Voldo Oki

vane505

[09] Warrior
How do you play when you have knocked down your opponent? I think it would be good to have a thread dedicated to this. Unfortunately I can't really contribute with much, because I'm quite new to Voldo.

What I use:

On 236A+B, K - Follow-up with BS B+K, wish for CH.
Knockdown when in BS: BB, 236B, WR B, A+G_B+G
Mainly: 236A+B Mixup, 66K, 236 A+G_B+G

Your biggest ally in normal stance is :2::A::+::B::2::3::6:(Calisto Rush):B: after knockdown. It does a ton of damage, and catches most opponents who try and roll around. From blind stance, :B::B:, :2::K:, and WR:B: are probably your best bets, though I find myself less effective in this stance for oki games.

I prefer 2A+B~CR K on wakeup over 2A+B~CR B. They're both not really safe on block, but if CR K is blocked you will take far less damage than you would if your CR B got blocked. Also, CR B leaves you at disadvantage on hit.

2A+B~CR K has some very good wakeups on hit or on block. If you roll towards your opponent, oftentimes you will go through attacks like BB which should hit you. I like to roll forwards and do BS G+A_G+B. If they start ducking that, you can do BS WR B into combos, or BS 4KA for absurd ringout or soul gauge damage. BS 4KA also has the same wakes as CR K. You can also get up with BS 6ABB if you think you will get a counterhit. BS 22_88B might also work, but it just feels far too slow to me.

If you're in BS and not on the ground, and you're looking for wakeups, your options are a lot more limited. BS 2K if you think they'll roll, BCR G+A_G+B if you think they'll tech backwards, BS 22_88K[K] if you think you can catch them with it right as they're standing. Sometimes a BS throw if you think they're going to get up swinging.

My main problem with Voldo's wakes is that his options from BS are far more limited in terms of pressure than his wakes from normal. If I know Kilik's going to get up from prone with his unblockable, for instance, I can hit him out of it with CR A+B. If I think my opponent is going to get up jumping anticipating a low, 2A+B~CR A+B is going to do a ton of damage. If my opponent gets up jumping or with Kilik's UB from prone while I'm in BS...I have far fewer options. BS A+B is the only thing I can think of, maybe BS B+K, and those still have far less range and do far less damage than what CR A+B would do.

2A+B~CR options can all be avoided with proper ground rolling, too. It's hard, but I've had it done to me, and on a consistent basis, by people who have lots of anti-Voldo practice. I think 2A+B~CR A+K into BS options is probably your best wake in that scenario.

Ive been messing with BT wakes a bit and heres what Ive been getting into. Like if people want to roll to their left all sorts of moves work but when they roll to their right its limited to 2K and 44B. Now 44 is a pretty booty move by itself but in this scenario its pretty boss because when you hit someone siderolling and go into MCFT if they try to wakeup attack MC 6A+K ruins them into combo damage and when they play dead or defend (IE most of the time) you tap 2_8 and drop a LF K on them or mixup with LF A+K both options setup more pressure on standing and grounded opponents because nobody wants to play dead and have voldo in LF right on top of them

Interesting BrewtusBibulus. Will try this out.

If my opponent is close when knocked down, I'm almost always using 2A+B Cancel_236 now on oki. It's to good, honestly one of the best oki-options in the game.

BT B+K is also really good after some moves, like 2A+B236K, while both of you are getting up. People get CH-hit by it quite often, and it does +100 damage.

I haven't had any success with BS 44 into MCFT. MCFT is very unsafe in general, I play against a number of people who like to use characters who have crouch throws. BS B+K counterhit fishing is something I've considered but haven't really messed around with too much. I imagine it would be useful after CR K and BS 44K because it tech jumps and many ground-hitting moves are lows.

My oki-list:

Normal Stance:
2A+B, CR B_K - IMO one of the best oki-moves in the game. Especially CR B.
1A
66K - Not to good. Use if I think I can hit them not lying down, but standing up. Very rollable.
1[K] - AWESOME move. Gets you in BS.

Blind Stance:
1[K]
FC B - Can RO well short range. Otherwise I prefer 1[K]
Throws - Situational. On oki, use the step-throws, not 66A+G.
2B+K, K - Great damage, gets you back in BS. You still have him on pressure. 2B+K is slow.
44K - Don't like this move to much. Releases your pressure.
1B - Rarely use this. He has much better IMO.
1A - Rarely use this. Unsafe low on oki is usually never a good idea. Situational, because of damage/KD. Evades so much also, which makes it kind of great against certain characters if you know their wakeup-game. NEVER to be abused.

This is my list, not to thought-trough. I mostly use 1[K] and 2A+B. In BS, I use 2B+K if they are lying down. Otherwise I usually mix-up with throws and 1B+K. 1A against certain characters and players, depending if they play defensively and what wake-up moves they got/use.

This should be discussed more. Voldos oki-game is truly powerful.

Back