Which Character(s) Do You Think is/are Overrated/Underrated?

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
I think the award for the most underrated character in Soul Series has to go to Aeon Calcos (A.K.A. Lizardman).

I find his story to very interesting. Like Sophitia, he was one of the Holy Warriors chosen by Hephaestus to destroy Soul Edge (hence the similarities in their fighting styles). After falling under the influence of the Evil Seed, he was captured by Fygul Cestemus and was transformed in a Lizardman.

He was ordered by the to cult kidnap Bangoo in order lure Rock so they could use him to create Astaroth.

When Soul Edge was shattered before the events of the Soul Calibur III, he was able to regain his consciousness, but he is still in Lizard form... Aeon feels that his God has forsaken him in time of need, so he casts aside the holy weapons (sword and shield) given to him and takes up new ones (axe and shield), vowing to find Soul Edge so he could destroy the God of Forgery with it.

As time passed, he keeps losing more and more of his humanity, giving in to beastly instincts... He decided he just wanted his soul back from Soul Edge.

Since he has no luck finding Soul Edge (since Siegfried destroyed it), Ares, The God of War, stuck his hand out and gave Aeon the ability to transform and regain his human nature by devouring his enemies.

I feel that he has one of the most interesting and tragic stories in the Soul Series. By Soul Calibur V, he has been stuck in this lizard form for 24 years...

It is a shame that Soul Calibur III an IV treated this character like he was a joke. V treated him better by taking more seriously by calling him by his real name and giving him the ability to sprout wings and breathe fire. Given his story and that his new fighting-style resembles Kratos' from Broken Destiny , this heavily implies that Aeon killed and ate Kratos and took his powers! If that doesn't give him some serious badass points, I don't know what does.

I didn't like how Lizardman was called "Aeon" in SCV. I always thought the name "Lizardman" was part of his charm, cuz he's "THE LIZARDMAN!".

Anyways, I would say the most underrated character is Hwang. Even Project Soul has apparently forgotten about him.

I'm glad Lizardman now uses his real name because lizardman is too generic. I also think Hwang is to damn underrated, not by fans(He have a serious fan base) but like nyte say, by the own project soul.

I'm glad Lizardman now uses his real name because lizardman is too generic. I also think Hwang is to damn underrated, not by fans(He have a serious fan base) but like nyte say, by the own project soul.
Besides, there is more than one Lizardman.

tumblr_mhgzs8kYd51rvv3hpo2_1280.png

i'm gonna get shit for this but tbh i find sophitia overrated, both by the devs and fans. i don't hate her, just find her boring and marysue-ish. idk what she's done to be so special and considered this ~legendary warrior~, i actually think taki deserves more credit when it comes to getting shit done pre sc2.

really, near every other character has actually trained for their fighting experience, sophitia is just a random who had power handed to her by gods. out here competing with helen lovejoy for how many times she can mention "THE CHILDREENNN!!!" she's just so meh to me, even her fighting style is bland. the only time i ever found her cool is in sc3 when she clapbacked tira for calling her a shitty parent. cassandra might not be as graceful/pretty but she's way more fun and has more personality.

tumblr_mhgzs8kYd51rvv3hpo2_1280.png

i'm gonna get shit for this but tbh i find sophitia overrated, both by the devs and fans. i don't hate her, just find her boring and marysue-ish. idk what she's done to be so special and considered this ~legendary warrior~, i actually think taki deserves more credit when it comes to getting shit done pre sc2.

really, near every other character has actually trained for their fighting experience, sophitia is just a random who had power handed to her by gods. out here competing with helen lovejoy for how many times she can mention "THE CHILDREENNN!!!" she's just so meh to me, even her fighting style is bland. the only time i ever found her cool is in sc3 when she clapbacked tira for calling her a shitty parent. cassandra might not be as graceful/pretty but she's way more fun and has more personality.

I actually like playing as Sophitia, but from a story standpoint I completely understand where you are coming from...

Most overrated I'd say? Mitsurugi. He's not a bad character by any means, in fact he's quite a badass. But that's the thing, his baddassery is the only thing that defines him. He has no role in the story, he's just a guy with sword looking for the next challenge. His rivalry with Taki could've been interesting, but at the end of the day it doesn't do much and Taki is much more relevant than him. Yet, he's a mainstay who will always be in every game, which kinda of pissed me off in SCV.

If Taki, who is much more relevant to the story, had to be replaced by some anime rip-off for being "too old" at 46, why does Mitsurugi get to stay? It's stated there's a young man claiming to be his brother, why not make him into character and have him replace Mitsu? Certainly Mitsu can't be in the best shape of his life after his age and injuries have taken their toll. I wouldn't have liked it, but it would've been fair.

