Whip State Tips

dittO

[09] Warrior
Just a similar thread (like the one for SW) but for Whip State.

WP 3
Well, I guess we all love the frame trap of this move and the mix-ups into SE. Not to mention oki. Definitely one the "musts" in WP.

WP 3A
Bread and butter for sidestep catching. Of course knowing its maximum range, works incredibly better.

WP 2B
Nice ranged quick vertical. On hit (and preferably not too close to opponent) can create nice mix-up opportunities (WP WSA, WP FC3B, WP WSB_BB).

WP WSA
Nice range, sidestep catch (Sometimes it gives me the impression that for a very small window, this move has anti-mid properties. Has anyone else noticed that rare effect? Or is it just me?)

WP FC3B
Ok, a very far low hit. We all know it has it's uses (especially on mix-up) but do not overuse it.

WP WSB or WP WSBB
tbh, when i first played this game, I never thought that this move could be actually useful. Mixing this with WP FC3B (NOT very close of course) is one hell-of-a-combination. Of course the hard part, is hit-confirming the 2nd B (whiffed or blocked can be deadly). Also sometimes nice to use on wake-up. And finally can be used for a very good back RO (WP WSBB+K, CL 236BB). I can definitely say that I'm the number one WP WSBB fan! (ok, I may exaggerate a bit, but I'm always very carefull when to use this. The WP FC3B mix-up combined with the back RO, is one of those times). And don't forget oki-wise.

WP 1A
Nice ranged low hit. Once again knowing its range can be usefull to cheap away small amounts of damage whenever the opponent gets further enough for you to be safe. Nice oki.

WP 6bA+B
Flashy but should be used situationally. Mixing it with WP 6B can sometimes interrupt dangerous rush-in moves of opponent. Also knowing it's range well, it can be a nice keep-away tool (meaning: throw it, even If blocked). Not very important, but mentioning it anyway: After WP 1K on hit, very fast wakers may get interrupted by this. Also If they decide to block, they are in the perfect distance to be sent far away by this move.

Of course kicks such as: WP 4K, 2K, 66K also have their uses in WP.

I might be forgeting something, but I'm pretty sure that someone else will mention it sooner or later.

66B-Your main whiff punisher. Combos to 3A > Coiled options.

SS-If you master this, another great block punisher and mixup/wakeup tool.

6K-Excellent punisher for 28 and TC. Not bad.

22B-Pressure tool near edges for Rocket Launcher.

[ A ] 6B+K-Chipping damage for Soul Gauge.

44A+B-Chipping damage for Soul Gauge and a mixup tool if used properly.

4A+B-For agI purposes. Not bad if used for that only against predictable patterns.

As a fan od WP, I can't help myself from adding something:

WP A+B - in my opinion, this is Ivy's best aGI move. At first, it can seem pretty crappy because it's hella unsafe, but with this move you can get free 40dmg easily. I'll take Sophitia for an example: we all hate her 11A,A_[A]. Everytime she uses that while you are in WP, she dies. You just need to press A+B after 11A (even when it hits you!) and it will GI her second A everytime and hit her before she uses the UB. This move aGIs hirozontals if I remember correctly, it never fails with aGI like WP 4A+B. It's really great! Other moves that you can aGI against Sophie: 236236A,A; 236A,A Amy: 3B,A; 1K,A etc... I hope people will find more.

WP 6B+K_6B+K,2_8 - this beauty rapes SG and you can control it with 2_8 so it's pretty much impossible to step it. Just hold A+K (or A) and spam it. It also TCs IIRC.

WP 66B - how to descibe this move? maybe one of her best mids? It has good range, combos on NH (up to 100 dmg with an easy techtrap), covers right side, rapes SG, hits grounded and it's pretty much safe due to its range (-13 on block)

Well, from what I read, this thread is turning out to be a TREASURE.
Thank you Angrel-San & Ring.

