Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Apologies to be the bad guy, but please refrain from making unnecessary threads.
If you have a question please ask in the Q&A thread in future.

I need some games with someone knows how to be as cheap as possible with viola. All of these new discoveries have advanced to the point that I no longer know what to expect when fighting her. I lack viola players on my friends list. I need some games. psn is iadorebunnies.

Edit note : Refrain from excessive capitalization in the future please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I'd love to play you but after recently getting another taste of being connected to PSN it's been stolen away from me. :(

what do you do when your 44A BE is blocked instead of GI or side step, what are the options?
does the force crouch happen on the 3rd or 4th hit?
is there enough time to recover and grab them before the force crouch hit?
is it possible to set up an unblockable like a mid on the right frame when they were forced crouching? or can we only getting 50/50?

I NEED SOME GAMES WITH SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO BE AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE WITH VIOLA. ALL OF THESE NEW DISCOVERIES HAVE ADVANCED TO THE POINT THAT I NO LONGER KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN FIGHTING HER. I LACK VIOLA PLAYERS ON MY FRIENDS LIST. I NEED SOME GAMES. PSN IS IADOREBUNNIES.
Just saw this. We haven't played in a long time, and my cheapness has evolved so I can help you if you'd like.
what do you do when your 44A BE is blocked instead of GI or side step, what are the options?
does the force crouch happen on the 3rd or 4th hit?
is there enough time to recover and grab them before the force crouch hit?
is it possible to set up an unblockable like a mid on the right frame when they were forced crouching? or can we only getting 50/50?
Well first, you should try to never get 44A BE blocked. It'll be a waste of a meter and if they know what they're doing you'll get GI'd and punish. Always use the insane delay it has to hit confirm the BE. If by chance it is blocked, you should just go for the free mixup with 6B+K. That's what I do. Not sure about the unblockable.

@Devon I'm gonna be honest, I never use any of those moves except 6A sometimes because IMHO all three aren't that great. Also, lol never use A+B, especially not A+B BE. There are no followups except for 2B or 2K for tiny damage.

If by chance it is blocked, you should just go for the free mixup with 6B+K. That's what I do. Not sure about the unblockable.
6B+K doesn't work here because the moment I do 6B+K after 44A BE, they immediately interrupt with 2A or 2K. that's why I am asking for even more basic way to mix it up once it got blocked.

Just saw this. We haven't played in a long time, and my cheapness has evolved so I can help you if you'd like.

Well first, you should try to never get 44A BE blocked. It'll be a waste of a meter and if they know what they're doing you'll get GI'd and punish. Always use the insane delay it has to hit confirm the BE. If by chance it is blocked, you should just go for the free mixup with 6B+K. That's what I do. Not sure about the unblockable.

@Devon I'm gonna be honest, I never use any of those moves except 6A sometimes because IMHO all three aren't that great. Also, lol never use A+B, especially not A+B BE. There are no followups except for 2B or 2K for tiny damage.
Sounds great! We gotta re-add each other on psn. I'm usually on kind of late nowadays...

Edit note : and again !

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, just tested it, it's not unblockable, even in force crouch they can still block mids.
I guess that only leaves me with mix up options like step forward 3A/6B/1K/FC K

I am sure someone has complain about this before, but why is that 44A BE sometimes just waste meter and doesn't move the orb at all?

The 44A BE glitch happens a lot more often if the orb is set very close to you when you use it.

There is also a glitch where if you are knocked down during ORB 2A+B and the orb stays high above the ground, the next time you use an attack involving the orb it will be very high up. So 44A BE at this point will likely not even combo. I also believe SET BBB will not fully combo.

And then there's the glitch where using 2B+K BE or 2B+K when the opponent's back is to a short gate will cause the orb to move above the gate.

Fun stuff.

What are some options after ORB 3B on both block and hit?
On hit, if you want guaranteed damage and to lose the orb then ORB 3B BBB. If you want guard pressure and possibly damage (you'll almost always get guard pressure) then ORB 3B 2A+B.

On block the pushback makes it basically unpunishable by most characters. It's -14 on block so you'd probably want to back off or guard if you don't want to backstep.

I got a question about Viola.

Does everytime you get hit by FC K- FEAR- FC A combo mean you could have got hit by the FC K- orb BE BS?

So it's still the same concept. I was asking because LP landed that shit about 1000000 times last NEC, and about 999998 on me. If that's how it works, he had no reason to not use the BS except a soft ban or self restrain.

Well, considering SET 6B+K > FC K is roughly +16 on its own and B+K BE is i10 + RCC frames iirc, then SET 6B+K > FC K > RCC B+K BE takes significantly better timing than SET 6B+K > FC K > FC A. So there's also that. But yeah, as long as he has meter, times it correctly, and is at the correct distance he has no reason not to use B+K BE. Other than muh politically correctness.

Can anyone give general advice on a tournament style Viola? The only thing I could think of so far is more aggression and utilizing SET 4A+B more, more so during a FEAR attempt. PM if need be. I'll be reading frame data.

Back