Vader Match Ups.

RiBu

Mitsu-Fucking-Rugi
Alright let's talk vs. character.

I'm going to get some practice this weekend with him so I'll have a better understanding of how good he is against some characters.

Really though I don't see any match-up that'd be really that bad for him. SK would be somewhat hard since his grabs would be thrown out the window, but he's got options outside of that.

ive been having a hard time vs apprentice, thats about the only character ive found so far, tho my experience vsing him isnt that fantastic so it could be that ... hehe

maybe i just need to abuse 1ba more...

Apprentice is very hard for Vader cause you cant throw him and Vaders lows wont open him up for you. Anyone with high damage step options is going to be a problem too I think.

Apprentice is very hard for Vader cause you cant throw him and Vaders lows wont open him up for you. Anyone with high damage step options is going to be a problem too I think.

Idk bout that, Vader's 22_88 A/A+K seems to work well with step same deal with 99_66_33A/A+K.

I'm on the fence about SK, if Vader can keep pressuring him with grabs he'll run out of force so that may be the best route. and play off the fact he can only do 4 breaks off of full meter.

i play a pretty mean maxi (please refrain from laughing) vader doesnt give me any problems. if i keep agressive with my BL/RO change ups, he's usually dead meat. but i chalk that up to vader only being available on the 360 for a short time. im sure the psn players may have a different story but....vader is one of the easier ones for me!! but i have a feeling time will change all that...as for now...im taking full advantage!!

Idk bout that, Vader's 22_88 A/A+K seems to work well with step same deal with 99_66_33A/A+K.

I'm on the fence about SK, if Vader can keep pressuring him with grabs he'll run out of force so that may be the best route. and play off the fact he can only do 4 breaks off of full meter.

While those moves will catch step, I dont think they are so convincing as to make it not worth while. Maybe if they were moves that were worth doing a lot normally, but they are too specialized. As for SK with grabs two problems, his grab break leaves him nearby at parity and he's faster than Vader first and second an Sk who knows the match up will likely conserve some force for a break or too. As it stands 4 breaks is a lot and he gets them back with time.

While on the topic, what are the good moves for anti-step...like what's fast for close range anti-step use?

FC A, Grab, maybe 3A. 2K seems to track some too. A+K is a decent choice since it TCs slightly and is 0 on block making it worth doing normally. 1B can be difficult to step at disadvantage.

/edit/ Trying to get A+K to TC is a chore; the window is small and the attack needs to be really high, it might as well not. I also found it wasnt nearly as fast as it was supposed to be (its i23). In it's place I'd say A which is only -1 or 4AA which does around 39 damage, both i18.

Vader vs Taki kinda hard.

I find that I usually use BB, 4B, his force throws, and regular throws.

Taki is just way to fast to pull off some damaging combos unless its 2A+B, 2[A+B], 4A+B, A+B, A+B, *grounded opponent* 4A+B, 6A+B.

I think i got that combo right, let me know if there is a mistake in the inputs.

Voldo TCs for everything, vader is weak to step and his step kill is high. I would imagine the match-up is terrible. Local voldo beats everyone playing everyone though so it's hard to guage from experience.

Same there's only one Voldo player in NC that I know of and I haven't gotten to play him against him with Vader before. . .and my only other experience is online. . .

Generally it seems like one of his hardest match-ups though. . .Might be easier if you try to out range him with 4B/3B+K, but you take the risk of being stepped and Voldo raping you. . . I've come to using the ghetto strat of eating a 3B and FP'ing if i see the second part coming, and looking for anything that throws Voldo into down position as a free 4A+B set-up.

Generally speaking though. . .I'm trying to think of what would be his 5 best match-ups, his 5 worst match-ups, and then filling in that grey area.

I'm kind of looking at:
Talim, Tira,Yoda,Rock,NM
Worst:
Kilik, Voldo, Amy, Taki, and SK

Vader is officially going to be my anti-kilik character. The fact that he shuts down asura so well with 1B makes Kilik one of the best matchups for him.

Another good matchup for him is Algol since 4A+B will stop any bubble spamming attempts.

As for his bad matchups, I'd have to say Taki is his worst, obviously because of her speed, and Apprentice, since Vader really needs his throws to win since he doesn't have good lows, and Apprentice shuts that down.

Right now Vader vs. Yoda doesn't seem to favor either side for me. It seems pretty even. Vader loses his throwing ability but he can just rely on hard hitting moves and damaging Yoda's soul gauge.

One thing Yoda has going for him in the matchup is that he can make Vader's 4B (and most likely 3B as well) whiff by doing A+K. Works for sure at range, dunno about close range.

vs Yoda. I usually just run away and bait with 1A+B. Since if he's running, 236[K]ing, or doing anything else that doesn't let him sidestep he's eating a ton of damage with just one move.

RiBu, have you tested this strategy offline? Because I would assume that offline the Yoda player would have enough time to react and jump to the side or even 2A+B over it.

After facing a really good Voldo player for a while, I've come to realize that Vader is really good against him. 1B and 6B will shut down his BS A+B auto-GI (like Asura), which I normally find a pain to deal with. And he can easily take Voldo out of his stances with 4A+B. Overall it just seems like the matchup is in favor of Vader in this one, and that's really something because I didn't think Voldo had any bad matchups (aside from Algol).

Xianghua is vaders weakness by far. Most of her moves out maneuver his moves. Plus her speed also.
After fighting a Xianghua player offline yesterday, I found that he's actually pretty good against her.

Some minor things that Vader can do to a Xianghua is interrupt her with 4A+B whenever she tries doing 44B at disadvantage, and even pick her up with 4A+B if she tries doing crybaby.

But the main thing about Vader vs. Xianghua is that one of her combos don't work on him. A very important one actually. Her charged SXS B (blocked) -> FC 3B is normally a guaranteed combo, but the 3B will completely whiff on Vader. If an X player doesn't know this and attempts to do FC 3B, you can get a free side throw attempt on them. :)

I think I might make Vader my anti-X now too. :D

So realizing that all of Hilde's charges have a strong visual cue, I was wondering how well Vader stacks up against her? Specifically how useful/consistent his Force GI's work against her charge moves, and if 1B can bypass the auto GI properties of let's say her C3 A.

Back