Who is the best punishing character?

Haeven

[09] Warrior
Hi there. I love making opponents pay for attacking. Which character is the best at dodging or punishing? I understand that Sophitia can often use 236B to punish post block. However, I'd rather not focus on post-block punishing (even though it is an option I'd use).

Setsuka. 33B is an awesome whiff punisher from step, and 44B+K and 2143aB are great for interrupting slow moves and punishing moves that have bad frames on block.

whiff: hilde
interrupt: yoshi

block: hard to say because there are a lot of different situations
taki is the fastest but no dmg and range, setsu is real fast but not much dmg, sophie lot of dmg but i14-15

block punish:
(no order) amy, sophie, cass, taki, yoshi, setsuka

whiff punish:
(also no order)
hilde, cervy, nightmare, algol, lizardman, cass, sophie, amy, setsuka

These could be further broken down into other categories, for example, whiff punish can be broken into FC, sidestep, and distance categories.

whiff: hilde
interrupt: yoshi

block: hard to say because there are a lot of different situations
taki is the fastest but no dmg and range, setsu is real fast but not much dmg, sophie lot of dmg but i14-15

Sophie deathfist is i13, only character in the game that can punish Cervy 2a+b (forces crouch) for free damage on block.

Haeven, you should be focusing on punishing with free damage on block when you can, it makes opponents much more careful about using some really powerful moves. It takes a while to get into the habit of doing it properly if you're not used to it, as well as time and experience to learn what moves are punishable. I don't think any player right now punishes EVERY unsafe move, but it's a very important thing to look for in a match.

thx for advice :). I'll block punish as much as I can. I also like sidestep punishing or GIing--very fun. So out of all the characters that are good at whiff punishing, which ones are best for sidestep punishing? Sophitia is very fun, with her B+K and A+B.

Dare I say that Astaroth's 22_88B4, 28B+G Is a RIDICULOUS whiff punish. Especially for dodging linear attacks and then punishing them. I just think it should be mentioned in that list.

Dare I say that Astaroth's 22_88B4, 28B+G Is a RIDICULOUS whiff punish. Especially for dodging linear attacks and then punishing them. I just think it should be mentioned in that list.

If only 22_88B4 didn't whiff a lot when off axis. That, and it being 5 - 10 percent less than Hilde's 9 hit Goodbye Combo is the only thing that makes people not really talk bad about it being broke.

lol good point

nothing compares to hildie doom combo insta ring out

i meant a punish that is fair

Just a little contribution since once again, the above posters have provided great advice. While some characters definitely have great post block punish (Sophy, Cassy, Amy, Yosh, and Sets), you should remember that most characters have at least an AA, BB, or 2A. Although these are pokes and jabs, by nature they are capable of punishing a lot of things. Punishing something post block doesn't just mean netting yourself free damage or big damage for that matter, it also allows you to get back attacking momentum which is often times enough to win a round. So don't just look at who does big damage with a punish and remember that even hitting back with a simple poke after a "reasonably but not completely safe" attack from your opponent does wonders and is easily underestimated.

Final thoughts since I happen to be a Sophy player...I must say that punishing a whiff with 66B 236236B for nearly a third of your opponent's life is quite nice. And for Hilde, getting a free ring out must be nice as well when you punish whiffs.

Best punisher in the game is Setsuka.

JF Umbrella is i12 and regular is i13.

Sophitia's Stab is i14.

Setsuka > Sophitia in punishment.

If you wanna get more technical then Amy is the best punisher with 6BB which is i11.

In my opinion the /easiest/ character to use as far as punishing goes is Amy. i11 6B is pretty insane (as far as this game goes- old SCs it wouldn't be as insane but since everyone's been slowed down AND made unsafer, it's huge) but it's even crazier since she can use it when she's in FC. There's a lot of moves that Amy can punish that no one else can, including some lows (Say, Apprentice 44K)

Whiff punishing? No one else is better then Hilde. No one. Forever distance ring out, versus some characters a ton of damage, a ton of range, AND her whiff punisher/launcher is + on block. Ridiculous. :p

I think Namco intended the big block punisher character to be Sophie though. 236B:4 is a monster and if you put the time into doing it everytime you should, Sophie is tough to really fight against for most characters that aren't, you know. Hilde.

Back