Viola Matchup

Fame96

[08] Mercenary
Post patch I've been running into alot of viola. Any matchup advice will help greatly.

According to Destinizish, Nightmare is probably her worst matchup.

Use A+B but be careful you don't get baited. 22_88B also wrecks her hard. Duck orb recalls and punish with WR B.

Without the orb, 3AA is safe vs Viola at anything that isn't point blank range. You'll find when she's in damage mode, her punishing game becomes absolute rubbish, like worse than NM rubbish.

Maybe the issue is that I'm not using a±b. I never use that move and just prefer to use back/side step. Perhaps this matchup might encourage me more

The main problem is when she get going. When I keep her at long range I dominate but then the player decides to get in close range I'm pretty much screwed.

One word for you: Block :D

QS works well too.
I qs WAY more than I block. I don't like my punishment options when I block most moves so I block when I either don't have enough knowledge on the matchup, can't predict where to dodge, or I can't dodge at all.

I qs WAY more than I block. I don't like my punishment options when I block most moves so I block when I either don't have enough knowledge on the matchup, can't predict where to dodge, or I can't dodge at all.

I sometimes use a reactive passive defense. Let my opponent's pressure push me out then I take my huge backstep or QS.

Mixing up your opponent with defense works just as well as mixing up with offense.

Basicly when you don't know the matchup very well you have to relay on mind reading and mind fucking the opponent.

Not gonna lie, Viola fails usually against Nightmare. My advice would be to not give Viola the chance to get in your face because if you do you're most likely screwed if she does. When I try to go up to Nightmare I usually eat a JF agA. Try to keep your distance so she can't try anything. And when I lose to a Night they usually kept attacking and attacking me. Viola can't keep that much pressure if she's not in your face. That's my advice, I guess. :P Why am I helping you again?

Maybe the issue is that I'm not using a±b. I never use that move and just prefer to use back/side step. Perhaps this matchup might encourage me more

A+B is at least eight different kinds of hilarious in this match-up. It catches a HUGE amount of her moves. She's probably more vulnerable to it than any other character.

When she is in stance with the orb away, if you get hit by AA, dont try to crouch to avoid the return of the orb, you will get hit. It's still a few damage but well

I still don't use A+B because I'm still kinda in a SCIV mindset of it being trash. But yeah, I remember trying A+B in the Viola matchup once and it seriously wrecks shit up.

It depends how they play though. If they are using a lame 5 move Viola then A+B isn't going to be much use.

Back