[WARNING!: Contains Spoilers] Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 5

This is a long copy paste from something I wrote on a similar board.

It really depends on if you're going to play it primarily on your own, or with a friend in the online co-op. In single player, Sheva acts as a double edged sword, as she is one of the most competent AI partners you will come across in next generation consoles, but at the same time, she goes through your ammunition like candy.

Some of her positives include having a fairly quick response time, and will resuscitate you nearly instantaneously should you be put into a "dying" state. Her aim is solid, and while she doesn't shoot at body parts specifically (whether to induce a melee, or save ammunition), she never seems to actually miss her target. Considering that you both have 9 item slots that you cannot upgrade, you can take away all ammunition she has and use her as a pack mule, effectively playing the game solo with a safety net to help out.

Her cons are noteworthy, though. In a game known for ammo conservation, she blows through any ammo given in a heartbeat. She can go through 50 or so pistol shots in the time it takes you to carefully use 10, depriving you of precious ammunition. She is less apt to know when to pull out a crowd controlling weapon such as a shotgun when there is a large group, making her slightly more susceptible to damage. If you do take the option to make her a packmule, you must listen to her scream "Give me ammo!" every thirty seconds or so, which gets very old, very fast.

The game is beautifully rendered, and the amount of interaction you can have with the environment is greater than most RE games. Still, being capable of shooting down generators in clutch scenarios, but not being able to slice your way through invincible blades of grass to a vantage point seems lazy. It's a definite take off from RE4, where every part of the game was slightly scary, since you were alone in dark areas fending for yourself. Contrast this to RE5, where harsh outside lighting abounds, and Sheva (or your online partner) always feels like a safety net, demolishing a lot of the "survival horror" part of the game.

As much as I've picked at all the flaws in the game, it's still a very worthwhile purchase, and online mercenaries is incredibly entertaining, which is the only part of the game where you feel incredibly frantic and near death constantly.

tl;dr version - Sheva is useful, even if she is a pain in the ass, the graphics are astonishing, the gameplay is tight, and online is a blast. Worth the $60.

A few addendums, though. The game is VERY short, you can probably beat the whole game on the default difficulty setting in about 15 hours. Whether it's worth a purchase to you now depends on whether or not you are willing to replay it on the higher difficulties or if you have a friend that enjoys co-op Mercenaries/story mode. They are adding in Versus modes, but I'm not quite sure the viability on something like that (over the shoulder FPS with no run-and-gun?).

Resident Evil 5

After playing with AI Sheva thus far, she is indeed my walking talking backpack turret.

Freeing up space for more ammo and weapons on my end is nice. I do share Ammo at quiet moments but I then demand my ammo back. XD.

I am her ammo cache, she is my extra lives.

Resident Evil 5

holy geez this game is good

Yeah, I noticed the samething lobo.

I come home from work, its nice to have something Single Player to munch on.

...Fucking Sheva, pussy'n around with the Lickers *mad*

That AI has killed me 7 times in my Journey. Im now on 5-2. Most likely will finish the game tomorrow morning then look out Mercs. Mode... IMMA COMIN!

Resident Evil 5

AI Sheva is a bag of crap, from playing co-op and going back to sheva i totally hate her "Dryhump Chris' Leg" mentality. Plus she burns through ammo, it's hard to be as tactical as it could be if she just follows you around all day. Especially bosses who involve hitting from both sides... not happening. Plus she NEVER uses her knife.

Resident Evil 5

Mercenaries mode is a lot of fun. If Krit would hurry up an get the game / beat it we would tear that shit up for some POINTS.

Resident Evil 5

i havent played re5 or any re game. that said, all the reviews have said that the controls feel clunky unless you are a re vet. however, the visuals i have seen in reviews are excellent, i am torn between my love of graphics and my dislike of awkward controls...

btw, i recently plugged in my copy of deadspace and i strongly reccomend it to any re fans. it's design is heavily modeled off of re4 according to the developers, and i can attest to its quality. it is the first EA developed product i can remember being polished and complete before it's launch (a fact that leads me to believe that EA didnt actually make it but ninja'ed it from someone else to try and disguise their endless mediocrity). anyways, it won plenty of awards and it is in the same genre as the RE series. and i liked it, i'd have given it a solid 8.5 out of 10.

Resident Evil 5

AI Sheva is a bag of crap, from playing co-op and going back to sheva i totally hate her "Dryhump Chris' Leg" mentality. Plus she burns through ammo, it's hard to be as tactical as it could be if she just follows you around all day. Especially bosses who involve hitting from both sides... not happening. Plus she NEVER uses her knife.
That's what online Co-Op is for. :3
PS - be sure to thank Sheva if you request her for items,she saves you while you're Dying,and when she gets Maijins off of you,cause if not,then she wont help you at all.

I personally ADORE this game,I can't believe on what a master piece it has become to be. I was looking at the "Behind the Scenes" disk this morning,and the directors said that if people think that it ends here with RE5,then they're sadly mistaken. I cannot wait to see what they got up their sleeves! :D
Do us proud Capcom!!! X3

Resident Evil 5

You you press b she will come to you... abuse the hell out of that. Managed to beat the game solo with the use of that button.

Resident Evil 5

I played a bit today with Andy and Loren. I still wanna replay the game co-op with people.
I got to the end of chapter 3. (Kinda skipped 2 and had to go back and beat all but the last mission.) But yeah I should be finished with it SOMETIME. I want my xbox back. :<

Back