What makes your favorite Soul Calibur fun for you?

Futabot

[10] Knight
In general, what makes you want to play this game over other fighting games?

I actually don't know why I like it so much. For me, this game is so deeply ingrained in nostalgia that I just unconditionally like how it plays.

I've tried to quantify it a lot in the past.

I think it comes down to the movement being very fluid and that most attacks move you in some way as well, so you can attack and advance at the same time, or attack and evade, etc.
I also love how there's usually a better defense option than blocking, so if you're guessing perfectly, you never have to sit and block and lose momentum.
One of the only times I've felt a similar flow was using Juri in SFIV, with her counters and neutral jump shenanigans (all of which they removed from her in SFV of course).

I've tried to understand and recreate the feeling in a 2D fighter with a project I was doing for MUGEN, but unfortunately I moved on before I could finish all of the artwork for him.

Last edited:
I like the characters.

The girls are sexy.

The men are powerful and fun.

Talim is kawaii. :P

There are no other 3d weapon based fighting games, and I enjoy that element of Soul Calibur. I also like the feel of the game, it revs me up!

I also enjoy spending tons of hours doing create a character, and look forwards to online matches and playing with my local friends.

<strike> The titties </strike>

i kinda feel ashamed sometimes cause i don't play many other games but its so addictive i just can't stop. the gorgeous music & backgrounds, the amount of content in sc3, the speed and customization in 5, the richness of the lore, just...everything

I like it mostly for the fact it was a fighting game that I felt was rather easy to get into. Not to mention the vast array of fighting styles, stage layouts, and character designs that made me appreciate the series more.

Unique characters, different weapons, great stages, ring outs, beautiful outfits, 8 way run, fast gameplay, stances, Weapon Master Mode, the colours are right (in Tekken are terrible imo), timeline (XVI century), and the 2 most important things - nostalgia (Soul Edge) and unbelievable atmosphere.

Back