Was Olcadan banned in US tourneys?

I_N

[08] Mercenary
Yes, I know it's a somewhat weird (and, truth be said, a totally pointless) question ;) I'm just curious. I mean, both technically and practically, picking Olcadan is not synonymous with 'picking random'. It's closer to 'having an opportunity to pick random every round', I guess.

The opponent has one round, and one round only (Olcadan can be the same char 2+ times in a row, but it's an extremely rare occurrence: personally, I've seen it once or twice, and I have literally years of experience fighting versus Olcadan :)), to adapt to Olcadan player tactics/playstyle. Of course, an Olcadan player is forced to adapt to his char in the first place, but, in fact, there are players that can pull it off quite easily. It's not a problem, mind you. Just a slightly unusual situation for a tourney. Round-based random has a potential of being psychologically devastating to the opponent, provided the hypothetical Olcadan player himself is a highly versatile/adaptable type (well, otherwise, why would one pick Olcadan at all?).
Additionally, there is a minor technical detail concerning Olcadan versions of Asta and Rock: in these cases, the hitbox margin is harder to appraise precisely for the opponent as a result of Olcadan's, eh, obviously humbler dimensions. It may sound stupid, but it's a fact :) Plus, the animation is slightly (very slightly) different for a number of moves (Asta's 22_88B, for instance). Still, may prove significant sometimes. No speculations here, just a whole lot of (annoying) experience fighting this bastard :)

I can't see how it would be a problem. If you are confident enough in being able and skilled enough to play all of the characters at a tourny-level, then all power to you. Besides, you are also taking the risk of getting a character that you don't play as well or that has a horrible match-up to your opponent. It also gives you less time to train your opponent into thinking that you have a pattern with a particular character.

I agree. Wholeheartedly :) That said, my original question was: 'Was Olcadan banned in US tourneys?'. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject, of course, so don't take any offense, please.

sometimes he was banned sometimes he wasn't iirc. it wasn't really argued about because for the most part no one cared

I found it annoying that the game had to load inbetween rounds if olcadan was being played, but that's just a minor annoyance really

I see. Thanks for the information. No one cared mainly because no one believed someone could seriously consider playing him, I guess... Well, that's reasonable.

Exactly. At least, from what I've heard from Belial and others.

Back