Also:
6K-Excellent punisher for 28 and TC. Not bad.
hmmm...I was aware of the TC part, but I hadn't really realized so far the damage of this move because I almost never used it. But this "28" seems awfully nice! Perhaps I should add this move into my game.
66B-Your main whiff punisher. Combos to 3A > Coiled options.
&
WP 66B - how to descibe this move? maybe one of her best mids? It has good range, combos on NH (up to 100 dmg with an easy techtrap), covers right side, rapes SG, hits grounded and it's pretty much safe due to its range (-13 on block)
Definitely one of the moves that I completely forgot to mention in my first post.
44A+B-Chipping damage for Soul Gauge and a mixup tool if used properly.
hmmm...both Soul Damaging and a mix-up...now that I think of it, it can become VERY useful in certain occasions (opponent's SG bar flashing red). Also one of the moves that I rarely use, but thanks to you, I think I have found a use for this. ;)
WP A+B - in my opinion, this is Ivy's best aGI move. At first, it can seem pretty crappy because it's hella unsafe, but with this move you can get free 40dmg easily. I'll take Sophitia for an example: we all hate her 11A,A_[A]. Everytime she uses that while you are in WP, she dies. You just need to press A+B after 11A (even when it hits you!) and it will GI her second A everytime and hit her before she uses the UB. This move aGIs hirozontals if I remember correctly, it never fails with aGI like WP 4A+B. It's really great! Other moves that you can aGI against Sophie: 236236A,A; 236A,A Amy: 3B,A; 1K,A etc... I hope people will find more.
I LOVE YOU (...ok, in a platonic way...;))
As of now, this move (WP A+B), has your name on it.
4A+B-For agI purposes. Not bad if used for that only against predictable patterns.
Yeah, we had a discussion about this move in another thread. Even against predictable patterns, there is always a very high chance for this weird pushback (caused by the aGI) to happen. However, If opponent is near wall or near edge of stage, the aGI pushback appears much less frequently. So you may have a chance for W! or RO.
So the use of 4A+B against predictable patterns (or not) should also be affected by the position of opponent (most of the times).

More skilled players will usually block the 2nd hit in the whip stance 1A:A. I've found that 1A, while rising B:B, 3A, 6A+B to be a nice little combo to catch those that actually block it.

EDIT: if you read the next post you'll find out that i can not read properly. i thought ring was talking about WS A+B but he is talking about WP A+B. i'll leave the info as a tribute to WS A+B crappy frames.

the only problem with WS A+B is that its -21 ON HIT. if your opponent knows this you could be punished for more than the 40 you get for it.

WP A+B, not WS A+B. please, read carefully :)

I use 6K a lot but I didn't know it actually TCs. This thread is gold lol ;p Yeah, 6K is a good punisher. It's i16 Just like WP 3A but positive on hit and does more damage. So in terms of punishing: 6K>3A

WP A+B, not WS A+B. please, read carefully :)

whoops sorry i'll edit.

I use 6K a lot but I didn't know it actually TCs. This thread is gold lol ;p Yeah, 6K is a good punisher. It's i16 Just like WP 3A but positive on hit and does more damage. So in terms of punishing: 6K>3A

i'll try to test for the TC frames. the other good thing about 6K is that it's access able from FC though WS K is faster and gives better frames.

Ring, I was testing WP A+B today and If I remember correctly, it failed in aGI-ing Soph's 236236A,A.
I don't know, perhaps I did something wrong because I was in a rush today, but still, are you 100% sure about this?
(Not that it really matters anyway, since it can PAWN Soph's 11A,A and Amy's 3B,A I don't need anything more than that ;p)

Now, about WP WSA+B (even If it was accidentally mentioned), I think the only use this move may have, is perhaps If you want to end a match (opponent has very little life left) getting advantage of this move's aGI and - why not- its nice range (or duration/hits for the very unpatient wanna-punish-this-Ivy-Christmass-tree opponents). Also it's nice that you can move Ivy while doing this. If opponent blocks you might want to get away from him...not that this will save ya...
Other than that, it's pretty much like Orionics mentioned: crappy

