Tira Matchup Discussion

It's not really specific to a character, but I found that her 7_8_9B+K is fairly useful at escaping mix-up situations. I've used it with pretty good success against Xiba's B+K mix-ups, Yoshi's B+K mix-ups and 2B+K teleport mix-ups (I've actually been able to hit him out of the air of his 2B+K B with Tira's 9B+KB) and against Sieg's stance roulette mixups. In my experience, they usually whiff their mix-up attack and you're left with a BT situation. I haven't tried it against every character, but I think it can be safe to say that it could work pretty well, especially if you expect your opponent will attempt a mix-up.

It's preliminary and done by a lousy player just stating things apparently everyone but me already knows, but for the Viola matchup I'm thinking...

-Moreso than other characters, remaining on the offense is absolutely vital. Viola won't leave many openings at all, even Gloomy Tira will have a hard time leaving the defensive with her fast moves after blocking.

-Save your meter for finishing off a combo and GIs. Openings will be hard to come by and this is where GIs come in. Even if she counter GIs, you've at least got a chance to get back on the offensive. None of Tira's aGI moves will be very useful, unless you're in Gloomy and can react to her 66B or a similar slow move you can punish with GS B+K.

-Whiff punishment and step are key to maintaing the offensive.

My ultra-sophisticated (still incomplete)analysis can be summed up as: why the fuck can't I block this loli bitch and gain an advantage? Without mercy and without remorse, how awful is this sounding?

None of Tira's aGI moves will be very useful, unless you're in Gloomy and can react to her 66B or a similar slow move you can punish with GS B+K.
After the patch, GS B+K no longer impacts Viola's 66B and it's significantly faster now.
I'm sure the rest will be helpful, though.

I play against Viola more often than other characters. As Wandrian mentioned, I also get that feeling that she can do as she pleases without fear of taking too much damage, because most of her moves are pretty safe, at least against Tira. What's worse, you CAN'T give her too much of an opening, because she easily can (and definitely will) take half a bar, and then some, with a meter bar.

It's not a good matchup for Tira imo, but I did find out some things that work, and managed to take some victories against her.

First off, is range. Viola's heavy damaging stuff (at least the combos used against me) always begin up close. So with a guy like Nightmare, you can get in, step back, Viola wiggles her hands in the air, and you whack her in the face. Tira does not have a lot of ranged stuff. But I can poke relatively safe with 6B. Not abusable though, it mostly works to interrupt her pace. JS 66B and GS 66K feel a bit slow for me, I can't use them consistently. 66AA works wonders, as it goes under quite a bit of Viola's attacks. Even some of those pesky balls that she calls from afar. And at the end of round, I sometimes try 236K BE.

Second is spacing, but that applies to most fights, as you always have to figure which range works better for your character and your opponent's. I always try not to be too close to her. She can whiff often when you get the hang of it, enough to get GS 3B in.

And last but not least, is poking. I'm not the best player around, but when playin against Viola, my Tira doesn't make a pretty fight. If I end up too close to her, I AA and BB her face. Or mix BB and 2K. Or just 2K a lot. JS22_88B works for me too, it interrupts some stuff she throws. I annoy the hell out of her. Even if Viola wins, at least she won't be that happy!

I hope this is useful =)

Been playing Tira lately. What do you all think of Tira/Ivy or Tira/Leixia? I don't know the matchups too well yet, but I'd say she seems to go even with Leixia, and slightly disadvantaged against Ivy.

...and against Sieg's stance roulette mixups....

just be careful that one of Sieg's stance can hit behind as well. The one from 3(B), can't remember the name.

also does everyone know that if you time it right, 6B can interrupt NM's A+B explosion between the aGI phase and damage phase. requires good reaction and timing and i'd only done it once....

Yes i agree with you, it is even against Leixia, and a slight disadvantage against Ivy.

Been playing Tira lately. What do you all think of Tira/Ivy or Tira/Leixia? I don't know the matchups too well yet, but I'd say she seems to go even with Leixia, and slightly disadvantaged against Ivy.
Haha, I guess you're not the only Leixia player who finds Tira rather interesting. :)
Haha you tier whores!! Follow me unto Tira! Bring the whole Leixia board with you!

