Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Sorry for the noob question but I am practising and stuck in this combos:
N/O 3B, AAB, W/O 2A+B, 2b+k~BE

My issue is I never success in 2b+k~BE after 2A+B, so sometimes Viola does 2B or sometimes only 2B+K, not 2b+k~BE
Seems I don't know the timing of 2b+k~BE after 2A+B, please help me

I've never found 33K particularly useful. Isn't great on block, doesn't give much if it hits, linear and not that fast. :(

I might have written it off too early though, I'll play a bit with it again.

Also I hate Viola mirrors, FYI. They all feel really lame, especially because whenever I fight against a Viola, all the stuff that I can bait for major damage with Alpha comes into mind. So I bait situations, and suddenly realize I'm not alpha :P.

im not a fan of mirrors too. Watching myself and opponent trying to bait each other with the exact same setups is getting boring after a few fights :P I always hope to learn something from mirrors though.

Anyone who watched the NCR stream yesterday and saw Mike D .. what was that one BE setup he was doing?

It started with 6A,B, BE, then it caused a stun which led to a guaranteed 3B

Lows shouldn't give advantage on hit. And to be honest, I don't know any lows that do give advantage on hit in SC5. They're all negative or KND (which leads to oki or combo). Same with Viola.
I know this quote was from a while back, but for Viola alone:

1A is +3 on hit.
6AA is 0.
44K is 0.

Lots of other characters have lows that give advantage or are neutral, like Alpha, whose 11A is +2, and 11K is 0.

I've never found 33K particularly useful. Isn't great on block, doesn't give much if it hits, linear and not that fast. :(

I might have written it off too early though, I'll play a bit with it again.
The main use I see is that it's her fastest forward advancing punish out of 8WR. Her fastest 8WR move is 33_99A at i16, but that move is nothing to write home about either.

22_88B (BE) and 33_99K are tied for second at i17. 22B is obviously a preferable punish, but a) it's range is much shorter, and b) it costs meter.

33_99K overcomes both of those issues, and also has built in evasive properties (tech jump) that can be good for going over pokes, i.e. 2A.

If you need a fast punish tool with range out of 8WR, I like 33_99K. It gives good wakes, too. Just don't use it as a mix-up tool, because it's ass on block. Reserve for whiff punishing/low crushing.

Anyone who watched the NCR stream yesterday and saw Mike D .. what was that one BE setup he was doing?

It started with 6A,B, BE, then it caused a stun which led to a guaranteed 3B
Yeah I would like to know this too, I couldn't figure it out. It looked like he did 4B 3B into the ender. What are the properties of 4b(or whatever move he used there)

Does anyone have enough ball to mercilessly juggle Tira into submission on XBL? I'm looking for a Viola main to spar with :D

So how have you guys changed your game plan since the patch?

I've pretty much exclusively been abusing the shit out of her upgrades. Styling with 44A(BE) to B+K(BE) combo into about 120+ damage has been a laugh.

Still been having trouble with the same old characters though. Viola seems better at wailing at people she could wail on before, but I still haven't found an answer to Seig, Asta and Ivy's bullshit.

Can do. I'm not promising to provide a challenge(especially not immediately XD ), but doggone it I won't ragequit!

Does anyone know the frame changes that came with the patch? I tested 4b quite a bit (I love that attack) and think it's only -4 on block now.

in Viola1 vs Viola2:
1 does 4B, 2 blocks it. Immediately after, 1 does AA, which is i12. If 2 does 6B (i16) she counter hits 1. If 2 does 3B (i18) she is couner hit by 1's AA. If 2 does throw (i17) it clashes with 1's AA. It means that 4B is -5 on block.

The frame changes are already known to us and should be in the Frame Data discussion. But to reiterate the changes (to frames in general) that I'm aware of:

4B: Now -5 on block (4 frames better), as Aragh said
WR B: Also -5 on block (3 frames better)
66B: i21 (3 frames faster), -6 on block (7 frames better)
33_99B: -11 on block (2 frames better)
33_99(B): -3 on block (4 frames better)

Could anyone who uses PS3 tell me what the current number one Legendary Souls time is on that system's leaderboard?
I'm currently number one on the 360, using Viola, about 4:22.

Also, the first Viola on the leaderboard. It would be much appreciated.

There is no such list. Just look at frame data and take the best option.

For block punishing:

Standing:
i12-13 you have AAB
i14-17 best is BBB
i18+ launch with 3B

Crouching:
i12-15 2A
i16-19 WS B
i20+ WS K

For whiff punishing:

Non 8WR:
-Close range: