To All the Active offline scenes

franman

[13] Hero
During the start of SC, there were many participants back then that played SC competitively; however, after almost every big EVO event, the community starts to dwindle. Of course this is to be expected. Though there are scenes that are dead such as mine, there are still some that continue to lit the torch; their spirit is strong and continuously ongoing that such competitive blood can be respected for...

This sorta goes back when a unique player, Something_Unique requested for a list of active scenes questioned by many players the purpose of his list. And now I ask those offline scenes who are still active and strong to heed their advice to those dying souls out there on what it is that keeps your scene alive.

In all simplicity I ask the remaining active scenes to share their advice on what they do to keep your scene going? This isn't just for my dead scene, but to others who wants the torch to be passed on.

Anyone not willing to contribute? or share their 2 cents, 5 cents... 10 billion dollars?

Chicago? New Jersey? Philadelphia? New York? Atlanta? as well as any active scenes I forgot to mention?

How do you guys promote your scene?

I tried using this banner View attachment 36874 but it doesn't seem to work. I hate to even accuse my own scene, but I tried asking them to post this image in public areas including public domains such as Facebook, Twitter etc. but I don't think they are doing anything to help spread the word.

Well I can't speak for Chicago, NY or ATL, but as far as philly went, it's mostly because there was just a higher concentration of active players in that tri-state area. (I'm from South Jersey and Sporko was in a different part of PA for example) We pretty much started together from scratch and it grew from there.

Can't say we did a lot of promoting per se... but I guess it helped that known players from NY, Delaware, North Jersey, even Chicago, etc. dropped by, which in a way, "legitimized" us, and inspired us to keep playing. There were tons of local tourneys, and there was a lot of video content for a while for people to "see" us. We even started live streaming sessions at one point.

Unfortunately, the weekly "philly" gatherings don't happen anymore, as the host had to move out. Life happens.

So I guess if your area has a solid 4 player core, and they can find a place that's convenient to meet up at, the key is to find reasons to keep playing. We had ranking battles and stuff like that. I mean, have fun with it.

Last edited:
Or you can find someone who will keep people motivated with baked goods like the Seattle/Tacoma players do.

Eastern Nebraska has an OK scene (5-7 active players and others that come every so often).

You need to hold lots of weeklies with food and booze outta your home. If you have a local facebook group for your greater FGC it's nice to let people know where and when. Once people start regularly attending start tournaments, travel plans, rival shit talking, etc. More people start to take notice the more your scene is doing. Friendships and passion are what keeps a community thriving and without 'em I really don't think a game like this has a shot for a long local scene outside of the biggest cities.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFW
Back