Viola General Discussion / Q&A

No.

Kidding. Forget 6B+K completely. What I'm saying is that situation presents itself when Viola connects NH 2k while the orb is set. So:

1. Viola uses 2k and it hits---> she follows up with 2a.
2. If your opponent does anything that is slower than 2a or doesn't teach (which will which would technically land in 14 frames), your opponent will get hit. This also includes sidestepping.

Situation I'm saying is, in a reduced way, your opponent knowing that:

1. Viola uses 2k and then B+K.
2a. If your opponent responds with 2a, it will whiff, B+K will whiff, but Viola has frame advantage (not sure how much exactly)
2b. If your opponent backsteps, they have time to block b+k but you still have frame advantage.
2c. If your opponent attacks with something like bb or a jump attack (jumping forward), Viola loses.

2b+k is similar except it's slower, tech crouches, and, if the 2a whiffs, you're both at neutral before 2b+k is blocked/lands/is stepped/jumped/whatever.

Neat find

8 > 698[anything] allows you to step upwards and cancel that into an attack starting with an 8 input. Assuming you performed it correctly.

Therefore, Viola can 3B > AAB > 8 > 698A+B for when you need that slight angle to RO.

Neat find

8 > 698[anything] allows you to step upwards and cancel that into an attack starting with an 8 input. Assuming you performed it correctly.

Therefore, Viola can 3B > AAB > 8 > 698A+B for when you need that slight angle to RO.
Does this work going in the down direction too? Like 2 > 698A+B?

Does anyone have tips for consistently landing 6B+K FC 2K B+K BE? I'm perfect at getting the 6B+K FC 2K part but the B+K BE part is shaky. Sometimes it'll come out but they'll be able to guard it and other time I'll just get normal B+K and sometimes I'll just get plain WR A.

EDIT: Scratch the consistent with the FC K because I'm inconsistent with that too.

Last edited:
hey just wondering, if you do (3B AAB) orb 2A+B, then wait till opponent get up, then catch them with B+K BE which super launch them, can you then reverse ring them out with CE?

That won't work but you could do something like ---> 3b, aab, 1b. You can also do 3b, aab, CE, into unblockable, but she pretty much has to have her back right against the edge for that type of stuff.

hey just wondering, if you do (3B AAB) orb 2A+B, then wait till opponent get up, then catch them with B+K BE which super launch them, can you then reverse ring them out with CE?

That seems a bit convoluted. But you can always ORB 2A+B > 2B+K BE > sidestep > AAB > 8A+B which will at least help for angled ROs

And like LP said you can CE > UB. Or just CE > step 180 degrees around them > AAB combo.

Does this work going in the down direction too? Like 2 > 698A+B?

There's no need for that considering 22 > 8A+B has no issues with input overlaps

I want to know about the setups for the reverse CE ring out because it looks cool lol.
plus I have bad timing so even if I do 2b+k BE, I will probably mess up the side step and AAB and drop the combo instead...

Hi! New guy here trying to get an at least OK grasp of Viola. I've been going through this thread and other ones, but I still have some questions...

So, first question... is there any like, built in system to make her "relaunch" 2B+K BE move to diminish? Like for example: 3B, AAB, 6A+B*, 2B+K BE (<-- this one btw) AAB, 6A+B*, 2B+K, AAB etc etc. Or is it just as simple as if you've got the meter, you can combo like this forever and there's nothing the opponent can do about it?

Second question, I've been doing to 2B+K BE into AAB, but I've seen Viola players in videos use another "pick up move" after the BE, i.e. not AAB but another move into AAB. Am I wrong here or is this another move a real thing, and if so is it better to do always?

Finally, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that since Viola seems to be really really strong with meter, I figure that a big part of her game plan is to actually aquire meter. Now, what's the best way to do this with her in neutral spacing/general poking scenarios? Like, is there a specific mini combo or otherwise that you know of that you favour in regards for generating meter. Or is it simply all about 2A's, 2K's, 2B+K etc until your opponent stand still for a micro second, and then we let the SET 6B+K war begin.

Sorry for the wall of text etc, but oh well :)

Second question, I've been doing to 2B+K BE into AAB, but I've seen Viola players in videos use another "pick up move" after the BE, i.e. not AAB but another move into AAB. Am I wrong here or is this another move a real thing, and if so is it better to do always?

You should always do the other pick up move. It does more damage and is actually easier to time. The combo is :2::B+K::BE: :6::B+K: (:B: OR :6::6::A:) :A::A::B: etc. Using :B: is much easier but :6::6::A: does more damage and is longer ranged and so will work in more combos.

