To appease the stars, the last priest rises to the challenge...

Slidikins

[08] Mercenary
So I've been here for awhile, but I figured I'd make a formal introduction...

I be Slidikins, an aspiring Viola player who doesn't really know why he plays fighting games so much, but does. I started with Street Fighter II almost 20 years ago and have played many many titles since. I've played Soul Calibur since it was Soul Edge on the Playstation, not really going into the depths of it until SC2.

After the FGC exploded in 2009 I've been urged to become a part of it with SF4, T6, MBAC/AA, and MvC3... but Soul Calibur still holds a special place for me. But as I said, I haven't found a purpose. I want to get better but I know I don't have the time to dedicate to tournaments. I want to help people but I don't have the experience to dispense definitive information...

But at least I can be part of the discussions now. So here's hoping I can find new friends and training partners who will push me to becoming a better Soul Calibur player simply out of love for the game.

I miss the old Soul Edge on the Playstation...

Viola seems to have amassed a pretty good following despite being the new kind on the block. I haven't seen many people using her online, however (though I also haven't played much online to begin with...)

I mained Seong Mi-na since Soul Edge (taking a small break from her to try Tira/Cassandra in SC3) but since she was strangely absent from SC5 I had to switch. Xiba just wasn't the same and felt a bit too easy to handle, so I decided to see how the new characters were.

Viola was just a breath of fresh gameplay and despite her shortcomings is really fun to play. You won't see too many Viola's online, any amount of lag can cost her the match in the form of a dropped combo.

You won't see too many Viola's online, any amount of lag can cost her the match in the form of a dropped combo.
So that's why I've beaten fellow Viola's better than me! They were prolly depending too much on combos. Dropped combos or not you can run into me in a Colosseo (New York, LA, or Chicago - whichever is fullest) or send me an invite sometime.

So that's why I've beaten fellow Viola's better than me! They were prolly depending too much on combos.
Truth, some people focus too heavily into the combos. I'm probably guilty of it too. When I do land a hit I just try to convert it into as much advantage (health/positioning) as possible and online I drop the ball on that.

I'll have to try and hop on the Colosseo and take my lumps, though. I'm usually in New York when I'm on.

Start playing competitively! That's where the fun is! (or so they say lol). The Soul Calibur community is very nice and family-like, and always welcomes newcomers. Just work on your anti alpha/leixia/omega/nightmare/viola.

Start playing competitively! That's where the fun is!
The problem is mostly time. Full time job takes a lot of time from training... and it takes even more time (and money) to commit to tournaments so I end up missing them. It seems fun though I would want to be in competing shape before putting money on the line.

Excuses excuses, I know :(

Hey, I'd love to play some casuals with you if you're on XBL. My gamertag is DestroFraud, add me if you'd like.

Back