Viola General Discussion / Q&A

I was messing around with 4A BE and I found that it doesn't always combo. I'm a SC noob, so maybe there's just some fundamental thing that I'm not understanding, can someone elaborate on this? It seems like a really solid combo starter, but I want to make sure not to use it if it's not going to combo.

Ok as it was stated before, Viola really depends on meter. But both her 44A BE and her 22_88B BE are really usefull. Especially 22_88B to punish verticals. Here's the combo i use:

22_88B BE ( When BE start wait just a bit and do 3B which will combo with the BE AND launch your opponent for the usual AAB, 7K, 2A+B combo.

For 44A BE, you replace 3B with 33B done as fast as you can. :D

The most important question for now is : How do we kill step? Of course its clearly easier to kill step W/O since it gives you that extra range and hits on certain moves like 4A, 22-88A, 22_88A+B. Orb not only lacks to improve the distance of your attacks but the horizontal space they cover. But wih N/O your range and options are really modified.
4A+B i s better N/O and you can also use B+K BE to use that homing bomb for horizontal tracking.

I have lots of info to post here but for now i'm going to bed it cause what i just wrote was hard as fuck to write without falling asleep. I'm beat :S PEACE!!!!!

Played a good bit of matches with her today, I'm having the same problem you guys are with her, killing step at mid range seems to be her biggest challenge. I had the best luck with the 66A series. At further ranges, 1A+B is a slow, albeit nice low because you can combo 66A+B off of it.

I still think 4A+B is really useful just as a defensive tool at range, or on top of them for oki. As stated before, it's just not good point blank because of the dead zone in close.

I'm finding she gets throws really easy in conjunction with the orb, since it covers your throw attempt pretty well. I still haven't conditioned anyone to duck enough, so I'm just getting tons of free throws, but I think that's where he mixups might really start opening up, and then going for launchers.

I checked the guide with my friend today and her 33B is safe at -7. 3B is -14.

NONE OF HER LOWS ARE SAFE. The best we get is 2K at -14. Everything else is worse on block.

Hmm any other thoughts... 6A+B seems pretty good but I can't ever get people to hold still so I can set it up. It's VERY linear. I personally think 6B+K seems like her best orb setting move. Pretty sure it's decently positive on block.

Not sure if this one is guaranteed with air control but I found 33B 6B+K dash BBB 9K 2A+B.

Hmm any other thoughts... 6A+B seems pretty good but I can't ever get people to hold still so I can set it up. It's VERY linear. I personally think 6B+K seems like her best orb setting move. Pretty sure it's decently positive on block.
Good to know that I'm not the only one having issues with that move. I can kind of see how it is good but I usually get punished for using it. It's too easy to dodge in my opinion.

Also, I have a question. Someone suggested that I should try 3B AAB into CE then do a back grab into a 3B AAB 9K 2A+B combo. Does this mean backgrabs are untechable? Or is it untechable because of the CE?

I checked the guide with my friend today and her 33B is safe at -7. 3B is -14.

NONE OF HER LOWS ARE SAFE. The best we get is 2K at -14. Everything else is worse on block.

I want this frame data. Send me a screenshot or PM with the full thing I will add it all myself and all that when I get the time/chance. The book is definitely not on sale here lol.

None of her lows being safe sure sounds like Setsuka in SC3, where getting the opponent to duck was also a damn hard thing to do.

I'll have the guide for myself tomorrow, it's my friend's copy. When I do though I'll definitely get it on here!

Since we were on the topic of step killers at mid range with her, I sat down and went through her whole move set and... well, you guys weren't kidding. She doesn't have anything hardly. With orb, A+B is good. A+B, B is guaranteed on hit but it's super mega unsafe on block. Free launchers and such. 22K also hits decently far but it's slow and not very threatening damage wise. Hits mid though and you get an orb set / call off of it.

Also on block, in strings such as BBB, the orb call back at the end of the string is duckable. Be careful of tech crouch moves if you're using it in block strings, don't get predictable with it.

Viola so far plays really passive aggressive. So far I'm turtling most matches, and attempting to bait mistakes, then hurting them for it.

Also good to note - 1A+B is a slow low, but combos into not just 66A+BB but also 2B+K BE. Which means you can: 1A+B 2B+K BE AAB 9K 2A+B for around 80 damage.

Or, if you can spare the meter:
1A+B 2B+K BE AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 9K 2A+B for around 100.

You can also stop the combo short at 1A+B 2B+K BE AAB 2A+B so that you have good oki. I like to follow it up with another (2A+B). If they tech and block it, you get a free 3B.

