would work quite often, I tried it with other characters and it didn't work so I didn't bother doing it anymore so I have up trying to work out who it would work on.

But watching those Shining Decopon videos where does GS: 3B 4A CE against Astaroth and getting the full version sparked my interest again. Does GS: 3B 4A CE full animation work on a select few characters?

Heya guys.

I was in a match quite sometime ago and I was in GS: I did 3B 4A CE and I got the full version, they were using Hilde.

I went into training and found that full version would work quite often, I tried it with other characters and it didn't work so I didn't bother doing it anymore so I have up trying to work out who it would work on.

But watching those Shining Decopon videos where does GS: 3B 4A CE against Astaroth and getting the full version sparked my interest again. Does GS: 3B 4A CE full animation work on a select few characters?
I posted that combo in the combo thread a month or two ago. GS 3B 4A CE is 100% guaranteed on everyone. Just insanely hard to do on some characters like Viola and Leixia.

It isn't 100% guaranteed on everyone, and it isn't that hard to time.

It works on fatties pretty consistently.

In order to get it to work on smaller hitboxes like Viola, you need to hit a tip range GS 3B.

Regardless, I'm not sure its worth the meter unless you need it to win the round. It only does 105 damage, where the regular combo is 95 + tech traps for 122 and for 50% less meter.

Heya guys.

This works on everyone at tip range, also one of my favorite things to do is to GS 3B 4A AA CE. Technically they can air control out of this but most people don't expect it, I've only ever seen one other Tira do it. It's just makes me feel like a badass when I finish her staple combo with a Critical Edge instead of 666B. Damage wise I don't think it's too much better, but it is great for RO's. :D

Back