Who Liked SC3?

meh...sc3 wasn't too unbalanced. tons of characters could compete in it. also AE was probably the most well balanced game of the whole series imo.

That balance can be a myth because people had no real access to that game. It was much different from SC3 with some very serious changes to many characters. We know for sure that glitches were fixed, some characters got toned down, some buffed and that's it. I know that Setsuka was broken in AE version.

I started to take the soul series more seriously after 3 but wasn't in my best form back then and could never decide my main so that would explain why i never noticed any glitches (still don't know what glitces the third one had). I just had a really good time with this game and that's why i love it.

No, I played daggoth and experienced why it's so difficult to handle Spohie with Sieg:
Even tools like 4B, BB, 2A give hell mixups against her at close range - The only thing Sieg has over sophie really is throws.
Jag himself saw how I played against his brother. We have different styles. I am mixup oriented, he is punishment oriented. That alone makes Sig fine vs. me. There is no fact about how the matchup must be played. Plus, I am fun since I make you think more.

Just talking about the matchup,Sophie VS Siggy is really quite difficult for Siggy. Well known fact.
Matchup charts are extremely general because they don't specify what the player style is focused on. IMO, there can only be 3 types of approaches: Mixups, Punishment, Interrupts.

Every time somebody posts a matchup score...they ignore what angle the hypothetical character is being played from. They just say, oh it's this number, in theory...somehow...because some imaginary person would do this. What person? It's unrealistic. Matchup charts need to be talked about from at least those 3 perspectives. To say there is just one matchup score is bullshit and it fascinates me no one else in the fighting game community has addressed this. For this reason I always say tier lists must be generalized to ranks of S, A, B, C, D. Not these obnoxious scores of 10-2, 5-5, or whatever else number people act like is the all-encompassing truth.

Sc3 was so different from 2, to me it felt more darker, we were introduced to tira for ex...it wasn't the best soul calibur but I did love it

I loved it. COTS kept me busy for hours and it had the most content to any fighter on that console. X-play even said that as well. I mean it has 2 Bosses... what other fighting game has a final boss and an ultimate boss? The gameplay was really fast and felt smooth (balance is another story) But the feel of it, possibly the sound effects is what I mean, in SC3 a hit felt hard, a slash felt like you cut through something. In SC4 it felt like people had an invisible bullet proof vest or something and the bone snap sound from throwing was removed.

The dark feel of the game was really turning on the game. I had hoped the series would grow even more gothic but so far that isnt the case. SC5 seems to be more or less SC2 atmosphere.

For some reason my CotS keeps getting corrupted so I don't play it anymore. Has anyone experienced this and or fixed this?

SC3 was horribly balanced at high level play. The Arcade Edition was released as a means to remedy that problem, but it was stuck in Japan for the most part. This means SC3:AE didn't get put under the heavy stress of having the entire veteran SC community test it out in high level competition. We don't know for sure just how balanced SC3:AE is; we just know they changed quite a bit in various critical areas.

To be honest, I'd love to see a port of SC3 to a more powerful piece of hardware. Playing AE against a wealth of deep competition may just give the third game in the series a clean slate (though SC3 is technically the 4th Soul entry). A port could very well salvage SC3's rep, since it had everything else going for it that a Soul Calibur game needs, in my opinion. Where Namco really screwed up was not releasing SC3 in the arcades prior to going to console in the first place. They got arrogant after SCII's success and paid the price for it.

Despite the seemingly negative tone of my message so far, I still enjoyed a hell of a lot about SC3. It brings the best stages in the series, offers the best overall soundtrack since Soul Edge, and adds some great new character designs like Zasa, Sets, Tira, and Abyss to the series. If it had SCII's Arcade mode, Team Battle Mode, some rock solid gameplay balance, and some thorough bug testing, I think it would be a strong candidate for best game in the series. As it stands, SC3's premise was a great idea that succumbed to being rushed and poorly planned out in terms of execution.

A "Soul Calibur III HD" version could bring this game's potential to the forefront. I'd buy a second revision of SC3 in a heartbeat. If AE was released here in 2006, then I know I would have met some of you in arcades. SC3 PS2 is still fun.... as long as you play it casually. Those are merely my personal thoughts on the subject.

I started to play the Soul serie with this opus.
I tried SC II but I didn't really like it. It was just another fighting game.

And then : CaS, Tales of the soul, a scythe, etc etc. I really enjoyed it and that's mostly why I didn't like SC VI. It felt empty and flat compared to III.