Finally, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that since Viola seems to be really really strong with meter, I figure that a big part of her game plan is to actually aquire meter. Now, what's the best way to do this with her in neutral spacing/general poking scenarios? Like, is there a specific mini combo or otherwise that you know of that you favour in regards for generating meter. Or is it simply all about 2A's, 2K's, 2B+K etc until your opponent stand still for a micro second, and then we let the SET 6B+K war begin.

I'm not sure I'd say meter-building is a huge part of her game. She's very strong even without it. I've never really altered my play-style in order to build more meter; it's easier to just do mixups and combos as you usually would and then burn the meter when you have it. The bread-and-butter, highest damage combo ender :6::6::B: :6::6::A+B::B: builds quite a nice amount of meter anyway.

I did not understand your first question.

1st question:

2B+K BE will continue to pick up the opponent if they attempt to tech (ukemi) after 6A+B. Otherwise, it will only fully relaunch once per combo. Using 2A+B > 2B+K BE will essentially add one more relaunch to the combo. However, by then you will have racked up so many hits that the opponent will likely auto-drop out of the combo soon. Unless they are teching.

2nd question:

The optimal combo extender after 2B+K BE is SET 6B+K > B (or 66A) > AAB because it does more damage. Do not step inbetween these hits or the opponent can air control out of the combo.

3rd question:

She gets most of her meter from combos involving 66B > 66A+BB. Try to land ORB 66B or ORB 33B to build meter since these are her safest meter less options

Well. It's technically the morning of December 27th here in Detroit, and that means it's also my 4th day with SoulCalibur V. I have loved Viola with a passion for these years that I've been forced to watch from the sidelines, and I have immediately taken her up.
I know this is probably not the best idea to a lot of her users but I'm trying to accustom myself EXTREMELY well to her mixup plans before I start too many combos; any general advice is also, as the title says, gladly accepted!

• Side notes as to how I've been playing regularly (offline) and also doing online so far as of 12/27/13 •

- I hold my (PS3) controller weirdly in what I call my "Tekken way" (even though I do it with all fighting games, 2D or 3D); I'll sit the controller on my lap halfway and use my index and middle fingers for combat instead of my thumb. I'm able to fight faster this way for some reason BUT the way I have to hold it also makes me drop more than a few combos (such as when I have to do AAB/BBB, either I'll press too fast or accidentally be pressing my leg on one of the shoulder buttons) since the R2/L2 buttons kinda hang in the back, unlike a PS2 controller.
- Speaking of shoulder buttons, what are the most convenient settings for them as a Viola player? (this may be asking too much but for any recommendations please consider the manner in which I hold my controller :P)
- CLEARLY this woman requires patience during a match, and I'm trying my best to get out of my rush-in, throw-out-combo-starters-and-hope-people-run-into-it playstyle; that's how I play in Tekken, as a Lili and Alisa mainer, and I've won multiple local tourneys, but it couldn't be more obvious that Viola is not that kind of person.
- This may sound pitiful, but I was VERY broke; this isn't just my 4th day with SCV, but also with a PS3 console. I just kept all my old games along with my trusty PS2, and SCIII was my treasure. In that (and SC:BD, which I had for a year but lost), I mained Tira (SCIII and now, such shocking contrast) and Amy. Just saying, in case any suggestions involve characteristics I could use that would have applied to them, or still do.

Oh! I also see many people uploading the auto saved replays from their online matches onto YouTube/8WAYRUN/other sites; I was wondering, do you do that with your console and an internet connection or is a laptop/computer needed for it?

Forgive my extreme ignorance level.
TT -TT

When you go to play Online, you can go to the replays and then use L2 and R2 to swap tabs until you get to the recent matches tab (I think that's what it's called) and there you can choose to "save" replays onto your Saved Replays tab or whatever it is. Then you can go to the tab where you saved it and along the bottom of the screen it will tell you the button to save it to your PS3, but I've forgotten the word it uses (might be something like Export).

The video will be saved under the videos tab in the Xross Media Bar.

Tira is one of the best defensive characters in the game and something like that goes a long way with Viola.

Other than that, I think learning to create and take advantage of openings goes a long way. When played right, to me, Viola is an extremely lame character and annoying character. That being said, most smart people are going to play pretty lame against her. So, yeah, patience is a virtue; you should learn to force your opponent into overextending themselves (obviously, newer players will do this much more often than older, better ones but practice is practice).

Tira is one of the best defensive characters in the game and something like that goes a long way with Viola.

Other than that, I think learning to create and take advantage of openings goes a long way. When played right, to me, Viola is an extremely lame character and annoying character. That being said, most smart people are going to play pretty lame against her. So, yeah, patience is a virtue; you should learn to force your opponent into overextending themselves (obviously, newer players will do this much more often than older, better ones but practice is practice).
Thank you for your input, sir. :D

Back