Viola General Discussion / Q&A

You guys need to be real careful on 8A+B it IS a good move but:

W/O 8A+B is ridiculously unsafe at -23. N/O 8A+B is -13 and forces crouch, but the orb is steppable in both directions. It tracks if they step first hit only though.

Anywho, my two cents:

Main way to separate orb for me has been 3B AAB, 3B 2A+B, 6B+K or A+G. 6B+K is fast, REALLY safe, and tracks one side. Good move.

If you manage to hit AAB, 2A+B is a force block GB. After it you can do a whole lot.

Viola's grab game is really dangerous, pretty high damage W/O. W/O B+G leaves them at tip range of 6A+B, so you can immediately do that then start messing with your orb for range game. W/O A+G leaves orb RIGHT OVER them, which is great for oki. N/O A+G leaves you at good advantage and guarantees 8A+B which reverse ROs to her back left. N/O B+G Once again leaves them at tip range for 6A+B and leaves you at advantage. Throws are the main way I get people to start ducking. Once they start ducking, you get free launchers and 22B BEs.

Her normals are actually pretty good W/O. So I do like keeping it around. Usually I wait till I either have some meter, or know I'm going to be playing close to let go of it.

After W/O 3B, you can force them to block 2A+B, which gives you some good mixup.

A couple tech traps that cover all directions:

22A+B -> Slight Delay 1A+B
N/O CH WS B -> 33(B) This one is real dangerous as it leads to all 33(B) combos.
4B -> Slight Delay 22A+B This one can lead to the 22A+B frame trap. Real silly.
N/O 22B BE -> 44A BE

And a wall combo that takes 3 BEs:

N/O 3B W! 4B 2B+K BE AAB 9K 2B+K BE AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 66B W! 66A+BB <-- Around 120. The last AAB 66B is a little wonky. You might want to just 66B instead of AAB 66B.

I think one of viola's fastest ways to gain meter is through 4b/66b 6A+BB

what other non brave edge combos grant her a large chunk of meter?

Noob here. Right now the only issue I have with Viola is that since she relies heavily off of her orb it seems that characters who can move in quickly and combo quickly have a major advantage over her. I don't know much about competitive SC so I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify for me?

So I have started getting a hang of her combos, and am able to pull them off fairly regularly, however, the problem I'm having is against opponents who just constantly attack. How do you get out of constantly guarding? Seems like no matter what I do (Side step, try to thread in an attack mostly) I just get hammered. Any suggestions?

Well. I personally have started just guarding to beat people like that. If they are to close i suggest BB until you have trained them to block that then start with a 3B launcher. Viola is not a god close up champ at all against heavy hitters.

Yeah I got to use her in both online and offline fights using everything I'd learned from practice mode, reading and reading the guide. The biggest trouble I had was closing some gaps. Now most would say the simple solution is to use her orb for long distance fighting, the problem is yesterday I played a Xiba offline, new to the game and just kept hitting buttons and SSing. THAT is where I started having trouble. He just happened to avoid most orb attacks by stepping but would attack JUST out of range or my normals. I had to do a ton of 66AAB and hope I didnt whiff. I had the orb with me a bunch too just to ensure I had longer reach. Tricks will get you far but if someone knows keepout (at least for me so far) the matchup can be difficult.
That being said I started doing what shinsokugai stated, lots of blocking and baiting/punishing. The other thing I think would be good to learn is just guard. and manage meter for GI's. I was so used to the old games and see stuff that just BEGS to be GI'd but the concept is different this time around. I can provide more info as I get more used to the system and my new character but yeah to beat out anyone playing keep out or out-attacking you I use patience.

