Viola General Discussion / Q&A

It seems like a lot of Viola's stuff involving the orb leaves her pretty + on block, atleast just from eyeing it.

For example with her 4A+B move while the orb is set, you can actually move and attack while the orb is still hula hooping around you. I think that move will be a staple for her at some point, it just seems to cover a lot of space around her and gives you time to start offense.

I also think 6[A+B] with the orb in hand is gonna be pretty good. It's kinda like how Zwei can hold ein while he approaches to attack from multiple directions.

One thing that confuses me is if all the orb attacks and summons are relative to the opponent, other than the CE, what's the point of placing it in different places around the stage? The orb just teleports to wherever the opponent is so I don't see much of a point to that.

It seems like a lot of Viola's stuff involving the orb leaves her pretty + on block, atleast just from eyeing it.

For example with her 4A+B move while the orb is set, you can actually move and attack while the orb is still hula hooping around you. I think that move will be a staple for her at some point, it just seems to cover a lot of space around her and gives you time to start offense.

I also think 6[A+B] with the orb in hand is gonna be pretty good. It's kinda like how Zwei can hold ein while he approaches to attack from multiple directions.

One thing that confuses me is if all the orb attacks and summons are relative to the opponent, other than the CE, what's the point of placing it in different places around the stage? The orb just teleports to wherever the opponent is so I don't see much of a point to that.

I agree about 4A+B, it's very useful for gaining a little control of the match. The only problem I see with it, is that they get pushed back really far, so a lot of Viola's normals will whiff.

As far as 6[A+B] goes, I can only see that being useful from fullscreen, she can't move immediately after she calls the Orb back, so she can easily be punished from mid/close range. However, from fullscreen you've got time to charge it completely, and that let's you get closer very quickly.

And I think they did that so she would be able to have two sets of normals, if the Orb didn't place anywhere, she'd always have to be holding Orb, then she wouldn't have a lot of her moves. And on top of that, her CE let's her get mixup from fullscreen, if they are close to the Orb when you activate it, you're guaranteed an approach option.

Outside of A+B Orb calls, I don't think many people realize how good 6B+K with the Orb set is. After a knockdown, or during a long ranged roll, you can reset pressure with this. It keeps the Orb set, so you can still get your good hit-confirms, or go into your offensive tools with the Orb return calls using A+B, but it tracks the opponent throughout it's duration. So you can get safe pressure, or at least some lockdown upon the opponents wake-up.

4A+B is to be used sparingly. Opponents can quickly rush in if they anticipate it and punish. I had this happen a number of times, it has a minimum range. So if you want to use it, be sure you are at around mid-range first, and be prepared for a possible rush.

I agree on 6B+K but any opponent that moves forward while you do the animation is likely to escape the move entirely and get close enough to you for some pressure. The nice thing about Viola is that she does have to be so much based around mindgames that this might actually work in your favor if mixed in well with other moves.

I agree about 4A+B, it's very useful for gaining a little control of the match. The only problem I see with it, is that they get pushed back really far, so a lot of Viola's normals will whiff.

As far as 6[A+B] goes, I can only see that being useful from fullscreen, she can't move immediately after she calls the Orb back, so she can easily be punished from mid/close range. However, from fullscreen you've got time to charge it completely, and that let's you get closer very quickly.

And I think they did that so she would be able to have two sets of normals, if the Orb didn't place anywhere, she'd always have to be holding Orb, then she wouldn't have a lot of her moves. And on top of that, her CE let's her get mixup from fullscreen, if they are close to the Orb when you activate it, you're guaranteed an approach option.

Outside of A+B Orb calls, I don't think many people realize how good 6B+K with the Orb set is. After a knockdown, or during a long ranged roll, you can reset pressure with this. It keeps the Orb set, so you can still get your good hit-confirms, or go into your offensive tools with the Orb return calls using A+B, but it tracks the opponent throughout it's duration. So you can get safe pressure, or at least some lockdown upon the opponents wake-up.

6A+B has a hitbox up close too when Viola swings so it's actually a 2 hit move. So I guess the biggest risk is mid range outside of her melee attack where they can still whiff punish it.

But yeah I get the orb mechanic, I just meant like, what's the point of leaving it laying around the stage? Like I thought the placement of the orb would be important, but the attacks don't originate from where the orb is sitting, so where you put it down isn't of any consequence.

Also I agree with you guys on 6B+K, seems like one of the better orb calls. Of course if they rush in to avoid it, that's where 2B+K comes in. Or just viola cutting them off herself. This character has so much room for trickery, I love it!

Well I think orb out 4A+B is being slept on a little bit I do agree that you have to be a little bit of distance away but its to good cause after the person has gotten hit or blocked the first hit you can block right after and they have to block the 2nd hit or there attack will be interrupted giving you can free mix up if they block the 2nd hit or just get hit its a very important move its s-mid, tracks, and has huge advantage on block(2nd hit ). So as long you block after the first hit with a little distance its a free trap and they can't grab you from that distance either, its one of her top key moves for mind games and mix ups.

N/Orb 3B AAB 7K 2A+B

A question I have is, after the 2A+B ender, what should Viola do? Rush up for pressure to avoid getting lost in a range game, or use the orb to pressure from range, or something else? Also this combo does not seem to be able to RO. Ironic that N/Orb B-throw does (RO's in front).