Being serious, I think that in many ways Tira is a natural character to play for people who played X before.
Yes i agree with you, it is even against Leixia, and a slight disadvantage against Ivy.
Everyone seems to say this. I look forward to reading why...

Maybe i jumped ahead in saying that. I havnt played much against Leixia or Ivy post 1.03 patch. The scene isnt strong here lol.
Long story short, JS can not deal with short range characters with stupendous mix up game and fluid movement. I'm not saying JS is bad, its just hard to play defensively against Leixia. GS however can deal with it. And i feel as though Ivy has an answer for everything you throw at her. I feel as though i'm wrong about this which means that i need to play this game more lol. Ill come back to this.

just be careful that one of Sieg's stance can hit behind as well. The one from 3(B), can't remember the name.

yeah, that's right, good point...his SCH B attack. It can also hit you out of the air if you're not careful, since it has a large attack arch. So, I should say that UD is useful against most of Sieg's stance roulette mix-ups.

... And i feel as though Ivy has an answer for everything you throw at her. I feel as though i'm wrong about this which means that i need to play this game more lol. Ill come back to this.
it good to know i'm not the only one who feels this way about ivy. she seems to be a very decent Jack of All Trades. i guess this is why Tira is at a slight disadvantage against her. Tira has similar moves that does similar things, but just not as good.
If I remember correctly from me earlier days of playing her, most of her damage comes from BEs and JFs. Ivy's 6(A) however, is a very good step killer, esp at mid range.

Okay well, recently I've been practicing Tira and all is going well so far thanks for the information on offer at the Tira SA. But I noticed that there was nothing on Raphael in the match-up thread and seeing as I had learnt to counter some of Raphael's moves (For some reason all of my friends use Raphael) I thought I may be able to shine some light onto the Tira vs Raphael matchup.

Raphaels move where he leans really far back before doing an attack (I believe the input is 2 during preparation, not entirely sure of the name, but I'm hoping you get the idea) is very, very unsafe. I've only tested the 3 2 B combonation yet, but I have found that many different moves of Tira's can counter it. The first of all be her CE and her JS:66B(BE) mix-ups, and GS:66_666B_666B(BE) and I've tested these with the Ukemi and Aerial Control settings on random just to make sure they are legit. And also Raphael tends to do this move alot, so it may be a good HAHAHA SCREW YOU.. I mean, Gotcha! tactic against Raphael?

I will test more of his mix-ups from During preparation 2 and other moves tomorrow when I've had my beauty sleep and report here with my findings!

Tira's aGIs make his 6B/Prep BE moot if he doesn't hit confirm it(and of course most people won't/can't online). A+B and GS B+K tear him up if you block all but the final strike and input the aGI command immediately after blocking the next to last strike. JS B+K also eats the initial hits before the BE.

In general, Raph just *LOVES* Tira's aGIs even compared to other characters
awesomen.gif

Oh, and that move you're refering to that he does is Shadow Evade(Prep, 2). It's definitely my favorite thing to punish with her CE too <3

GS B+K tear him up if you block all but the final strike and input the aGI command immediately after blocking the next to last strike. JS B+K also eats the initial hits before the BE.
In general, Raph just *LOVES* Tira's aGIs even compared to other characters
awesomen.gif

I know what I'm testing on training tomorrow... that's gonna annoy my friends so much. :) Thanks, I've trying to get the B+K aGI's on Raphael's normal BBB combo's etc but it hasn't worked to say the least haha.

It's doable, but the aGI window on both JS B+K and GS B+K are fairly brief and early so you've got to time it just before you're struck. If you can get the timing on JS B+K down(I'm not certain of the frames for the aGI window but it seems *VERY* similar to GS B+K), they'll be more reluctant to ever use mids weak enough to trigger it...Doubly so since if you do JS B+K at the start of his BBB, the third hit will trigger the revenge attack(which is identical to GS B+K <3) And of course there's that optional A+B input after JS B+K is triggered, free headbutt to keep them on their toes even more >:)

22_88A is a very good move against Raphael. He's notoriously linear, so the sidestep will evade many of his better tools, it's safe on block, and afterwards you get a free 4K afterwards, meaning a possible switch to GS + tasty combo if you're in JS, and an almost guaranteed tasty combo if you're in GS.

Back