But that's only my opinion...

The game just had so much to offer. It is the epitome of offline content in a fighting game i think.

Of course balance is an issue but thats why we have V. Soul Calibur III was something very special. It was like a throwback to the 90's fighting games. Very personalized with character stages and lots of small touches.

Whereas Soul Calibur II and IV lacked these small touches, giving multiple characters the same stages, less modes etc.

Love this game to death, but i feel and HD version would not fix any gameplay issues. We would need an HD port of arcade edition. Its a lose-lose situation.

We get HD Soul Calibur III we get the shitload of content but broken gameplay. We get HD SC3 AE we lose the offline content.

To be honest i would rather have AE because i have never played it.

SC3 was all right, I think, but I was also never a pro tournament player either. It had a few glitches, most annoyingly the one that would corrupt your entire save file, but other than that I liked it. I even liked the chronicles of the sword mode, even if it was a bit slow here and there.

The game just had so much to offer. It is the epitome of offline content in a fighting game i think.

Of course balance is an issue but thats why we have V. Soul Calibur III was something very special. It was like a throwback to the 90's fighting games. Very personalized with character stages and lots of small touches.

Whereas Soul Calibur II and IV lacked these small touches, giving multiple characters the same stages, less modes etc.

Love this game to death, but i feel and HD version would not fix any gameplay issues. We would need an HD port of arcade edition. Its a lose-lose situation.

We get HD Soul Calibur III we get the shitload of content but broken gameplay. We get HD SC3 AE we lose the offline content.

To be honest i would rather have AE because i have never played it.

TekkenLover, I fully understand your sentiments. But don't you see -- Soul Calibur III: AE is the version that needs to be re-released as the HD port. They can easily use that version instead of the broken PS2 port. Or they could actually make a little effort and fuse the two together (AE with all of its balance tweaks + the home version's overall content package) into the most complete version of SC3. Dare I dream.

Let's face it -- Namco is never going to commit to a full effort with a SC game again. If I had to choose between an HD port of SCIII: Arcade Edition and nothing at all, I'd chose the HD port of SCIII: AE.

Yes, Arcade edition it is. I desperately claw away at youtube videos, hoping one day i can find more Li Long and Hwang videos. Hoping i could one day emulate the game!

Its maddening having my most wanted characters restricted from me! If they wont be in V or VI let me play III AE!

It was a horribly imbalanced mess, but I loved it for all the crap they focused on instead of balancing it out. I swear some of those obviously incomplete 'bonus' movesets seemed so incredibly broken...Still an awesome game in it's own regard, though.

To be honest, I never really gave SC3 a second glance after I completed it. I pretty much went back on SCII but the main reason was because of the whole Ivy moveset business. Now that I have more spare time, I sat down and played this game again.

I had to learn Ivy's new moveset, but it was worth it. She was pretty fun to play as in III compared to IV, overcomplicating her moveset like crap.
Seriously I mean, why the fuck does she have to have 3 weapon states!? actually 4 when counting her one where she wraps her whip around her (forgot the name lol) >_>

They kept it simple in SCII, but I liked the ability to control her states in III. Since in II if you were in whip state and you simply pressed A or B her weapon would automatically revert back to sword :(

If Her SCIII moveset would of have 'Spiral serenade' then it would have been the best version in my opinion :)

I personally loved the game but that may be because it was the first SC game I could play somewhat competently (For the record, played SCII on GCN when I was 6 and got SCIII when I was 11). I like the feel of the game, it's fun, lots of content, a personalized feel with character stages and whatnot.

I can however see why it's hated by the community. It's broken to a horrible extent, it broke apart the community and the vast amount of the conent was single player.

Really I view it as a very broken and glichy but extremely fun game to play game that while the sequal improved with balance it felt kind of bland if you're not a competetive play, that would be me.

I think for the players the enjoy the offline stuff and aren't technical players (me) enjoyed the game, while the opposite disliked it or viewed it as broken...

Honestly if this game didn't crash all the time It would be (in my opinion) the best game ever.
like it had it's own little story just for CAS fighters...not to mention the 10 extra fighting styles that had. (making it have like 40 styles)
The game was a bunch more personal and fun. from a technical perspective yea it had errors but as much that was packed into that disc is much to look past those errors.
BTW:no characters were lost but Necrid.
if anything its still better than SCV&SCIV

Back