Was SCIV a failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artilust

[10] Knight
Since Tekken 6 came out, I havent looked back. And to think I dropped Tekken in 99 for this series. I think with each addition to the series the system has become more and more watered down and Namco's SC division flat out shits on us.

When Tekken 6 came out in October and the netcode was TRASH, the community went apeshit and we got a patch that fixed online tenfold. By DECEMBER, mind you. Meanwhile, a 5 bar connection in SC4 still isnt as good as the best 2 bar connection in Tekken 6. Bitching for what seems like a little over a year now.

There are so many things wrong with this game when you revisit it after playing top notch 3d like Tekken/VF that it blows my mind that

-The idea of step is destroyed by moves that should track and dont, and moves that shouldnt track that DO. Horizontal mids can be stepped.
-Moves have an absurdly large amount of properties that randomize matchups and make for scrub button mashing ie: (tech high, guard crush, fast startup, +frames, CF gauge etc etc)
-Tiers are skewered. Low tier has 0 options against S tier.
-No reward for defense. Turtles lose faster. Bulldogging is the primary form of aggression. (in a FIGHTING game?) lol @ Talim vs Sets

Im surprised I played SCIV as long as I did. These forums are decaying. SCIV is starting to be omitted at tourneys. Broken Destiny is still only on that stupid pink Hannah Montanna PSP.

I check on my friends list and see people still play this game religiously. For what? Why be good in a game that the community and even the developers have turned their back on? At least SC4 lasted longer than SC3, but between Street Fighter 4, Blazblue and Tekken 6 this game is literally dead and burried.

In what respect is Soul Calibur 4 a success? Because I unfortunately have come to the conclusion that the game I used to love more and anything is pretty much damaged beyond repair.

you know what Art? YOU'RE THE FAILURE

This topic should be locked. Art is just trolling and almost everything he said in his post was wrong.

I play offline quite a bit. lol.

What would I get out of trolling? I havent posted on this forum in damn near 6 months. Coming back here just to troll is beneath me.

This community was always filled with a bunch of crybabies.

I asked a question, but it was a bit malicious I admit because I already know the answer. Yes. Soul Calibur is dead. The community is dead. The game gets no support from other communities. I was just wondering why people still play it. Why people support the series and when the creators dont seem to be listening.

If Im trolling. You just keep waiting for Broken Destiny to come out on console. lol

Well see I dont think Soul Calibur sucks. I think the evolution of Soul Calibur sucks. I'll shit myself the day SC2 is ported to PSN/Live.

I have a feeling this will be twisted quite a bit by the time its all said and done.

Like the way that moderator edited my posts when I said Hilde's re-launch doom combo should be banned in tournament play.

What exactly am I failing at? I've converted back to a flourishing community thats active and Im not FORCED to play a shitty online version that Namco could care less about. Because I dont stay in California or France where its apparently on fire. Lol.

Where is this failure?

Is Soul Calibur 4 a flop? Where was everyone at during Evo? Is my coffee too strong for this message board?

I play offline quite a bit. lol.

What would I get out of trolling? I havent posted on this forum in damn near 6 months. Coming back here just to troll is beneath me.

This community was always filled with a bunch of crybabies.

I asked a question, but it was a bit malicious I admit because I already know the answer. Yes. Soul Calibur is dead. The community is dead. The game gets no support from other communities. I was just wondering why people still play it. Why people support the series and when the creators dont seem to be listening.

If Im trolling. You just keep waiting for Broken Destiny to come out on console. lol

EDIT: And yes I play a lot of online Soul Calibur. Because nobody plays it offline. Rotfl.

So making completely incorrect statements about a game, saying it sucks, and posting it in a forum about it is not trolling?

Alright.

You say stuff tracks in SC that shouldn't- OK, I see your point.

You list Tekken as better but call this a con- WTF? Tekken has a bunch of random shit that tracks for no reason.

You call move properties which exist in all fighting games (+frames, techs, quick startup) and list them as cons. Then say people can button mash because of these. Uh, wut?

You say tiers are skewed and Low can never beat high. Tell that to the time OOF won a tourney with yoda, or any time Talim won a match.

Then you make possibly the most LOL-worthy statement of your whole post. Aggression > Defense in SC4? You have to be joking. If anything, this shows just how completely inept you are at the game. Maybe this happens online when people get around 10 frames added to their stuff, but what the hell are you talking about in an offline setting?

Honestly Arti, you based something completely on your experience in a shitty online setting. You obviously play tekken online now. I can't wait till you start getting hit by all of it's "that shouldn't track" moves.

Well see I dont think Soul Calibur sucks. I think the evolution of Soul Calibur sucks. I'll shit myself the day SC2 is ported to PSN/Live.

I have a feeling this will be twisted quite a bit by the time its all said and done.

