Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

tXa has a Voldo traumatism. It's okay, don't listen to him.

Natsu really has some very annoying tools to deal with, mainly A+B and you can't punish 66B all range with 66B BE.
She also can A:6 punish 66B or 666B which is very annoying.

Yuttoto if you're here, enjoy.
I watched a lot of your vids back in the days and I stole a lot of stuff I do. Thank you for spreading the voldo love in japan. I need more youtube vids of you.
@crna_ruka please give him my message.

Forwarded this to Yuttoto. He's saying he is glad to hear it.

tXa has a Voldo traumatism. It's okay, don't listen to him.

Natsu really has some very annoying tools to deal with, mainly A+B and you can't punish 66B all range with 66B BE.
She also can A:6 punish 66B or 666B which is very annoying.
I know that her A:6 can punish it but he never seems to use it whenever he blocks my 66B. Perhaps I should tell him that it's better to use A:6 instead of AA for punishment. It would help him with the MU.

Well, french natsus do it so it's definitively possible.
But if you connect at tip range A:6 will only connect on first hit and you can punish her. So yeah. 66B good tool.
Basically against Voldo he should A+G throw when Voldo's in BT, and spam A+B. GL.

@crna_ruka thanks a lot !

iirc Natsu's A+B won't make Voldo face forward. It's -12 on block with little pushback so wouldn't his Blindtance A punish it for a small amount of damage?

iirc Natsu's A+B won't make Voldo face forward. It's -12 on block with little pushback so wouldn't his Blindtance A punish it for a small amount of damage?
Yes.

Whether one should do that depends on whether one prefers to deal 14 damage and get a front-turned followup at +6 or to deal no damage but end up +12 in blind stance. A BS 50/50 seems to average out to a higher reward but there’s a slightly higher risk (of BS 2A+B being blocked e.g.)

Last edited:
Yes.

Whether one should do that depends on whether one prefers to deal 14 damage and get a front-turned followup at +6 or to deal no damage but end up +12 in blind stance. A BS 50/50 seems to average out to a higher reward but there’s a slightly higher risk (of BS 2A+B being blocked e.g.)

Depends on the situation, mostly, I'd rather have my +6 adv. and 14dmg than have a setup where I can get my advantage turned against me with a JG or another random A+B or 8A.
Natsus don't block. They're stupid, like that, but it works.

Depends on the situation, mostly, I'd rather have my +6 adv. and 14dmg than have a setup where I can get my advantage turned against me with a JG or another random A+B or 8A.
Natsus don't block. They're stupid, like that, but it works.
Yeah I personally go with the BS A for a small tiny damage and a +6 advantage against Natsu. I don't think the +12 is worth the hassle, so I just avoid going there.

Well BS A is really good against Natsu but at close range you need to be aware of A:6 or AAB afterwards.

Depending on the Natsu player, I mostly iWS K, 2A or backdash guard against Natsu after BS A.

Finally got around to answering this...

2A is usually my go to thing after my BS A. Either that or just a regular AA.

The Natsu vs Voldo is pretty funny, you really need to learn the range of your tools and Natsus.

Here's my complete Voldo MU chart :

Voldo vs
- aPat : 4-6 (and 3-7 if aPat has a CE)
- Algol : 4-6
- Aeon : 6-4
- Astaroth : 6-4
- Cervantes : 4-6
- Dampierre : 6-4
- DJ : unknown
- Ezio : 6-4
- Hilde : 6-4
- Ivy : 6-4
- Leixia : 6-4
- Maxi : 6-4
- Mitsu : 5-5
- Natsu : 6-4
- Night : 6-4
- Patroklos : 5-5
- Pyrrha : 6-4
- OPyrra : 5-5
- Raphael : 6-4
- Sieg : 6-4
- Tira : 6-4
- Viola : 4-6
- Xiba : 6-4
- Yoshi : 6-4
- ZWEI : 6-4

So yeah, Voldo is a good char IMO. Only a few chars dominates him risk/reward and he has the tools to fight against the strongest characters.

It seems like they're either slightly in his favour, even, or just slightly in the opponents favour. No truly amazing matchups but no truly godawful matchups unless you count aPat with the meter. His matchup spread as a whole I'd say is good, more positive matchups than neutral or negative.

Voldo is one of those characters that most people love watching but dread fighting. Voldo is just godlike, to sum it up.

Well you could say he's a very complete character. There is always a domain he 'll be stronger than an other character and you'll be able to capitalize on that. He doesn't have a lot of weaknesses and the risk / reward is most of the time supidly low.

Voldo is a complete nightmare to fight against. The MU is stupidly hard to master.

Voldo has everything a well rounded character needs. Safety, range, punishment, decent damage, ROs, and of course mindgames. He's pretty much a solid character when you get him going. Any area that another character beats him in he can make up by beating them in one they lack as well.

A tier. That is all.

- Maxi : 6-4
Maxi has a pretty solid rushdown + containment game that I could see as being useful against a character like Voldo. I wouldn't expect him to be considerably worse than Mitsu in this regard. His guard damage and safety would also ameliorate the threat of things like BS stepguard in particular and defensive play in general.

Voldo doesn’t seem very well poised to counter a move like WR B+K either. He could block it (taking significant guard damage and being removed from BS by doing so), attempt to interrupt it with 2A (for low risk but low reward) or 3A (at risk of a 6A+B BE or CE punish), or attempt to evade it (which even characters with excellent movement struggle to do).

His best strategy would seem to be to keep Maxi at a range where the latter must rely on his slower (but still considerably strong) approaching attacks — moves like 66A, 66B+K, 33B, etc. — at risk of interruption or evasion by Voldo. But at that range it looks to be anybody’s game. Both characters do excellent damage and Maxi’s guard pressure can’t be discounted.

EDIT: After discussion in the chat, most of this doesn’t pan out in-game. WR B+K’s evasion is a non-threat to Voldo and most of the slow stuff is risky due to BSSJG.

Last edited:
Hi,
would like to know what is your game plan against Ivy ?
it s a nightmare for me against great Ivy.

Back