Vs. Yoda

ZeroEffect317

[13] Hero
I'm currently testing stuff out against Yoda finally. And I felt this deserved it's own thread because of how crazy this matchup is for Talim, at least strategically. I haven't tested out much on anti-Yoda as of yet, but what I can say is that Talim's combos, and RO pressure both suffer hard against him. I'm sure the limited combos thing applies to every character, but since Talim needs her CH combos to rack up damage and create mixups, this really becomes an issue.

Combos that won't work against him:
- 66A~6, AS A (66A is a high and whiffs overhead)
- CH 4BB (2nd B whiffs overhead)
- CH 11KA (Causes KND so the A *high* whiffs.)
- 236B, 66B, 2A+B/44B (236B doesn't launch high enough)
- 22B, AS B:K (AS B whiffs overhead)
(strangely 22B launches him higher than 236B even though 236B is made to be a super launch...)

- IWC (Range Dependent. If hit on an angle, or in close range it works. Farther out the 1st part doesn't fully connect, allowing Yoda to block the rest.)
- BT B, 3B[A]~2_8, WC B:B, AAB (staple BT B combo won't work. 3B hits but the A whiffs. Useful for tech traps I suppose. You must do 3B as early as possible or it whiffs)

Stance Combos that won't work:
- WL K, anything (Range Dependent, 2nd kick whiffs in close if 1st kick connects. No launch. No combo/RO/wallsplat. Nothing.)
- AS B+K~6, AS A+B (AS A+B whiffs overhead for the first hit.)
- AS A~2_8, WC AA (WC AA is a high and whiffs overhead)

Other notes:
- 11KA does work on NH, but it's range dependent. If 11K hits at far/tip range the A *high* whiffs. Otherwise this works.
- 33A on NH or CH always gives the shakeable stun effect against standing Yoda. Never knocks down.
- BT A will hit him standing even though it's a high. (Only whiffs at really close range)
- 44AA will hit him standing even though it's a high. (Thank God we have at least one of her fast options post-GI)

Notable Soul Crush Changes

Breaks in 4
4B (full charge)

Breaks in 5
6A+B
WC B*B

Breaks in 6
WC B:B

Breaks in 7
BT A (only whiffs at really close range)
11B
44B
22B (plus the second hit whiffs so you can still CF)
33B
66A+B
AS B+K

Breaks in 9
6B
4BB (non-charge)
FC 3BB (2nd part hits twice and might stop you from getting the CF)

Breaks in 10
4B

Also note that 44A, 1A, WC A+K, and FC 3B now break in 14 instead of 20

I will update this as more things are found. But if anyone else has any Yoda experience feel free to discuss.

it would seem to me that 6a+b would be extremely spammable seeing as he has no answer real for it

dus 22b6 AS a+b still tech trap off of oki?

6A+B is huge in this matchup from what I can tell so far. I think that Yoda can roll under it with 236K/236[K], but the player would have to anticipate both whether or not you do it, and if you cancel or not.

Something else I was trying out is 11B2~6 aka "fake Wind leap", and 11B2~6[B+K] for the double fake wind leap. It takes a chunk of his gauge away and moves Talim really far away from him if it works. Unfortunately, I think Yoda can hit her before jumping backwards with a timed A+K or 6B. I've gotten it to work a few times though against the CPU on EdgeMaster when they tried it though.

And no 22B6, AS A+B tech trap doesn't work. Not surprising really cause it barely works on anyone unless they tech forward. Including Astaroth.

236B's best combo damage in this match is 236B, 6A+B for 40-ish dmg. So it looks like this move is basically useless in this matchup. 22B is better for whiff punishing due to higher launch and combos. Post-GI using a delayed 44AA, 1K/2A+B will now do greater damage as the slow option. (It works as the fast option as well). You might be able to get 33B:6B as the slow option. Don't remember if the followups work on him.

I have to condition myself to not use 66A post-GI against Yoda.

Back