Viola General Matchup Discussion

Just gotta get in close. Xiba is at his strongest at midrange, you are at your weakest at midrange. Thus its best to stay outta midrange. Just a few tidbits from the guide if you didnt already know how to counter these things: 6BK if very popular by Xiba players. If you block the B you can punish with a fast move. Or you can even step the B since its very linear. 66BBB if one of their better strings for pressuring you and mixing you up if you aren't sidestepping much. If you block the first hit and the 2nd doesnt come. or if you guard the whole string then the last hit is very unsafe. Then punish it heavily to discourage its use. If you get used to 1A you can do a forward jumping attack and hit him as he recovers.
The forward jumping attack you speak of is actually 1A+B. 1A is a sweep. Really, people start catching on to 1A+B pretty quick. If you're opponent adapts to 1A+B you have to get tricky with it. The easiest time to land it is after W/O 2A+B. Especially if W/O 2A+B isn't blocked. W/O 4A hits mid-range and sidesteps. N/O 4A+B also hits mid-range. If N/O 4A+B hits then following with 8A+B will combo with it. Point being, you can make Xiba's uncomfortable at mid-range. You just need to keep them under pressure. Xiba has major whiff potential you can exploit too.

The forward jumping attack you speak of is actually 1A+B. 1A is a sweep. Really, people start catching on to 1A+B pretty quick. If you're opponent adapts to 1A+B you have to get tricky with it. The easiest time to land it is after W/O 2A+B. Especially if W/O 2A+B isn't blocked. W/O 4A hits mid-range and sidesteps. N/O 4A+B also hits mid-range. If N/O 4A+B hits then following with 8A+B will combo with it. Point being, you can make Xiba's uncomfortable at mid-range. You just need to keep them under pressure. Xiba has major whiff potential you can exploit too.
Actually the forward jump attack I am refering to is any forward jump that might hit like 9k, 9B etc. Or even an Empty jump over the attack into a punish when you land.

i need tips against siegfried. Seriously, whoever said he is gonna be lowtier must have a very strange sense of humor. I know two decent Siegfrieds i sometimes play, plus i met some online. Im always having the same problem: im unable to stay on him - he just swings this oversized piece of iron around, i block and am getting sent back across half of the stage by his pushback. Then, he can just wait or keep swinging at me: i guess wrong once or twice and its end of the round becouse his damage output is only surpased by Astaroth's. I cant even interrupt his stance transitions because im usually too far. I sometimes meet players using other chars and if they space skillfully it hard staying on them too, but with Siegfried it is ALWAYS the case. How do you handle Siegfried, guys? Cos im losing all faith here

How are people faring against Voldo? Lack of quick lows are really making it a hassle for me to take them out

How are people faring against Voldo? Lack of quick lows are really making it a hassle for me to take them out

Voldo is pretty easy for me. I used him for 13 years so I guess that could be it. I haven't gone in depth with him even though he is my primary main. He seems easy to pick up.

Thanks for the help guys, your feedback is well appreciated! I will use this in mind when against a Xiba, thank you very much. :)

Thanks for the help guys, your feedback is well appreciated! I will use this in mind when against a Xiba, thank you very much. :)
Make sure to check this thread every now and then. I will be updating the first post with other match ups. Hopefully it will start a bigger discussion.

Any pointers on how to deal with pyrrah? My friend switched to her from natsu and is beating me consistently. The horizontal to vertical mixups totally ruin my step game and he knows to always step when i recall.

Any pointers on how to deal with pyrrah? My friend switched to her from natsu and is beating me consistently. The horizontal to vertical mixups totally ruin my step game and he knows to always step when i recall.
That's what you want him to do isn't it? You: recall. You're friend: steps. You: 4A+B (mid-range only, if it lands you get a free 8A+B follow-up) or 4+A or 1A+B. I haven't played a lot of Pyrrahs. If you can start to read the mix-ups you could start to punish them. 22A and 4A sidesteps verticals and stuns for a follow-up. If you see a vertical coming it's fun to throw out a 4B+K once in a while. And when you do AAB's or BBB's (most people recommend using AAB's but BBB's hit crouching opponents so mix it up) don't always end them with 9K but sometimes grab after recall or do 2A+B once in a while. Get used to throwing the orb around and transitioning between 2B+K,6B+K and 2A+B. This will get you're opponent moving and you'll eventually get to know how to "lead" them around.

