Viola General Matchup Discussion

Okay, I need help fighting Z.W.E.I, you can go on and say how much he's a low tier character, but his Ein shenanigans fuck me over. Any tips?
Hello Im one of the zwei players u fought recently...Um all Ein attacks are + on block so remember that, Try to train to react to 1(B) so u can duck the second ein hit and punish him, if he does 4(A) into an unblockable setup with 214 B either interrupt him or sidestep him and punish. Against B+K BE unless u are in the corner a quick 2A or backstep defeats that setup,Finally if u stand up early to avoid the K from his 1(B) do not attack him right away. His Ein attack can still hit u for a nasty stun so it's best to duck then punish him( or wake up with a TC move) . Hope that helps.

Hello Im one of the zwei players u fought recently...Um all Ein attacks are + on block so remember that, Try to train to react to 1(B) so u can duck the second ein hit and punish him, if he does 4(A) into an unblockable setup with 214 B either interrupt him or sidestep him and punish. Against B+K BE unless u are in the corner a quick 2A or backstep defeats that setup,Finally if u stand up early to avoid the K from his 1(B) do not attack him right away. His Ein attack can still hit u for a nasty stun so it's best to duck then punish him( or wake up with a TC move) . Hope that helps.
Too kind! See you in GC!

After trolling online yesterday, I wondered if you all noticed Viola's fc 2k will downright go through quite a few characters. With that, though I didn't notice until it happened 30 thousand times while I played Keev, her grabs will plain whiff through NM (as will Natsu's, so I'm assuming that may have omething to do with his hitbox).

After trolling online yesterday, I wondered if you all noticed Viola's fc 2k will downright go through quite a few characters. With that, though I didn't notice until it happened 30 thousand times while I played Keev, her grabs will plain whiff through NM (as will Natsu's, so I'm assuming that may have omething to do with his hitbox).

I always thought it was her pitifully tiny grab range. If it is whiffing issues with characters that's something else that needs to be looked at in addition to her orb glitching out.

I haven't really noticed 2k missing and whiffing through people a lot, i just figured it was an alignment thing where the kick's hitbox was very specific and they were standing at an odd angle. It could be that it was actually going through them the whole time.

I always thought it was her pitifully tiny grab range. If it is whiffing issues with characters that's something else that needs to be looked at in addition to her orb glitching out.

I haven't really noticed 2k missing and whiffing through people a lot, i just figured it was an alignment thing where the kick's hitbox was very specific and they were standing at an odd angle. It could be that it was actually going through them the whole time.

I should still have the vids where I spammed 2k in my recent battles; I'll try to upload and save them

If you're bored with the match up I'll take who ever. But it's pretty obvious I need to play more Z.W.E.I. I can't read him at all yet.
Thats understandable since zwei is rarely even seen online, so u don't get to fight alot of them.

I'm going to pipe in with the hatred of Mitsurugi. I've always hated his character, and now he counters my main?! Maddening.

When I fight a good Mitsurugi, I'm caught between the twin horns of step and his :4::B:. Any move that counters one will have me eating high damage against the other. Throw in his dumbass low bullshit and his risk/reward is through the roof, while the hapless Viola player can only watch as their character is sliced brutally to ribbons. GOD I hate his boring ugly face.

So, I've found that when he uses :4::B:, our :8::A+B: will often be able to catch him, but that's basically the only anti-Mitsurugi tech I've found. The only other option is to just continue blocking until you can punish him, but go that route and he'll start kicking low, throwing and guard breaking. UGH, even thinking about it is annoying me. Mitsurugi can seriously go to hell.

Does anyone know what Viola can do to stop or discourage people from rolling backwards?

I found that at Ranbats, Krazie was rolling backwards whenever i knocked him down and went into my 6B+K pressure. It really made it overall less potent because i had to run up to him and it got him out of some of my mix ups.

If you knocked him down right in front of you (say, with ORB :8::A+B:) , you could try :1::A+B: and mix it up with :6::6::B:? This won't work as well, however, when you've used something like SET :8::A+B:, which knocks them further.

You could also try using :2::B+K: instead of :6::B+K:.

The only person I really hate fighting as Viola is Maxi. How do I interrupt him up close? All of his moves seem to auto-complete or auto-transition themselves. It feels like all I can do is block or sidestep left until the string ends.

As for Mitsu fights, I think a lot of people neglect Viola's ability to sidestep and call her orb back =) 22k, b... 22a, b... or even 22 b+k. Some other tips: when he does 4b (the pull back, lunge forward stab), you can also nick him with 44k (the one where she slides forward on her knees) if you time it well.

The only person I really hate fighting as Viola is Maxi. How do I interrupt him up close? All of his moves seem to auto-complete or auto-transition themselves. It feels like all I can do is block or sidestep left until the string ends.

As for Mitsu fights, I think a lot of people neglect Viola's ability to sidestep and call her orb back =) 22k, b... 22a, b... or even 22 b+k. Some other tips: when he does 4b (the pull back, lunge forward stab), you can also nick him with 44k (the one where she slides forward on her knees) if you time it well.

Maxi always gives me a ton of trouble. But i chalked that up to character inexperience, rather than him being legitimately good against Viola.

He just confuses me so much and whenever he's in his stances i dont know what i can do. Like it all looks the same to me. The only thing i can try to do is memorize all his moves and see what attacks lead into what.

Maxi and Viola seem pretty similar to me. They both start alot of their combos with AA or BB... but yeah, I feel that Maxi has a much better mid-low mixup game than Viola. Like I said, he just seems to auto-transition into his stances.

Another thing I forgot to mention about Viola vs Mitsu (and just in general): If you feel like sidestepping a vertical attack, try 33k or 99k. You'll follow up with the knee lunge and knock them down =) This also nice against low sweeps (lol Asteroth). Gotta make sure you're in range though.

He's confusing at first, but a lot of his show and bluster comes from lack of knowledge. If you know the matchups inside out, Viola's mid/low mixups easily trump Maxi.

I say this because I can play both characters well and have experience with both of them against a variety of opponents offline. Maxi is solid but Viola easily tops him in pressure mixups.

To me this is also a harder match-up but for other reasons:

1. she kind of lacks the fast punisher with decent range like alpha pats twister or the greek 236B which i could really use against Maxi.

2. His ability to attack reasonably fast from step at midrange (so out of 3A range) is also right in her weak point. Especially because its sometimes even TC so she cant use 66A...

Combine this with Funkexxmix's awesome Maxi and you get one of my personal hardest match-ups.

Back