Thanks for the info. I have been doing better and just being patient and punishing, but certain characters like Siegried, Xiba, and Nightmare give me a LOT of trouble. Their range combined with their attack spam makes it seemingly impossible to get in. Normals aren't long enough, and orb attacks are just too slow to get in. But at least the close to mid range characters is a little more fair now.

still no secret moves? this saddens me :(

also, anyone figure out a use for B+K BE? seems like you can do a fully charged 2A+B after (then partially charged 2A+B) but don' think there's a way to hit reliably

I like the idea of JGing, but on Xbox Live that is so hard to pull off that I don't even attempt it... Especially if there's lag -_-

But I too am having the same problem Halst. I feel like I'm constantly blocking a barrage of attacks from my opponent. Then I might be able to pull off the 3B launcher and the 7 hit combo ensuing, but after that, I just freeze up. A good 8way move I've found was used by the CPU Viola when I was training is 11/77K. She slides her knees into your opponent and can get you maybe another hit on a rising strike. But other than that, that's all I got.

More suggestions from anyone on how to stay on the offensive would be great info.

for step killers I use:

AA
8A+B
4A+B
44A(BE)
and 66AAB

44K is a good move that ish hits behind her XDD,

make the opponent respect her orb, even when its not in her hands. meaning utilize 2A+B 6ABB 4A+B etc.

Don't save meter, stick to brave edges for the most part like 88B 44A or A+B

AA is a very good fast move.

for longer range punishers I think 6K is her longest range tool, and then 66B both of which are clean hits and can lead to good damage, around 56 - 70 if you have enough for a brave edged 2B+K.

go off tempo sometimes. 66K is a good move to slow things down for a second. More often than not the opponent will try to punish with a vertical which can be SSed, or 4B+K if you are feeling flashy.

Not to mention 66K has a (BE) as well so trying to hit her asap when she has meter isn't a good thing.

N/O or W/O 4A wor
Ok as it was stated before, Viola really depends on meter. But both her 44A BE and her 22_88B BE are really usefull. Especially 22_88B to punish verticals. Here's the combo i use:

22_88B BE ( When BE start wait just a bit and do 3B which will combo with the BE AND launch your opponent for the usual AAB, 7K, 2A+B combo.

For 44A BE, you replace 3B with 33B done as fast as you can. :D

The most important question for now is : How do we kill step? Of course its clearly easier to kill step W/O since it gives you that extra range and hits on certain moves like 4A, 22-88A, 22_88A+B. Orb not only lacks to improve the distance of your attacks but the horizontal space they cover. But wih N/O your range and options are really modified.
4A+B i s better N/O and you can also use B+K BE to use that homing bomb for horizontal tracking.

I have lots of info to post here but for now i'm going to bed it cause what i just wrote was hard as fuck to write without falling asleep. I'm beat :S PEACE!!!!!

W/O or N/O 4A seems to kil stepping pretty well. I also use 4A+B a lot.

Since I am fairly new with Viola, I don't know any good set ups/strategies with her. While I was in Practice Mode, I did W/O 9B, 6A, B while I was trying find a good strategy... However, when I did so, the orb for the 6A, B was a special low. And I assure you that it wasn't any other notion.

So, how do you make Viola's 6A,B hit as a special low?

Edit: On second thought, maybe it is just a glitch because I am having this happen to a bunch of her moves including 88B~B+A+K. The first ball hitted low and then the second one game back regular.

Glitch happened to me last night in play. Orb just went through the floor three times after 22B (BE) and entirely whiffed the opponent who got hit by the first hit. Welcome to Soul Glitch 5.

go into practice. do 6ABB+K(BE) CE as fast as possible. The ring out potential is hilairious and its a natural combo lmfao XD.

I still stand by her CE being trash but this is clearly a use for it

go into practice. do 6ABB+K(BE) CE as fast as possible. The ring out potential is hilairious and its a natural combo lmfao XD.

I still stand by her CE being trash but this is clearly a use for it

Why is the RO potential hilarious? I fail to understand there. Is there something you do afterwards?

I've been using 6AB~B+K a LOT since I seen the frames in the book.

On hit B+K (orb return) actually combos. I use this more than I should at this point.

Right now it seems like its difficult to get the orb back when you want it back. Especially if you're being spaces. Cervantes and Siegfried give her HELL. If you have no meter you're better off sending the orb out but bringing it right back. But when you have the orb combo potential is low.

Sigh. I wish she had a mid punisher then I wouldnt really complain about anything. 4A+B kinda sucks with the low priority.

I dunno. I'm still working on this lady.

I also think 1K is better than 2A

Back