Voldo Character Matchups Thread

Well personal opinions aside, if I'm not mistaken Ivy has always been a difficult match up for Voldo. I'm not too sure about some of the other ones. I have had some difficulties with Tira but that just goes along with not knowing her moves and setups as much as I want.

I'd normally use the notation, but I haven't learned the inputs for this move yet and I don't feel like turning on the system the figure it out so please excuse the profound lack of technical terminology that is about to follow.

Ok, so Taki's move where she does the double fist/pound ground explosions that launches you in the air followed by the spinning back flip grab/groundpound.

How on earth do you counter that? Perhaps I'm wrong but due to the flamey animation I'm assuming it's an unblockable and it seems to have a radius as I have never successfully sidestepped it.

How on earth do you counter that? Perhaps I'm wrong but due to the flamey animation I'm assuming it's an unblockable and it seems to have a radius as I have never successfully sidestepped it.

guard low. not unblockable ;)

or TJ or guard hop. your choice.

Seriously? Oh for the love of...

I thought any attack that had a red/orange flame animation was unblockable by default.

I thought any attack that had a red/orange flame animation was unblockable by default.

they are. but taki's double ground pound thing has a red/orange hit. no fire. such as in this vid -- chacha (tira) vs halister (taki)

check around 1:05. tira blocks low.

or is that not what you meant?

Oh, no, that is exactly what I meant. My "for the love of" comment was at myself for simply assuming it was unblockable and getting hit by it at least 10 times (while trying to figure out other ways to avoid it) online when I could have simply blocked it.

*laughs* I also never tried to guard jump it because my "logic" told me that since it was an explosion, that being a foot off the ground wouldn't let me dodge it (I figured if I couldn't side step it that the radius probably extended up as well as to the side).

Basically I'm just mad at myself for assuming without first being proven incorrect.

Thank you, by the way.

Anything that has a flaming windup is unblockable. The impact on the ground is kinda orange, but she's not flaming on the actual punch. She does have an unblockable single version but it's a bigger windup so you can see it coming a little better.

Keep in mind as well, that the second bomb is totally safe, so getting in the habit of hopping it to punish is a good thing. Good luck with this online, though. We can only really give advice for offline play, lol.

Tira is a pretty tough match for Voldo. Her updraft 7_8_9 B+K pretty much prevents any lockdown or mid range whiff games. Her WS K TJ's lows and is safe and her 6K TJ's lows too and is safe(both have great range). Her 66AA beats out alot of his mid range stuff and is good against BS mix ups, her 9K can lift him out of Mantis for full launch, and her pokes are as good a range or better than his.

Voldo has to play very conservative in an even-skilled match up vs a Tira player, in my humble imo.

cha cha

The good news about that is that there are still very few good Tiras lurking around. Although, they do seem to be rising in number...

Until recently, Mitsurugi was still one of my most evenly contested battles with Voldo. I've recently started winning the vast majority of my matches against him, but there are two or three moves that are still vexing me a bit, and wondering if anybody had any advice for Voldo-specfic counters.

I have a feeling the answer I'm gonna get is "you're screwed a little" because I often hear people complaining about the delays on even good connections online and using Mitsurugi as a perfect example, but here are the moves that seem to get me near everytime unless I was already blocking by chance.

Mitsu's 1A, 4B, and 2K,B really mess me up. I can never seem to react in time to block 1A or 2K,B and I find few of my moves have the reach to stop 4B in time, and I find it too quick, personally, to sidestep on reaction.

If I'm in Blindstance, 1A seems to stop 4B most of the time though sometimes (typically at the farther reaches of Mitsu's 4B) it seems to hit me in spite of the fact that Voldo is, seemingly, completely flat against the ground. Closer in it seems to go over me, though.

But 1A and 2K,B just nail me. And it's not as if I can just block low all the time, as we all know how much damage Mitsu can dish out with the high mids, but his lows are so freaking quick. And the fact that 1A also hits me when I'm knocked down is frustrating too.

It's gotten to the point where I'm winning far more against good/versatile Mitsu players than I do against players who just spam those three moves+BB and 66BB.

Another problem with Mitsurugi is that Voldo doesn't have great tech jump attacks to hop over 1A_2K either.

Just realize the range Mitsu has to be in to do these moves. Up close. Then just do your best to keep him out. Use quick attacks like 2A when he gets close and back him out.

Hmm, I don't really have a preference for any character thats hard to beat. If someones just generally good enough then they'll beat me. Mitsu can get me sometimes, but I've been getting pretty good at low blocking his sweep moves and it helps a lot.

For me I seem to have a hard time against Nightmare and Astaroth.

Tira, Mitsu, Taki, all fall prey to voldo because they dont have nearly as much range. They are closer matchups, but still in voldo's favour. 9B, or 66K act as really good tech jumps.

Asta and NM can push me out for days, and when I'm in, I'm still not safe enough. With these guys I'm either in or out, NO mid-range game.

Thats just against the people I've played.

Until recently, Mitsurugi was still one of my most evenly contested battles with Voldo. I've recently started winning the vast majority of my matches against him, but there are two or three moves that are still vexing me a bit, and wondering if anybody had any advice for Voldo-specfic counters.

I have a feeling the answer I'm gonna get is "you're screwed a little" because I often hear people complaining about the delays on even good connections online and using Mitsurugi as a perfect example, but here are the moves that seem to get me near everytime unless I was already blocking by chance.

Mitsu's 1A, 4B, and 2K,B really mess me up. I can never seem to react in time to block 1A or 2K,B and I find few of my moves have the reach to stop 4B in time, and I find it too quick, personally, to sidestep on reaction.

If I'm in Blindstance, 1A seems to stop 4B most of the time though sometimes (typically at the farther reaches of Mitsu's 4B) it seems to hit me in spite of the fact that Voldo is, seemingly, completely flat against the ground. Closer in it seems to go over me, though.

But 1A and 2K,B just nail me. And it's not as if I can just block low all the time, as we all know how much damage Mitsu can dish out with the high mids, but his lows are so freaking quick. And the fact that 1A also hits me when I'm knocked down is frustrating too.

It's gotten to the point where I'm winning far more against good/versatile Mitsu players than I do against players who just spam those three moves+BB and 66BB.

a useful tip might be to just set up practice mode to command training and have him constantly do those moves. keep in mind that 2K,B is punishable on block for mitsu. the more u practice blocking it the more u'll b able to punish it. u can punish with 3B,B or 1K for a good combo.

i agree with DINO on this one, NM and ast give me a hard time too. i also have a hard time with sophitia from time to time. dont know why but she's a beast in the right hands

Back