Voldo Matchup

hteng

[09] Warrior
aside from Natsu, i have a new bad matchup. This guy is so damn good when he's backturned. I'm having a hardtime pulling through when i get knocked down (the mindgames are just too much). BT 2A+B can't be block on reaction, even if you do react when he ducks, he might use a BT WR B instead, he also has a vicious grab from BT which steps a good amount (seems to evade all verticals), there's also this auto-GI move that GIs all verticals (aGI and stabs you in the eye!). then there's the crawl stance, which is just as bad as SC4 Lizardman's.

anyone have good experience in this matchup?

I had a lot of experience with this matchup in the last two games but none to speak of in SC5 yet. I added a link to this topic in the matchup reference thread in the Voldo section. Here's from my blurb about it in the matchup reference:

1A (goes to BS) - WR (B)
2A+B - WR (B)
BS 2A+B - FC 3B
CR A+B (236A+B) - FC 3B

Flapjack can catch him even if backturned unlike previous games.
If you block his CE he has options so I haven't found anything guaranteed. Might not be anything.

I had a lot of experience with this matchup in the last two games but none to speak of in SC5 yet. I added a link to this topic in the matchup reference thread in the Voldo section. Here's from my blurb about it in the matchup reference:

1A (goes to BS) - WR (B)
2A+B - WR (B)
BS 2A+B - FC 3B
CR A+B (236A+B) - FC 3B

Flapjack can catch him even if backturned unlike previous games.
If you block his CE he has options so I haven't found anything guaranteed. Might not be anything.

thanks for the info, would you suggest rolling or teching from his knockdowns? does he has many techtraps? really, the most trouble i have is getting back on my feet after a knockdown.

his akira shoulder move BE can't be stepped (33B BE? can't remember command sorry), already tested. you can GI the second part though.

I found in SC4, if you spaced Voldo, he has a very hard time getting in. If the same holds true in SC5, you should be ok.

Turns out BT voldo can tech out of the NSS A+B, 66b trap to either direction.

BT Voldo can also StepG and QS G just like it was SC4.

NM can a+b his 6B BE, but you should really just step or GI it.

After 3(b), Voldo's wr K will beat all of his options unless 3B is done at tip range.

If done at tip range, Voldo might try to FCA+B you. You can GS right under this or immediately bA. The immediate bA has tricky timing. You can just wait and react to FCA+B, and bA will step all the way around Voldo. Both of the bA timings are tricky, but reacting seems to be a bit smoother. Looks cooler, too.

After you block his CE, you can just tap 8 to dodge all his options, except MCHT A. It will beat MCHT A+B, too, but its harder to time. A wr K will trade with 66 and beat K, but will trigger b+k's super armor and lose to a+b.

There isn't really much fancy crap to this match. Its a test of NM's spacing ability and patience. NM has much better guard damage than voldo, so there's that.

And NSS A would be a better option after 3B tip range.

I forgot to mention NSS A. Haha

NSS A would be the safer option, granted voldo actually does FC3A+B or whatever. If he does nothing, then Voldo gets the advantage.

If you actually take the time and react to his FC3A+B, then you can stuff it with bA for better damage. If he does nothing, then you can react to that and enter GS for mixups. Its nerve racking and hella difficult to sit there and react to fc3a+b though, so defaulting to NSS A would probably feel more comfortable. Plus you would have NSS mixups if you choose to go into stance.

Eh, but comfort is for pussies. We're playing Nightmare, not Amy.

I forgot to mention NSS A. Haha

NSS A would be the safer option, granted voldo actually does FC3A+B or whatever. If he does nothing, then Voldo gets the advantage.

If you actually take the time and react to his FC3A+B, then you can stuff it with bA for better damage. If he does nothing, then you can react to that and enter GS for mixups. Its nerve racking and hella difficult to sit there and react to fc3a+b though, so defaulting to NSS A would probably feel more comfortable. Plus you would have NSS mixups if you choose to go into stance.

Eh, but comfort is for pussies. We're playing Nightmare, not Amy.
Maybe so but just sitting there in NSS would allow us to get in a CR A+B. While it may not seem like much as it leaves us -10 on hit it's a rather damaging low with RO properties

Back