If Taki, who is much more relevant to the story, had to be replaced by some anime rip-off for being "too old" at 46, why does Mitsurugi get to stay?
Because Daishi is sexist.
46 is too old....bitch please:
article-2632263-1DFD610A00000578-42_306x423.jpg

demi-moore-upfronts.jpg

EVA-MENDES-THIERRY-MUGLER.jpg

o-MARIAH-CAREY-BEAUTIFUL-facebook.jpg

rs_634x1024-140825170319-634.Sofia-Vergara-Emmy-Aeards.082514.jpg

rtr29065_0.jpg
Ages from 41 to 52.

I think Nightmare's too overrated in SCV movewise, at least. When I first started playing SCV, he beat the hell outta me in easy arcade. His CE does a sick guard impact which I still have troubles besting. When you're on the ground, he does that sick red "bubble" attack. Over all, I think Nightmare is pretty sick. But that may be because he after all is the ultimate villain?

I think Nightmare's too overrated in SCV movewise, at least. When I first started playing SCV, he beat the hell outta me in easy arcade. His CE does a sick guard impact which I still have troubles besting. When you're on the ground, he does that sick red "bubble" attack. Over all, I think Nightmare is pretty sick. But that may be because he after all is the ultimate villain?
Well, he use to be the ultimate villian, but now in SCV:
the_awesome_graf_dumas_by_ewder-d4xahpu.jpg
Most overrated I'd say? Mitsurugi. He's not a bad character by any means, in fact he's quite a badass. But that's the thing, his baddassery is the only thing that defines him. He has no role in the story, he's just a guy with sword looking for the next challenge. His rivalry with Taki could've been interesting, but at the end of the day it doesn't do much and Taki is much more relevant than him. Yet, he's a mainstay who will always be in every game, which kinda of pissed me off in SCV.

If Taki, who is much more relevant to the story, had to be replaced by some anime rip-off for being "too old" at 46, why does Mitsurugi get to stay? It's stated there's a young man claiming to be his brother, why not make him into character and have him replace Mitsu? Certainly Mitsu can't be in the best shape of his life after his age and injuries have taken their toll. I wouldn't have liked it, but it would've been fair.
I totally agree with this. It's true that he is kinda a badass, but all he have been doing for all the games is looking for a worthy opponent. I want him to stay, but it's time to look for others goals.

Last edited:
Well, he use to be the ultimate villian, but now in SCV:
the_awesome_graf_dumas_by_ewder-d4xahpu.jpg

I totally agree with this. It's true that he is kinda a badass, but all he have been doing for all the games is looking for a worthy opponent. I want him to stay, but it's time to look for others goals.
Haha, that comic is pretty funny. No wonder Tira hates the new Nightmare compared to the old one. Also, nice to see we agree on this.

It is a shame that Soul Calibur III an IV treated this character like he was a joke. V treated him better by taking more seriously by calling him by his real name and giving him the ability to sprout wings and breathe fire. Given his story and that his new fighting-style resembles Kratos' from Broken Destiny , this heavily implies that Aeon killed and ate Kratos and took his powers! If that doesn't give him some serious badass points, I don't know what does.

I do think Aeon is one of the most underrated characters, but whoaaaaaa there. Just because they didn't use his real name doesn't mean they treated him like a joke.

I'd argue that SoulCalibur III was the last time they gave any sort of a damn about his story/character. He was a mindless servant in SoulCalibur I (that's okay though, that was part of the setup). Then in SoulCalibur III he regains his consciousness and can act as his own person once more. He's understandably angry with Hephaestus (who is kind of a douche, all things considered), and wants revenge, but what I really like is that at the end of his Tales of Souls is that he can choose either Soul Edge or Soul Calibur.

Then SCIV rolled around and stalled his character in the mud. He's a mindless beast (which is a step below mindless servant) and has to get his Soul because... uh... excuse plot 'cause he needs to be a bad guy.

Then SCV rolled around, and spit on any hopes I had for the character by giving him the dumbest fucking pile of story I've ever read in the entire series, and that's saying something. He isn't a mindless beast, but then he is, but then he hears a "voice" and then he eats people and gets powers, and now he has to eat holy warriors... because... uh... excuse plot 'cause he needs to be a bad guy and we need to explain why we pawned off Kratos's moveset onto him. Also 17 years passed and I guess he was doing stuff?

So much squandered potential. They keep just falling back on the bland ass monster tropes. Aeon Calcos wasn't a bad guy before the evil seed thing happened and he went crazy. When his mind was freed of that, he wasn't a bad guy either. So why do they keep writing these shitty excuse plots to make him a generic mook bad guy? Why even bring THE Lizardman back if they're just going to turn his character into any number of the Soul Calibur II lizardmen?

I'll tell you why: because the series directors have no damn respect for the character. And why don't they have any respect? Because he isn't....

hgggghhh....

because he isn't good-looking!

Life is so unfair.

Well suppose that I'm speaking from the perspective of those same directors who don't want any playable women who are older than their mid-30s in fighting games because they are "too old" despite the myriad of women both strong and attractive that fall within that range. I mean, if that's the case, then how can the more homely lizard man expect to get by?

Back