Why do most pro players love to do them overkills?

Overkills, good or bad?

• Veeery, very, very... Good... I'm a monkey. ⊂((・⊥・))⊃

• Bad. Simply appalling! Ever an outrage. Damn it all!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maedhros

[12] Conqueror
I came to notice this phenomenon not only when versing better players than me on PSN, but on videos of tournament competitions as well. Of all the vids I saw until now, some (to put it roughly) 20% have no overkills in them. Also, some players who I used to play with on par but have since advanced have also adopted this habit. So... Are overkills pro players' way of trying to mess with their opponents' heads? How do overkills affect YOU, my dear reader, if they do at all? Why do you think is that?

I, for one, can't stand them online, they irk me for some reason. So I usually opt to either leave the room (RAAAGEFULLY, if pushed enough), or threaten with a kick if I am hosting.
Idk, overkills just feel like tearing down of any attempt at etiquette in an environment where people who don't know each other should simply gauge each other's skills through play. Since when did overkills become an inseparable part of that experience for you? I want to gain understanding of this, not listen to typical "oh, you must be new to online gaming" poop. :)

We do it simply because we could, for the lols...
I've been doing it to opponents, both CPU and human players alike, since SCII.

If there was the slightest chance overkilling would inflict a mental wound on you then obviously all pro's are going to do it.

Notions of contrived honour have little value to a real competitor.

It can also be meant as a compliment, along the lines of "My opponent was so hard to beat, i hit him a bit more to make sure he's dead."

Can't say that I've been subjected to overkills much and when I do dish it, it's due to bad player etiquette. :P

Generally scrub hatemail ensues...

When you're in a tournament, usually you get to meet the actual person that you're having a match with. When the person is right next to you, that disrespect you'd feel from overkilling online isn't taken so personally. If the players have had matches online in the past (depending on the players) they might just be joking around. Since tournament turnout usually has familiar faces, this happens often. Also, 2A > 2A > throw is good for extended camera time overkill.

imo it depends on the context you're looking at.

On the one hand it's disrespectful, meaning your opponent it outright being a dick and insulting you.
On another hand, your opponent may just be practicing inputs, Cervs iGDR for example, another would be Hyrul who, when using Leixia, would practice iFC 3B and 3B in rapid succession.
As other people have mentioned it's designed to piss you off and make you lose your composure, meaning you start doing dumb stuff
I myself use it but only as a form of revenge, usually against scrubs who think they're hot shit and start taunting/overkilling after scraping a round...not a full match, a round.

I have a routine depending on what character I'm using. So if I'm Pyrrha I would apologize then stab the ground so she says "I don't want to die". If I'm Nightmare I just angrily stab at the ground. If I'm Raffa then I'm like "Pathetic, Pathetic YOU DEGENERATE Come on..." and Leixia is just cry baby on your face.

and Pat is just Pat.

It really isn't a big deal unless you let it get to you. Which is funny, I used to do it to people I know who hate it so they would play more frustrated. Those tourney tactics, yo.

don't talk like you don't know. The first one to negate or say that doesn't know is probably the one who most enjoys fatalities. And don't tell me you never played or saw vids or anything because I know it's a lie.

they want to see Pyrrha jump the rope with her opponent's intestines, or Natsu to summon arabaki and then it eat's her opponent's limbs.

Mina probably had the most brutal fatality. Its like Boom Boom Boom BOOOM BOOOM, remove stick from opponent gut.

That and Vaders.

Back