Also 3B is unsafe on block. Free AA from the faster characters at least, meaning -13 on block. It could be range-dependent (further ranges is slightly safer). It does TC until impact though, unless someone had a high A interrupt it before.

N/Orb = No orb
W/Orb or Orb = with orb

Easier to define the moves/combos that way.

Well you get another 2A+B after the first 2A+B btw, I don't think to rush up to be honest I think its good to play the range pressure with n/o to make them do what you want its all mind games and frame traps to get solid dmg. While there down you can also use your your super right after the last hit of the combo and run up and create and 50/50 if you feel its worth using the meter. Remember you can cancel n/o B+k, 2A+k, 6B+K, and 2B+k at anything time into each other which is really good at a distance. Also Her 44aA+B+K is also good after that combo because you can run up and start a mix up if quick enough.

BTW 3B is -14 and w/orb is harder to punish so its not bad, but I think 4B should be used a lot for mix ups and whiff punishing its a safe stun move into free combo.

2A+B after 2A+B is not possible if ukemi is applied. Valid combos and hit strings usually take that into account, meaning a valid combo is one that cannot be escaped using ukemi.

Also I think you meant N/O 2B+K and not 2A+K. There are no more A+K inputs in the game lol.

after the first 2A+B in that combo a 2nd one is free only in that combo(n/o 2A+b) I didn't say in the open it is a valid ender. Haha yeah I meant n/o 2A+B sorry.

After the 3B BnB(Bread and Butter) combo, I tend to play the range game and force them to commit to approaching me.

Also, CE is a viable option after the combo as well (as earlier stated). I'm happy they gave her the ability to cancel calls with another call as it makes creating mindgames a lot easier.

I'm still wary of using 6A+B is send out the orb though since it's a HH string and that always makes me nervous, lol. If I recall correctly, 4A+B and A+B(B) automatically separate Viola from the orb? Maybe that's something to look into as well?

Yeah 4A+B and 6B+K are good for that cause there both safe and mid but has better tracking.

I like 6A,B for throwing the orb out at close range.

Also, wanted to throw out a combo chain I've been working on. It's n/orb 3B AAB CE but then I'm having a hard time keeping the juggle. I think 6A+B or maybe 33B are options. Im thinking I could finish the combo with another AAB then 9K 2A+B.

6B+K is steppable, but then you can mix it up with 4A+B from time to time. 6B+K does hit closer than 4A+B, but I am wary of using it against opponents that step well, especially at close ranges where 4A+B will not hit (ie. they know I cannot mix up against them using that move).

After 2A+B I'm usually using 2B+K or 6B+K and either playing a range game with her longer pokes W/O, or rushing in while 6B+K is active to play close.

I like 6A,B for throwing the orb out at close range.

Also, wanted to throw out a combo chain I've been working on. It's n/orb 3B AAB CE but then I'm having a hard time keeping the juggle. I think 6A+B or maybe 33B are options. Im thinking I could finish the combo with another AAB then 9K 2A+B.

After the CE do 9A+B, wait for the last three hits to finish and then connect with your second AAB. Full combo string using this and finishing with the 9K ender does 95 DMG.

This is better suited for the Combo Discussion thread though, shall we move it there?

Hello!

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I am a decent SC player; not good, but decent. For instance, I cannot, in SCIV or SCV, hit Setsuka's JF umbrella; ever. But, I can still win matches (Setsuka was my main in SCIV) and I can play my tourney level friend (The_Dandy_Cage) without making a fool of myself, which I'm happy with.

I am also a bit of a masochist, so I think I want to main Viola in SCV. So, Question:

What the heck do I do during her CE to actually do some damage? Training mode tells me that I get ~55 each time. Screw that; I'll do 2 of her brave edges, please.

I assume I am missing something? Any help is appreciated. (There didn't seem to be much in the combo threads...)

Thanks,
--Fletch

my biggest problem so far has been step killing any tips?

Welcome to the life of a short-ranged character.

I actually would like to hear more about this too. I have ideas but I would like to know what others think. And what is worse, most ofViola's combos so far (and her game) depend rather heavily on the meter. Such characters are almost always at a disadvantage. :\

Welcome to the life of a short-ranged character.

I actually would like to hear more about this too. I have ideas but I would like to know what others think. And what is worse, most ofViola's combos so far (and her game) depend rather heavily on the meter. Such characters are almost always at a disadvantage. :\

Talim wasn't too bad. I think the biggest problem lies with the new super step. I love ultra sidestepping siggy 3b and punishing with my own XD

As you all have stated 4A+B is one of the only options I see, and the range is very particular.

Its sort of agitating really.

At melee range though she is fine. I have no problem with her there. but side stepping mid-long range opponents are incredibly difficult for me to control

So I'm starting Violas top 10 thread right now, can we agree on a notation for when the orb is out and when she has the orb? I think the "terra zenith" "luna zenith" thing could be confusing for no reason as they describe the action of the orb actually going out or coming back.

WO - with orb
OP - orb placed

yay/nay?

EDIT: nvm I just seen the W/O N/O notation.

Back