Who Can Tell You What To Say?

Gaza Memoria

[10] Knight
Idea for this thread came from watching a segment of Piers Morgan the other night. In our society today, I notice that we happen to use words that might offend people like the N-Word and the F-Word(F-Word meaning faggot just to clarify), as slang terms with friends, family, etc.
Most hip-hop/rap you can't listen to without the N-Word being thrown around. Or we use the F-Word as word out of anger or to insult someone.
But the main question here: Is it okay to use these words in just about any place and to anyone? And how does these words affect the younger generation in society?

Those words are just so ingrained in the our culture they aren't going anywhere. Take for example the word Nazi. We all know Nazi's are bad, but when someone is being controlling or something we call them a Nazi. Hell or even when someone is correcting spelling on the internet, they are called Grammar Nazi's. But you aren't seriously calling them an Aryan Nation supporters. I think in English words just evolve as time goes on.

I can speak specifically on the N-Word being black myself. I only use it with my family, because I do have friends who aren't black and I know it makes them uncomfortable so I watch myself around them. I was raised around people who said it all the time, and as you said it's in music. My main choice of music is rap so I hear it on a daily basis so it's not jarring to me when I hear it. Let me leave these two videos here as it's two black guys on different sides of the fence about the word.

And here is Isiah Thomas' rebuttal to Charles Barkley.

Well anyone can tell you not to say a word, and you can call him a doucheniggerfaggotcuntnazi while at a funeral with a sign in hand that says "GOD HATES OBAMACARE... and fags"

CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING. I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE WHO GET OFFENDED AT WORDS WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW THE INTENTION BEHIND THE WORDS. FUCK YOU FOR ASSUMING ANYTHING AT ALL. EVEN WORSE, DON'T BE FUCKING INSULTED AT SOMEONE WHEN THEY HAVEN'T EVEN ADDRESSED YOU DIRECTLY. FUCKING OVERLY SENSITIVE FAGGOT NAZIS.

I don't like hearing complaints about the N-word when rappers make tons of money off of saying the N-word 10 plus (probably more) times in one track. Regardless of whether it's contextual or if blacks made that word their own, why can't we just look at it as it being wrong and we shouldn't use it, period?

Regardless of whether it's contextual or if blacks made that word their own, why can't we just look at it as it being wrong and we shouldn't use it, period?
YOU CAN'T REMOVE CONTEXT FROM THIS EQUATION. WORDS ARE MEANINGLESS ALONE. HUMANS HAVE ARBITRARILY ASSIGNED VALUES TO WORDS.

PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SAY WHATEVER WORDS THEY WANT WHENEVER THEY WANT. THE ONLY REASON WE'RE SUPPOSED TO GET OFFENDED BY WORDS IN THE FIRST PLACE IS NOT BECAUSE OF THE DEFINITIONS OF THE WORDS, BUT RATHER BECAUSE OF WHAT THE COMMUNICATOR IS INTENDING TO EVOKE FROM YOU IN THE WORDS, WHATEVER THE CIRCUMSTANCES MAY BE. IT'S ABOUT READING BETWEEN THE LINES AND BEING CERTAIN OF WHAT IT IS THE COMMUNICATOR DESIRES.

BUT IF YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING KNOW WHAT THE INTENTION IS, AND THE WORDS AREN'T EVEN SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED AT YOU PERSONALLY, THERE IS NO REASON TO BE OFFENDED. THERE IS NO REASON TO PASS LAWS BECAUSE YOU DISLIKE ASSOCIATIONS YOU'VE MADE WITH CERTAIN WORDS. THERE IS NO REASON TO CREATE NEW SOCIETY NORMS FOR EVERYONE TO CONFORM TO JUST BECAUSE YOU DISLIKE ASSOCIATIONS YOU'VE MADE WITH CERTAIN WORDS. IT'S FUCKING STUPID AND EVIL.

Last edited:
IMHO, I try not to curse so much because I have to be mindful of my audience. People can't just say what they want and expect smooth sailing. Especially in real time chat. Unless people find you charismatic or something, I wouldn't want to give people the wrong intention.

I understand being yourself, but certain peeps need to put a lid on profane language....especially if it's a habit.

Nothing can go your way until the intended audience is cool with you. No one wants trivial and petty things to come into play. So why take on the "I can say what I want and everyone can shut up" role?

If I were to take that route for instance, it'd hinder me in the long run. I wouldn't want to be a self centered snobbish smart mouth elitist. That's a lonely path, and only certain people can put up with that.

I think it looks really sad that you can stir up the emotions of an entire community of people with the use of a single word. It makes them look really weak. Your ancestors weren't burned, stoned and whipped so you can act like cry-babies when someone insults you. They suffered so you could have a damn future. (In context of both faggot and nigger)

People literally give words power they shouldn't have. If a black person gets really upset over hearing a certain word, I just want to say they are weak and shaming their people with their attitudes. But if a black person just holds their chin up and gives you this arrogant grin, saying "I don't care what you say because I am strong and confident as an individual." I want to walk up and high-five them. They are doing their people a favor and I thank them for being a better person. (In context of nigger only)

The way I see it, words like this only offend people who they actually describe. And those who use the word nigger are the most unoriginal, pathetic kids out there. You've had 400 years to come up with a better insult and that is the best you have after all this time?

Almost everything in life is situational
Words should not be spit out without think, but at the end are just words
There are few douchebags in this world like the ones that live with the Politically Correct pillar up in theyr ass

Back