Viola General Matchup Discussion

Combine this with Funkexxmix's awesome Maxi and you get one of my personal hardest match-ups.
You shouldn't combine it with anyone.

Matchups are supposed to reflect what would happen if two absolute top level players playing their absolute best and knowing every last detail about their opponents character went against each other. Ie which character performs best at the top of the game, how and where.

You shouldn't combine it with anyone.

Matchups are supposed to reflect what would happen if two absolute top level players playing their absolute best and knowing every last detail about their opponents character went against each other. Ie which character performs best at the top of the game, how and where.
lol i know that...

i see why you might have gotten that impression but it is why i said "my personal match-up".
But that doesn't take away my two arguments before being valid on all maxi match-ups

Viola vs. NM has gotta be 7-3 in his favor.

That match up is so awful for her. It's bad enough that his revenge bubble shuts down like 80% of her movelist. But he's also got the range and pushback on block to make a lot of his "extremely unsafe" moves much safer when she's without her orb. Even with her orb she lacks the range most of the time.

I mean it certainly isnt unwinnable by any means, it's just really bad as far as match ups go.

That match up is so awful for her. It's bad enough that his revenge bubble shuts down like 80% of her movelist. But he's also got the range and pushback on block to make a lot of his "extremely unsafe" moves much safer when she's without her orb. Even with her orb she lacks the range most of the time.

I mean it certainly isnt unwinnable by any means, it's just really bad as far as match ups go.

A very terrible match up with Sieg/NM/Asty because they keep her right at the border of mid range where she can do nothing. Very frustrating to face Nightmares and Siegs because 90% of the time I know I'm a better player but I lose with Viola anyway. Then I'll switch to Pyrrha and slaughter them with basic mixups because they often have no character knowledge outside of NM/Sieg. The high low sword trip is also very popular coupled with high damage output. I also faced a guy who just turtled and waited till I did something so he could use the revenge bubble (which has bigger range than it puts on). He even said over mic "Oh, that's how you beat Viola." >.> Needless to say I switched to Pyrrha and punished the hell out of it effortlessly. -.-

I would say the most frustrating thing about Viola facing off with insanely ranged characters is that you are granted few, (if next to any) opportunities to punish NM/Sieg/Asty turtles because the closest Viola can get in between attacks is mid-range where she is useless and asking to be tripped/launched. And last, but not least is my frustration at the loss of easy grab ring outs. Most other characters I can use A+G > 9A+G or ring out with her kick or orb smash. Needless to say it is not wise to go for this since a Sieg/NM player can low grab ring out from either side. Poking seems safest, in between waiting for the trip and punishing with 44a BE.

A very terrible match up with Sieg/NM/Asty .

NM, yes. Sieg and Asty? Not so much.

Range itself isn't really a huuuge issue with her, and if you look for where she can punish, most the time she has the upper hand by far. (A lot of asty's better tools are 44A punishable, same with Sieg. 100+ damage punishes are huge.)
The problem with nightmare is his bubble along with his range and pushback and his godlike backstep. The bubble isn't even the biggest of problems here. You can bait him with a 6B+K, block bubble and punish hard. The real problem is he can bait a whiff with his backstep super easily which leads to good damage for him. Along with that, he likes standing in a range Viola doesn't operate too well in, and if he gets too close, his pushback helps. Viola's only real option is to back even further off and try to pressure with her orb, but his movement is good enough that she can't really do anything with that.

How does everyone think the Natsu match up is for Viola? Looking over Natsu's move set and it looks like she has a ton of moves with auto techs and side steps. I just fought one and it looked she was dodging a lot of my attacks with her own attacks. It looked like a lot of my highs would just go through her, so either she's auto teching or her built in side steps are powerful enough to get around a lot of Violas attacks.

I think it's probably slightly in Natsu's favor. She has more than enough tools to deal with Viola's stuff and, as you said, she can even kill momentum Viola gains in the hands of a smart player. The only saving grace in this match is, should the Natsu player choose to play more aggressively, they open themselves up to counterhits. But, going by tools alone, definitely in Natsu's favor...but as are quite a few of Viola's matchups.

Any advice on how to deal with good Astaroths? This one guy on XBL Lopedo is one of those Astaroths that love to attack but does it in an intelligent way. He's not particularly grab happy either, he just uses Asta's more evasive moves to get around my attacks. I've been trying to bait whiffs against him but it doesnt work all that well unless it's a short range move, when he whiffs his long range attacks i dont really have any punish options and he can go right into his next attack. And the risk / reward for JGing him is insane. If i get it right i can get a good punish in, but only if i'm in range. If i get i dont get it i wind up losing a quarter of my life

Learn to JG and attack smartly, I guess. This is LP. The only thing I worry about from Ast, really, is his edge/wall game. If he's spacing you, more than likely he's spamming stuff like 44a, a, and bullrush. Just pay more attention to his patterns, step up, and harass with 6B+K more. His only options to really shutdown b+k recall are also 22b (which hurts) and bullrush, so you can catch him stepping/attacking and remain relatively safe and close in on CH.

Learn to JG and attack smartly, I guess. This is LP. The only thing I worry about from Ast, really, is his edge/wall game. If he's spacing you, more than likely he's spamming stuff like 44a, a, and bullrush. Just pay more attention to his patterns, step up, and harass with 6B+K more. His only options to really shutdown b+k recall are also 22b (which hurts) and bullrush, so you can catch him stepping/attacking and remain relatively safe and close in on CH.

I guess i'll just have to try and see how he attacks. The moves he's using most are 22_88B, bullrush, 44A, and that one head butting attack that hits grounded. I suppose i just need to try and capitalize on my 6B+K set ups more. I cant afford to get him at range otherwise i'm playing right into his hands. Doesnt help that in spite of all these attacks he's still got those grabs that reach like a whole character space.

I like fighting Asty. You can auto-evade and punish pretty much all his widely used attacks. Works great when I remember to do it.

What does everyone think of the Algol match up? I like that Viola is able to match him in the spacing department due to her recalls being a good counter to his bubbles. But his "Shoryuken" Auto GI allow him to get around set ups that most characters would have to deal with. It makes using her 6B+K set ups more risky cause if there is a moment of freedom he can activate the attack and GI out of the set up while dealing some impressive damage.

I think Algol vs. Viola is pretty even...I actually worry more about his spacing tools more the the DP, though.

Also, after playing Keev in a ft10 after Anaheim...maybe the match is only 6-4; the Viola player has to take much more under consideration but it's not too hard. Hopefully, I'm not nervous the next time we meet. Also, FYI, 66A+B (+b) will beat just about every GS transition cleanly (the only problem is, without the orb, the second hit may whiff from further ranges). I did it once in the tournament but was far too shook to do it anymore.

Any tips on natsu?just any tips at all and some for ducking under hors and using 4b+K cause when I use it I typically don't have the timing right

Any tips on natsu?just any tips at all and some for ducking under hors and using 4b+K cause when I use it I typically don't have the timing right

I think that matchup is stupid. What specific questions?

Also...a 50th revision for me! Viola vs. Asta has to be 6-4 ....or maybe it's even and I'm just playing extremely well against every Ast...but I sux...so... XP

Back