Unblockables

EastredDragon

[09] Warrior
Didn't see a thread about it, figured I'd make one. Let's talk unblockables. They aren't really my forte to do in battle, largely because of how wide a gap they leave in battle, so I vote more on staying away from the them.

The current unblockable I'm having trouble in particular with in Sieg's earth divide. In IV, this one was genuinely useless, it having too much warm up time and not nearly enough damage. With V, however, the game's faster pace, yet slower recovery time, has given me some options. I found one time to do it is immediately after your opponent is launched with basehold B. Any windows of opportunities with this one?

Any other unblockables I should look out for with other characters?
What are the best unblockables?

Given they can still tech out of earth divide to the sides, even when launched like that, it's still not worth much.

Now starting the move then canceling after 10 frames or so to force your opponent to side-step, then lashing out with a horizontal, that works just fine. Also cancel, step forward, throw works really well. Flapjack into ring out for extra points.

Tira's unblockable is fairly good. At least it'll hit skilled players on occasion if you catch people in the corner. It used to be steppable to Tira's right, but not to her left if on the 1P side. I can't speak if that's still the case in this game.

Omega Pyrrha's 11A[A] unblockable is probably the best in the game, given you can release early as a mix-up, or not even do the second attack and stab the offending player as he tries to step out of the way. Also 8A+B (IIRC, it could be B+K) has some use. The ground stun will catch people dodging the unblockable portion of the attack.

Ivy's 214A unblockable (whatever the command is in this game) was decent if you catch your opponent in a corner. The radius is huge. I'm uncertain if it's any good this game.

Natsu's ground bomb is quite good. The radius on the unblockable version is tiny however, and you can jump it.

Cervy's stuff is generally only useful in combos. You can occasionally catch your opponent sleeping and shoot him in the face though.

Natsu's bomb is used in traps at high advantage. There are plenty of set ups that I see people use that require you to either stay down or eat the unblockable -> air throw. Don't ask me how to do it, though.

Poe's unblockable 11A[A] is pretty nice with all the advantages Travaton listed. The other unblockable is 8B+K which is pretty nice - the hit from her sword stops people from just waiting it out while the quake catches them if they run. Worst case scenario, you end up over their head in BT which isn't bad at all. Her third unblockable.... I.... I just use that to head bang.

Yoshimitsu has some great unblockables, as usual, with SDGF B (fast and can track slow steppers), 44b series, 1[ B] or 4KB, MED A+B aGI revenge, 66A+K, SDGF A+K, MED A+K, 236B.... I probably forgot a couple.[/B]

I've been searching the forums and I have not found anything about cancelling the animations of unblockables.
For example Nightmare's 4A+B. I've seen people cancel the animation into other attacks, block, etc etc.
Is there any specific inputs or something of the sort to cancel unblockables?

I like Ezio's B+K unblockable if only for the fact that you can cancel it into a quick 3B if they choose to attack or crouch it, or a throw if they attempt to sidestep it.

It depends on the unblockable. Natsu's bomb is cancelled by tapping forward.

I forgot that one because it's weird.

Now that you mention it though, Yoshi can do 44B~G or 44B~B. Also 9A+B/9A+B4/9A+B2/9A+B~G. And I think there are some that are not cancelable at all, like Moonsault Slayer. But for the most part, tap G.

raphael UB is decent..
Considering the safe distance raphael like to fight at, its quite easy to bait a whiff due to distance and an UB will connect.
Its also tech crouch.

Its not like you'll be able to abuse that, but there are many matchups in wich it can be used after a major whiff expecially VS nightmare (moves with long blockstuns).

The current unblockable I'm having trouble in particular with in Sieg's earth divide. In IV, this one was genuinely useless, it having too much warm up time and not nearly enough damage. With V, however, the game's faster pace, yet slower recovery time, has given me some options. I found one time to do it is immediately after your opponent is launched with basehold B. Any windows of opportunities with this one?
SBH B is probably sieg's best combo starter. Seeing how hard it is to land that move, it would really be a waste to use
his 236 B unblockable here, because it does low damage and people can easily tech out of it.

Use 22 BB and take your guaranteed 90 damage good sir.

SBH B is probably sieg's best combo starter. Seeing how hard it is to land that move, it would really be a waste to use
his 236 B unblockable here, because it does low damage and people can easily tech out of it.

Use 22 BB and take your guaranteed 90 damage good sir.
44(B) > SBH K BE is 110 damage after SBH B. Sieg usually has more meter than he needs so I prefer to burn a BE for the extra damage.

44(B) > SBH K BE is 110 damage after SBH B. Sieg usually has more meter than he needs so I prefer to burn a BE for the extra damage.
Sure but i was talking about the absolute minimum for no meter. If you want to burn meter you can go even more fancy:

SBH B ~ 8 B+K ~ K BE ~ CE for around 142

All 3 of those are good options depending on how much meter you have. My point was, don't use his unblockable because you have so much more juicy stuff that you could do instead.

All 3 of those are good options depending on how much meter you have. My point was, don't use his unblockable because you have so much more juicy stuff that you could do instead.
Yeah. Sieg's 236B isn't even good as an unblockable feint, because anyone smart is just going to stand there without stepping to block the agA or 6A, and if he doesn't cancel the unblockable it's an easy JG that leaves Sieg open for over 50 frames.

Viola can force her unblockable on anyone she makes guard her CE.

Astaroth 4[A+B] can be a threat.

Yoshi's 66[A+K] is the best unblockable in the game, imo.

Watch out for Hilde's C4 A and C4 B

Well yeah, but its the only one that is hard to find an answer for so I thought I'd throw that out there. =/

Strictly speaking, my favourite unblockables are the ones that are unblockable for no reason but to look cool.
Like the attack throw on Mitsurugi's A+B (I think that's it) and Yoshimitsu's bA
But practically speaking I like Ivy's 214 A. 100 damage and a tech crouch that can help you land it if you time it just right.

Back