My main problem is that immediately after a recall he can either tech crouch into a stab or he can step into a laucher combo that i don't have time to block while recalling. If he doesn't see me recall, like if i decide to throw instead, he can do the tech crouch stab instead. Also, pyrrah b, b has more range and is faster that viola b, b so that always wins too. I'm having trouble finding any move that's faster than a pyrrah move. I'm sure they exist though. My big problem with 4a+ b is that pyrrah can tech crouch beneath it and get a free stab, even at max range. 4a might be helpful but i think it might be too slow. Anyway, not sure where to go from here.

My main problem is that immediately after a recall he can either tech crouch into a stab or he can step into a laucher combo that i don't have time to block while recalling. If he doesn't see me recall, like if i decide to throw instead, he can do the tech crouch stab instead. Also, pyrrah b, b has more range and is faster that viola b, b so that always wins too. I'm having trouble finding any move that's faster than a pyrrah move. I'm sure they exist though. My big problem with 4a+ b is that pyrrah can tech crouch beneath it and get a free stab, even at max range. 4a might be helpful but i think it might be too slow. Anyway, not sure where to go from here.

Against pyrrha.. BB recall is safest. Mix up between the recall and the move. After BB on block if they 236 B and you block it then.you can.punish with 3B. BB recall is defeated by i12 or faster TCs. It should be safe against pyrrha. AA and BB are the same speeds as pyrrha's.basically after BB is blocked just turtle and once they become to predictable just step or duck and punish.

AAB recall > use ORB orb moves.
BBB recall > use SET orb moves.

Ok I'll give that a try. Pyrrah's step launcher still has me concerned as any stepped recall translates into solid damage. Thanks for the help guys

Against Leixia... JG really won't help out a whole lot vs her. As long as she's not being predictable with the timing, her best guard bursting moves will be near impossible to JG on reaction. 33BB is the main one to practice against, but most of her guard gauge assault is going to be fast safe verticals and 44A.

I don't know the specifics of this matchup too well yet, but overall, because Lex doesn't need strings to pressure safely it's not as easy using JG.

Doing some research of other characters I don't play as quite as much. I have noticed how easily Viola can shut down my preparation. A good Viola is actually one of the matchups I have the hardest times against.

Doing some research of other characters I don't play as quite as much. I have noticed how easily Viola can shut down my preparation. A good Viola is actually one of the matchups I have the hardest times against.

Yep, Viola beats raph pretty clean as far as matchups go. I've felt that way for a while.

Also guys, I've been experimenting with VS 4B+K in some tougher matchups - It straight up makes a couple of situations 1000x better. Pyrrha's 66B can be a bastard to step on reaction - but 4B+K dodges it, and puts you at advantage.

Also guys, I've been experimenting with VS 4B+K in some tougher matchups - It straight up makes a couple of situations 1000x better. Pyrrha's 66B can be a bastard to step on reaction - but 4B+K dodges it, and puts you at advantage.
im working on incorporating it into my game too, and while it is a really shitty aGI compared to what other chars have, it can tremendously help to take over initiative. I have made a complete list of strings that can be avoided with it along with other ways to deal with each character's moveset, but its in polish. Also someone here in this SA was making such a list a while ago

Yeah, VS 4B+K throws people off...but you have to use it wisely. I sure don't. I get anxious and use it at the beginning or middle of combos for some reason. I'm breaking that habit, actually having that habit broke. So far, I mainly throw after a successful evade (4B+K). Most opponents online lock up and hold block after the evade. For when people don't I'm thinking of 6B+K to 3B to Bnb if that works.

I don't have too much trouble against Pyrrha save for some Quick Battle AIs who find it hilarious to auto-GI all of my mids and universal-GI my lows. I haven't really run into any problems against her or Raph. (Omega may be a different story.)
i need tips against siegfried.
I do, however, get floored by Siegfried on the regular. I can't seem to 4B+K anything because he sweeps like no one's business. I know I'm not at disadvantage but I seem to be falling into frame trap after frame trap. I flounder around on this matchup and it's easily my worst. Any tips are appreciated.

Pyrrah's 88B (i think) launch combo tears me apart. It appears to go under the orb and hits through 3A. Anyone else have trouble with that move?

Back