Viola General Matchup Discussion

Really? If he steps while I'm calling the orb, i don't think i have time to block. Also, if i do block he seems to have time to land then stab. Maybe I'm just moving too slow.

Yeah I noticed some Ivy players seem to keep me away from her at times. And its hard to get close because they just continue to push you back.

Anyone have any advice for dealing with the following characters: Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Maxi, and Siegfried?

I ask about these guys specifically because at Norcal these were all the characters that gave me the most trouble. Everyone else is a pretty fair fight for me, these guys always feel like an uphill battle though. Well besides Asta and Voldo, but i think these two are just a match up knowledge thing.

i need tips against siegfried. Seriously, whoever said he is gonna be lowtier must have a very strange sense of humor. I know two decent Siegfrieds i sometimes play, plus i met some online. Im always having the same problem: im unable to stay on him - he just swings this oversized piece of iron around, i block and am getting sent back across half of the stage by his pushback. Then, he can just wait or keep swinging at me: i guess wrong once or twice and its end of the round becouse his damage output is only surpased by Astaroth's. I cant even interrupt his stance transitions because im usually too far. I sometimes meet players using other chars and if they space skillfully it hard staying on them too, but with Siegfried it is ALWAYS the case. How do you handle Siegfried, guys? Cos im losing all faith here

Oh my god I know what you mean. >.> A garbage Sieg usually isn't too much trouble but with the good ones you can barely ever get in at all. Poking with the orb from afar is obviously unfeasible. I have noticed if I happened to get in and combo they usually don't know how to deal but it's a rare occurrence since just wake up is hell and the speed and damage is not bad either. With Pyrrha I usually torture Asta or Sieg but with Viola they are hell.

With Sieg and Asta I tend to see what is coming. I have played a lot of them. For Asta I like to wait for the throw. Most people i have played get hungry for a throw when they us him and step in to mid range after they have pushed me to far for me to do anything. With Sieg If they are not trying to over power me with big moves my rule is if i just blocked a mid they are about to do to lows.

With sieg, it's mostly character knowledge. Learn where his lows are out of stance, learn some of his guessing games, and start either JGing or using your 4B+K. :P

i feel like i know him perfectly already. The problem with his lows is that he can mix them up with mids and both options give him big damage and good spacing, like 6B+K B_K. I 4B+K stuff like his 4B+K BBB, so they just do only B and i end up "i know" taunting them.
And JG is stupid :P
its super unintuitive to me, i just can't understand what my char did that made opponents attack go through me :P but i know its gonna be a must to get used to that shit...

Okay, does anyone else find Viola mirrors incredibly frustrating? It feels like whoever is more random wins =/

Okay, does anyone else find Viola mirrors incredibly frustrating? It feels like whoever is more random wins =/

Not really - I just find them sort of boring. If it's a against a bad Viola, they don't understand what I'm doing and just lose to it really bad. If it's against a Viola with some knowledge, it becomes a match of one of two things:

Both of us fishing for the same setups, and pretty much flailing at each other attempting to interrupt Viola's pressure where we know how.

or

Lots of poking because neither of us wants the other one to have an in. And once someone DOES do something risky, the other one just goes on the offensive till the end of the round.

The majority of my Viola mirrors recently, though I've won most of them, have turned out something closer to the second option and feel really lame to play. As such, when I can, I generally avoid mirrors unless I'm asked to specifically.

Oh, I definitely know what you mean. I go into every mirror assuming my opp. is a knowledgeable Viola who is aware of all her potential setups/combos etc. Most of the time, this turns out not to be the case and I end up playing too safe because I'm aware of how dangerous she can be. Also the fact that you have to play in each other's face is a pain. I've probably lost more Viola mirrors than won, and every one of those matches felt terrible.

My mirrors are 50/50. It gets rough when they figure out 8A+B and 3B ducks a recall. My only saving grace is that I can typically do more of her combo's. But, my timing has been off since the update and I've been losing more from dropped combo's.

its super unintuitive to me, i just can't understand what my char did that made opponents attack go through me :P but i know its gonna be a must to get used to that shit...

You HAVE to use it.

Like no joke, there are things you can easy sidestep in this game, but to be honest if it's easy to JG, that's 100% the better option. It still gives you the punish, but most of all you get free meter. And meter is ridiculous useful on Viola.

Oh, I definitely know what you mean. I go into every mirror assuming my opp. is a knowledgeable Viola who is aware of all her potential setups/combos etc. Most of the time, this turns out not to be the case and I end up playing too safe because I'm aware of how dangerous she can be. Also the fact that you have to play in each other's face is a pain. I've probably lost more Viola mirrors than won, and every one of those matches felt terrible.

Yeah, most of the time I find that the person does not know anything but AAB and 2 a+b.

i feel like i know him perfectly already. The problem with his lows is that he can mix them up with mids and both options give him big damage and good spacing, like 6B+K B_K. I 4B+K stuff like his 4B+K BBB, so they just do only B and i end up "i know" taunting them.

Luck may be on my side and I may just be fighting sigs with a bad mix up game.

My mirrors are 50/50. It gets rough when they figure out 8A+B and 3B ducks a recall. My only saving grace is that I can typically do more of her combo's. But, my timing has been off since the update and I've been losing more from dropped combo's.

I feel like i have not been able to do any combos online since the update. when do 3b aab 2 a+b 2 b+k BE I wiff the BE or the somehow. it seems like all the be inputs are just a hair off to me.

22B BE keeps coming out as 44B. And 44/77/11A BE fizzles out more often for me post-patch. Which sucks since that's the opening for the biggest combo of hers I can do (22 hits). When it doesn't fizzle I then have to worry about dropping the combo after 2B+K BE.
Me: 44/77/11A BE (please don't fizzle) 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB (please connect) 66B 66A+BB 1A+B or another 2A+B depending on range. Now I can only get this off maybe a third of the time. :(

This Mitsu crap is getting out of hand. Does anyone know how i should go about fighting this guy? His moveset is like personally tailored to mess up Viola. That 4B, even Astaroth's bullrush doesnt bother me as much as that 4B. My range is so bad that he can throw it out whenever he predicts a counter attack. If he uses it intelligently it becomes a move that i have to CONSTANTLY watch out for and i fear ever going for my usual counters. It limits me to 66B. Fighting this characters is such a head ache. It doesnt help that almost everyone in tournaments uses him, he's everywhere.

taffertier:
1) Step. I mean, really.
2) Use orb callback before applying standard pressure moves, won't cost you frames and will catch those pesky 4B's.
3) Use 66AAB mixup more ;)

My sparring buddy mains Mitsu (and has since SCI) so I feel pretty comfortable in that matchup. 4B doesn't seem to hold a candle against Viola's new and improved 66B (matches the range and *if* if steps out of range it seems to whiff on the TC). You could 4B+K it, but it sounds like he's reading you more than you're reading him. Since you already feel limited to 66B (is it really a bad option for you?) then take taffertier's suggestions and just step more. Seriously. Even 4A for a tech step if quick stepping isn't your cup of tea. But it should be.

Back