Ring, I was testing WP A+B today and If I remember correctly, it failed in aGI-ing Soph's 236236A,A.
I don't know, perhaps I did something wrong because I was in a rush today, but still, are you 100% sure about this?
(Not that it really matters anyway, since it can PAWN Soph's 11A,A and Amy's 3B,A I don't need anything more than that ;p)
Yeah, I'm sure it works. You just need to wait a little bit before you can aGI the 2nd A (btw WP A+B aGI work on both A's) With Sophitia's 11A,A I forgot to mention, that when you block the 11A you will end up crouching, and before you can aGI you need to go back to neutral stance. It takes some practice but it's really easy. Pressing A+B while crouching will result in WS A+B, and we don't want that xD (though this one will also aGI Sophie's 11A,A)

WP 44[a] in rare occurrences when you have your opponent pressured. Can be used as a frame trap for SE mixups, and if they know about it and refuse to duck, SS can be done by just not holding A.

While I'm sure this isn't quite the right spot, WP/CL 22_88K, CL 3B functions as a tech trap to all but a left tech.

LOL! Glad to be of service.

6K is great but 3A tends to get me those sweet CHs on spacing. 6K is more of an on block punisher for me but hey, it's versatile like that. Heehee.

Speaking of, someone must fix the Whip 3A on block on the frame data thread. That move isn't -14 on block.

The best combo with WP 66B I found is:

WP 66B, 3A, 3A, CL 1B,B+K, SW214K

If you delay SW 214K into techtrap it will do like half of life bar I guess. However, its really hard to land this combo (I haven't done this in a VS yet). Two 3A's will connect only when WP 66B hits at tip range and from the front (that's where WP 3A glitch works)

The issue with WP 66B is the range. If you know exactly (like with WP 3A) from what range you get better combos, this move works much better. If you don't, just go for WP 66B, 3A, CL 236B (It works always). With this:

(up to 100 dmg with an easy techtrap)

I was referring to WP 66B, CL 1B,B+K, 214K. If you delay SW 214K a little bit, it will do like 90-100dmg If I remember correctly.

Ill add something more:

WP 6bA+B
Flashy but should be used situationally. Mixing it with WP 6B can sometimes interrupt dangerous rush-in moves of opponent. Also knowing it's range well, it can be a nice keep-away tool (meaning: throw it, even If blocked). Not very important, but mentioning it anyway: After WP 1K on hit, very fast wakers may get interrupted by this. Also If they decide to block, they are in the perfect distance to be sent far away by this move.
I'm starting to think that this move was designed to be blocked ;) to scare people with its effect when blocked. It's some sort of psychic attack. I mean, is it me, or many people get scared of animation and let go off the guard button in the middle? Some people whom I play with online eat this on block most of the time haha xD

I'm starting to think that this move was designed to be blocked ;) to scare people with its effect when blocked. It's some sort of psychic attack. I mean, is it me, or many people get scared of animation and let go off the guard button in the middle? Some people whom I play with online eat this on block most of the time haha xD

i love the people who try to duck it

I'm sure many Ivy players are not aware of this:

WP 2B and WP FCB. Those moves look the same, but WP FC B is positive on hit, while WP 2B is 0 on hit.

But WP 2B is how I get to crouch though normally; especially since WP 2A sucks. ><

And good to know on WP A+B aGI; finally a counter to effing Amy rushes. XD

I'm sure many Ivy players are not aware of this:

WP 2B and WP FCB. Those moves look the same, but WP FC B is positive on hit, while WP 2B is 0 on hit.
I certainly was NOT aware of this.
It is something that my gameplay will appreciate a lot. thx man
Since i'll probably forget to test, If you know how much positive it is, just mention it here.

Also, I think this is the best suitable thread to mention that:
- If you do WP 44[A] at tip range (maximum range) and the opponent's blocks it, then a free SE 66K is guarranteed (meaning: SE 66K hits, even If the opponent continues to hold G).
(This has also been known for quite some time to the CF community, but I cannot recall If I have seen it anywhere posted in the SA of these forums)

Back