Why are you good?

Chaos1x

[10] Knight
I keep dwelling on the idea that the only reason im good at things is because people around me suck.

people are considered intelligent or skilled only by comparison.

how can any one really claim to be the best at anything or even good?

think about all the people in the world that didn't have the opportunity to play soul calibur. those who dont like it and those who where never born. there could be someone in Ethiopia that would play this game for 2 weeks and be better then all of us.

Are we just dumb kids playing a meaningless game?

Im not sure who has the highest iq out of all of us but i dont think there is any among us who is over 170.

Yea im good at soul calibur but my IQ is only 132. could someone far more intelligent easily surpass me?

what do you guys think about all this?

I'm not good at Tekken, at least I learned that at a tournament. But I don't know if I'm good at Soul Calibur. I was hardly get used to lag at online play (x360) then i get used to lag and use it as a advantage. My ratio was more or less %70 with Tira. But I didn't have opportunity to play Tekken 6 online cuz my gold was over.

It doesn't work that way. You don't just pick up the game in 2 weeks and then beat all of the world's best players. Plus, it's not just a thinking game either. You have to consider the reflexes and training that goes behind it.

My IQ's 152 and I'm by no means good. There's a lot of hard work and dedication that goes into becoming good at anything. And in the case of fighting games, reflexes and perception speed. What do I think? Why are you wondering something like this? I don't want to say there are any meaningless expositions, but it certainly does seem to me to be a bland and fruitless query for philosophical consideration. Did something happen that shook ya up or something? I at first assumed this would be a topic about morality. On the subject of this being a meaningless game, by all means yes. But there is no metric or device that can be applied to yield an optimal cross section between fun and purpose. Ultimately, the "point" of doing anything is a subjective assessment. If you enjoyed your time it wasn't wasted in my book with some exemptions in place for caveats like "didn't prepare for winter". If you feel like you're wasting your time though man, by all means do something else. As for people who never had a chance to play this game being better than you, I suppose this borders on the cusp of a deeper question. But with soul calibur as the context I have trouble concentrating on what that might be. In any event if you're not the best in the world, I wouldn't waste time on wondering about these phantoms of possibility. If there are real live flesh and blood opponents who still best you then you have other concerns.

As for only being good at anything only because people around you suck, the entire reason you can call someone good or bad at anything is by comparison. If you didn't know someone could paint a life-like portrait you might consider a stick figure to be pretty boss. I suggest visiting a major tourney to gauge your skills. It might give you the validation you seem to seek or in the very least, further perspective.

This dogmatic exaggeration will sound cheesy and weird but, "good" doesn't just come to you. You gotta earn it. Whether it be a video game, relationships of all kinds, or tedious jobs for instance. Besides, what may seem good to you, may not seem good to others. As Yoshimitsu says: Talk is cheap.

Everything in life that has the ability to be judged subjectively is judged that way. So, of course, we're only good or bad at anything in comparison to those that we know about. Really, though, if you think about it, in almost anything competitive, there's an answer to an action that counters that action (and repeat ad infinitum). Really, it's the fact that we aren't perfect that makes anything that is considered competitive both exciting and worth even competing in.

As for being a waste of time, really, when it comes down to it, as far as we know, everything is a waste of time. From prolonging our lives, to making money, to have kids, none of it is really 'important'. Really, we're all just biding our time until we die. Still, that's where, often, society and religion come into play (or, if you're hard-headed enough, yourself) and give you reason to do things.

Oh yeah, for something to think over, you should read Hobbe's Leviathan (Specially, regarding the state of nature). Though you can compare a lot of what he says to 'civilized' people, specifically, one excerpt states that, in nature, every being believes himself to be the best at everything, specifically because they don't get to know anyone else.

And that's why I'm good! I can beat most people more then they can beat me. Which is a whole plethora of players!

Someone said that the only reason that you are good is because you use a high-tier character and should try to win using a particular female ninja with a stupidly large buxom. Your thoughts?

Im good cuz my grandma says I am. Im also handsome for the same reason

HRD
sc2maxi2.gif

Someone said that the only reason that you are good is because you use a high-tier character and should try to win using a particular female ninja with a stupidly large buxom. Your thoughts?

Nope because nobody else who plays her had the same success. Also I traveled way more than most.

You're good when people say you are. It doesn't matter what you achieve. It doesn't matter how much skill you think you got...you're only as good as people say you are. It's relative. lol

Back