Like the way that moderator edited my posts when I said Hilde's re-launch doom combo should be banned in tournament play.

cry about it

FACT: You are posting on a Soul Calibur forum that is frequented by people who enjoy SC to one extent or another.
This fact nullifies your "SC failed" and "SC is dead" arguments because it's a 1 1/2 year old game that people sill play both online and off.

But where at? Because they dont play Soul Calibur in North Carolina. And we are right between ATL, VA, DC and NY. So what they play should be absorbed by osmosis.

Where did I say Tekken is a better game? I said SC is on the decline.

Maybe some of what I said was opinion. But my thing is, aside for you guys, who else has faith in the series?

But continue to turn this into a "Artilust only plays online." Like I havent been going to gatherings since the early 2000s. You can check the match finder forums on TZ if you are that pressed about it.

This is a crying shame.

If you think Tekken's better, why are you here if not to incite a flame war? Seems like a huge waste of time that you could be spent playing Tekken. They're both awesome games.

Artilust always had complaints about the game online. And I guess in a way he wanted the game to be something it wasn't.

If you want to know why we play SC4 still or why there so many fucking scrubs constantly playing this game online despite how old it is, it's because the game is fun.

Yeah he have had our problems with Hilde, lost a good amount of players to other games, and the economy is kicking our ass. But the game is still great...Yes it's watered down, yes it isn't perfect, but I can easily make an argument of why it's better than everything else out there.

People play tekken because they have always played tekken, Tekken is for old people anyway. Otherwise the game sold like ape shit.

Hell the reason people don't play SC is because SC1 came out on the Dreamcast instead of the PS1.

As far as the decline of offline, I blame our inability to get rid of Hilde. I can't really ignore what happened in ATL. Even SC3 was way better than this offline. However, offline doesn't really tell the tale, people play this game, Namco just has to stop sucking or maybe we just need to get our shit together as a community.

But I didnt say Tekken was a better game stupid.

I dont even care anymore. Soul Calibur 4 is the most popular fighting game ever. It completely outshadowed SFIV last year. They have the most players. The best community. The game is flawless. Its always the grand prize game at tourneys. Its so loveable and nobody wants Namco to change a thing about any of it.

Thats what I really meant to say.

I was really doomed from the start here. Like I really wanted to just come here and bash Soul Calibur for no reason at all. I could have just shitted on this game over at SRK where everyone would agree if I was that hungry for attention.

I fucking love the Soul series. And Soul Calibur fucking sucks now. And if any of you cared like I cared and bitched maybe we would have got a little more of what we asked for. Clearly it works for Tekken and Street Fighter, both of which are miles ahead of the Calibur community. But no, everyone here is in some fantasy world where Soul Calibur 4 is immune to all kinds of critism. Except, Kingace. And ironically enough, the longevity of the game is a direct reflection of that.

This is funny to me.

Hint: No one really wants BD to come out on PS3.

Also, Soul Calibur IV has its problems. But so does tekken. I've seen more retarded hit-box BS in Tekken than I have in Soul Calibur. Each (fighting) game has a different focus. Lets compare, your personal favorite, tekken.

Tekken 5, not extremely juggle oriented. Atleast not to the point where you will see infinite carry's, or 0 to death combo's that drag you to a wall from full screen, or hey...0 to death rage-specific combo's like you'll see in Tekken 6. So in a way, you get rewarded from A) Pit-Bull esque aggression during a match AND B) Getting your ass whooped because hey, you're just gonna get put into rage mode. The closest thing to rage that Soul Calibur has is the critical finish engine, and that only works against opponents who are going to be dumb enough to allow you to get it.

Now, all these things said, i'm not delusional by any means so i'm not going to pretend like Soul Calibur doesn't have its problems, but definately not to the degree you're trying to say it does. I mean, and take this however you want, but the problems you listed sound more like.

"I never bothered to learn how to deal with these things and they're annoying, so apparently its Namco's fault and this game is bad and THAT is why I don't play it. " It just sounds like a bunch of whining to me. Maybe playing SF has changed my outlook on what is "cheap" and I just can't relate to what you're saying, but uh. Cry a river.

Also, you may not have done it on purpose. But subconciously, you came here to troll. You came to a SOUL CALIBUR website, to complain about how bad SOUL CALIBUR is and then proceeded to call the websites community a bunch of "cry babies." Thats flame-bait, even if you don't know you're doing it. Sorry bud.

So going to tekken and "not looking back" since it came out isn't implying you think tekken is better? Oh, and if you want a game community, go to SF. No other fighting game is really going to top its competitive community.

I'm not saying SC4 is immune to criticism, but your criticism is beyond ridiculous. All of it is opinion based or just complete moon logic.

And if you play SC4 offline so much Arti, why did nobody EVER see you at any offline tourneys, that yes, did happen in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back