Hi all, I came 2nd in a tournament (Synraii came 1st) I used viola mostly and so I'd like to say thanks for the info you guys found out, videos, combos, general move usage.

Man I ticked off when I felt I did something good, I look at siegfried's lifebar and it's like 1/5 down and I'm like WTF?

Ah well, I'll be getting my copy tomorrow so I'll join the discovery adventures! So with that in mind, I'm at his house playing story mode together!!

AZ

has anyone found any moves not in the training mode yet? I've yet to see a soul calibur game that listed all moves so I'd be surprised if there wasn't SOMETHING there.
on a related note does viola really only have 1 Unblockable and NO justframe attacks?

every ball attack is free jg/gi punish=( she is dead to me. Even N/O 6B+K can be punished with gi even if you blocking i think.

every ball attack is free jg/gi punish=( she is dead to me. Even N/O 6B+K can be punished with gi even if you blocking i think.

GI costs gauge. Enough that many people won't spare it.

Along with that, if you're using your ball recalls at close enough range that this is an issue, you're probably doing something wrong.

JG is a different story, but arguably EVERYTHING can be punished by JG, so... Yeah.

it's like parry projectiles in 3s, easiest thing. Yes, gi costs meter, but its garanteed damage, some chars can punish pretty far and does not relies much on meter. At least its better than using 2BE for mixups or for a bit extended combos. And some attacks have pretty big gap between hits for easy jg, for example in w/o 9K you can run forward a bit and jg second hit. JG/GI fast attacks much harder, haven't much succes in jg second hit in BB strings or Hildas charged attacks. Still no info about advantage on jg.
JG does not means punish, but it gives meter and you have less frame advantage.

I am going to be very polite about it.

Do you even know what JG is?
what is it?
i don't think jg crushing your block like gi, B+K /6B+K/2B+K must be safe on jg and i think still have some frame advantage. And i don't think 6A+B is punishable on jg at max range, though it's possible that some chars can do something.
Or if ball can be punished by using jg, then viola is unplayable char. Like sf dan.

JG negates all frame data you can instantly launch (small window) after you JG an attack. Or you could say a safe attack became unsafe (but not by much). This has already been proven in the JG tutorial video. You could try it out yourself. It does not use meter, it builds back guard burst, it can be practiced. Why would you use GI over JG?

JG negates all frame data you can instantly launch (small window) after you JG an attack. Or you could say a safe attack became unsafe (but not by much). This has already been proven in the JG tutorial video. You could try it out yourself. It does not use meter, it builds back guard burst, it can be practiced. Why would you use GI over JG?

gi is stupid easy and always leads to full punish.
btw have you tried jg something? And any multihit attacks? Punish something safe with jg launcher?)JG tutorial video is trolling.

Just guard is insanely hard to do IMO. I don't think I've done it intentionally in a match yet. Even in training mode with the computer just doing BB it's still kinda hard to JG atm. I think theoretically though, JG is better. Guaranteed punishes, it's free, there's no big whiff animation. Just a matter of ease of use, like using meter to do iGDR with Cervy or just doing it manually if you're good enough to get it 100%.

Played a shit ton more matches with Viola today. Just a couple of quick findings:

The orb recall on her AA and BB gives a quick crumple stun. You can actually do AAB (counter hit) CE and it combos, then launch on the last hit of the CE.

8A+B is godlike. Really good whiff punish, can't really be punished if they aren't up against the corner, the orb tracks them, it knocks down, does good damage. It's one of her few safe moves with UMPH behind it. Try it out!

I think 2B+K is her best move to use on the opponent's oki by far. It allows so many free mixups without risk of being hit. You can go for 3B / 1A+B / throw or whatever else you want. That's my main game plan with her right now and it's working great.

I'll have frame data pictures up for you guys tomorrow.

Villainous literally has said everything I've pretty much stumbled upon in these few days of playing.

Granted, she's pretty unsafe, but she has quite the mixup game, and she does good damage (not amazing, but good, even if you play conservative and don't use a lot of meter.)

I use 4A+B most of the time to seperate the orb from me now. At a distance, it's not horribly punishable since she can block before the animation finishes. My opponents are too accustomed to 6A+B(though I can use it from a distance), AAB and BBB now for me to use them all that much. I've been getting punished regularly for the highs. :\

As Villainous said, 8A+B is just...stupid. I daresay it's her best move. It techcrouches, the orb semi-tracks, it rings out, and it does good damage. I really can't say enough good things about this move.

I still wish we had a really good low though. I guess decent damage off of CH 1A and good damage off of 1A+B is nothing to gripe about, haha.

Back