Top Player, Richard "WingZero" Warren Passes Away at 27

• Admin
Yesterday, the Soulcalibur community, and the FGC lost one of their own. Larry "ShinBlanka" Dixon recently reported on Facebook that WingZero died of natural causes early yesterday morning; he was 27. WingZero has been a member of the Atlanta Fighting Game Community for many years; but he exploded onto the zeitgeist of the Soulcalibur community when he got second place at NEC in 2005.
Larry "ShinBlank" Dixon said:
The FGC is in mourning of a great player and even better person, as Richard Warren “WingZero” has passed away today due to natural causes. He was a part of the Elite Tekken and Soul Calibur crew in Atlanta (East Point Dojo/crib), and was for years known as the best Nina (Tekken 4, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, Tekken 6, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2) in America as well as one of the top Soul Calibur players in the world.

Richard was such a humble person, to be so good at his craft, and he was willing to help anyone that was willing to learn the games he mastered. He good nature and positive outlook on gaming was a breath of fresh air. His presence as a gamer, but more importantly as a person, will be missed in the Georgia FGC. A moment of silence for my dude Richard Warren AKA “WingZero”. God bless your family as our thoughts and prayers will be with you and those you love. We’ll see you in that East Point dojo in the sky!

RIP homie!
WingZero has since placed at many tournaments, including Final Round and multiple different Major League Gaming events. Its always sad when the FGC loses a life; even more tragic when they are so young. Feel free to leave your condolences and share your stories with those he left behind.

wingzero.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
R.I.P WingZero. My condolences go out to his family. This must be hard for them.

Sad to see someone go out so young.

I never personally met you WingZero, but I liked watching you play, rest in peace. My condolences go out to his family.

I'm just hearing about this, and I've got to say that it truly saddens me that we've lost someone who was genuinely an overall nice guy. My sincerest condolences to his family who I know are feeling their loss sharply right now.

For those of you all didn't have the pleasure of meeting him I'd like to just give an example of what kind of guy he was when I met him at Final Round back in 2012. During WF's of our pool we came up against each other and I was so nervous I was pale, sweating, breathing heavy, and shaking like a leaf. We sat down and he looked over at me and said in his soft voice, "you alright man? Here let me get you some water." He went and got me some water and asked me if I wanted to wait for a bit before we played. I told him I was fine and he proceeded to run through me like diarrhea in that first match. I kind of just nodded my head and told him let's just replay it and get it over with. He pressed replay but told me hang on a second and IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR MATCH he says, hey look this is punishable, you can step this move, try not to attack after this, etc. He did this with complete respect and showed that all he wanted was for people to get better at the game so they would stay inspired and come out to more events. He was a sweetheart of a guy and I will always remember his friendliness and class.

R.I.P. my brother

This is truly shocking news. I can't imagine the pain that Richard's family is going through. The FGC has lost a great talent and a good man.

RIP WingZero.

What did he die from...?? O_o?

Natural causes? I don't think 27 year old people just drop dead often..

Oh and RIP, it's sad seeing anyone die, especially at a young age T_T

27... That's just way too soon. My condolences go out to his friends, family, the Calibur community, and the FGC at large.

That's just... way to soon. I mean... wow. I've only recently watched his videos and fights and I did become a pretty big fan of his. Just to hear that he died just makes me feel very sad.

Rest In Peace. The community will miss you.

Last edited:
Wing Zero was one super awesome dude. When i first moved back to Atlanta from Texas , i put out a forum post looking for gamers in the area.
He was the first person to hit me up and Pretty much introduced me to the entire Atlanta FCG , No questions asked! Let us Never Forget him!

May you Rest In Peace Richard "Wing Zero" Warren. My condolences to your family. You were a good man. Enjoy your rest, you left us so soon.
You will be forever missed by the Fighting Game Community and especially here on 8wayrun, like how you will be missed by your family.

I admired Richard "Wing Zero" Warren so much for many years since I heard about him in Soul Calibur 3. He has such commitment to his super turtle and spacing play-style, and I'll always consider him one of the all time Soul Calibur greats.

This mild-mannered, humble gentleman represented Soul Calibur and his home ATL community so well, and I will surely miss him.

ATL BABY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2my2XCWJ234#t=507

I think this clip shows very well how loved this guy is (last couple seconds of one of the best matches, 8:25).

R.I.P my friend.

Last edited:
Didn't know him, but I will say a prayer for his family. May God bless and give comfort to his family during their time of loss.

wing.. noo man we had such good times late night sc4 fuck man we always had intense rooms going all night til krayzie would show up and we give up after 20 losses straight lol always in my heart bro.

Back