Why is smoking legal?

Germany also has a rich cultural history (No I'm not making a joke about Nazis you jackasses) as well as very good sausage and beer. I adore good sausage and beer.

You keep thinking "we're". Look, people aren't inherently a collective force moving towards some greater goal. That takes galvanizing, oppression and brainwashing.
I had never considered this...

I guess you're right.

We're all doomed.

I had never considered this...

I guess you're right.

We're all doomed.

You know, life gets better when you stop trying to assign overarching meaning to it, be it spirituality, progress or what have you. Realizing life is meaningless is step 1, and that is easy. Realizing that life being meaningless isn't inherently depressing or bad is step 2, and that is the part most people get hung up on.

You know, life gets better when you stop trying to assign overarching meaning to it, be it spirituality, progress or what have you. Realizing life is meaningless is step 1, and that is easy. Realizing that life being meaningless isn't inherently depressing or bad is step 2, and that is the part most people get hung up on.
That's an interesting philosophy, but there's something I think I'm misunderstanding. What do you mean by "meaningless"?

That's an interesting philosophy, but there's something I think I'm misunderstanding. What do you mean by "meaningless"?

It means that life has no inherent meaning behind it, and as such, neither do actions or beliefs you keep in life. They are kept entirely as a choice, for comfort. The only motive all human beings have in common is selfishness, and you will find all actions are motivated by it, even charity.

Why do environmentalists want to save the world? So they will have a comfortable place to live, or to appease their conscience, or to "feel good about themselves."

That is what I mean by the fact that it's all bullshit, and it's meaningless. Change what you believe from one day to the next, it doesn't matter. Enjoy life, and don't worry so much- you only get one.

Just to tie this in- who cares if people smoke? If I don't like it, *I* will do something about it. I don't rely on the government to do it for me.

Germany also has a rich cultural history (No I'm not making a joke about Nazis you jackasses) as well as very good sausage and beer. I adore good sausage and beer.

And you're not the only one who adores that. Everybody who has been to an EBO (International German Tournament) does. :)

Well, thanks for sharing. You're actually right in most of what you've said, but I like to give myself goals and ideas just to feel like I'm doing something, since really at this point I'm not in a position to actually do anything substantial for myself other than studying.

I'm a little envious of your curiosity for why are certain things the way they are. Such as why is smoking legal? Reminds me when I'd care a whole lot on education(which I still do). Yet I question is some of the stuff I'm learning really necessary?

Getting back to the point, talking about " why is smoking legal" is boring. Because Pocky Yoshi refuses to smoke. Bad for your body. Which leads to he doesn't care if it's legal or not. Pocky Yoshi won't become another sequel of drug addict vids for a health class lol.

As much as I hate smoking personally, I also know it's none of my business to interfere with other people's choices ( to a certain extent of course, I would be intervening if a family member was taking hard drugs, for example. ) They more than likely know that it's a waste of money and that it will probably kill but they still do it anyway, its an addiction. What bothers me is the fact that so many hot girls I know tend to smoke, which is a bit of a turn off imo.

As for why it's legal, like others have said, it's a bit too late to put the cat back into the bag, nothing was done when it could have resulted in it being banned so now it's really up to the person whatever they want to smoke or not. Environment is another factor, if you grew in an environment where smoking is the norm, you more likely to smoke yourself ( I seem to be an exception as my parents and older brother smoke while I don't. )

Offtopic, I like your view on things, IdleMind. The same can be said for social norms as well, many of which originated from many, many generations ago and have become so ingrained into the general pysche, that people think it has always being there when the truth is it wasn't and pretty much everything that people live by in life was thought up by someone at one point or another.

With this in mind, I feel that the meaning of life is: You make your own damn meaning!

Small sampling domain with a clear bias.

So, the government of not just the UK or USA, but every god damned nation has statistics every where that prove the effects of smoking not only effect those who smoke but those around them too.

Automobile emissions are pretty nasty. Usually, people like to compare cigarette smoke with the ill effects of cars. Not only can a car kill you with it's exhaust, but it can run you over, too. Airbags have been known to maim and decapitate people.

Why the crap aren't cars illegal?!

.... we can go down this same path with everything from nylon panties to Coca Cola and TV.

So why isn't the governement doing something about it?. If a 16 year old with little resources apart from basic statistics, some intelligence and common sense can come to this resolution how on earth can a government not work it out.

Because the 16 year old took a small sampling with a hefty mountain of bias to come to these definitive and unquestionable resolve.

Tobacco (and most definately alcohol too) would be class A drugs if they were introduced now, so why can it not be removed completely. It has an immediate short term effect which is critical to the body. It has a long term effect which is critical to the body.

Cigarette smoke and alcohol actually have positive effects, too. Did you know that?

Early, infrequent and relatively small exposure to cigarette smoke and other air contamination can actually help to produce healthier lungs in children. Alcohol can help reduce the risk of heart disease. Of course, exposing children to too much of either is child abuse (in regards to the law and common sense) and probably not something you should practice.....

Did you know that hand sanitizers and antibacterial soap have direct links to the rise in asthma and other diseases? Hand sanitizer itself can cause you to be exposed to more pathogens than not using it (short version: alcohol dries your skin and introduces micro-lesions in the skin that can become a vector to pathogens). Antibacterial soap destroys not only harmful but also helpful pathogens that would otherwise reduce disease and infection.

Why the crap aren't hand sanitizers illegal?

supa, where i live you have to have ID to buy hand sanitizer, gel deodorant, scope mouthwash or most aerosol hairsprays. we have a rather large population of vagrants here who ingest them to get drunk. true story. i pick up like 3 hand sanitizer bottles on my way from the parking lot to the door at work almost every day, before i call the police to come rid my parking lot of the purps.

anyway, back on topic. i have changed my stance, and i agree with the opening poster. anything that contributes to the creation of internet lectures on existentialism that sour the taste of my morning cigarette must be banned.

i'll just buy them for less money from mexican importers anyway.

Reactions: mkl
supa, where i live you have to have ID to buy hand sanitizer, gel deodorant, scope mouthwash or most aerosol hairsprays. we have a rather large population of vagrants here who ingest them to get drunk. true story.

Absolutely true. Related: I have been on more than one call about a drunk that has blinded himself. It seems the part of the brain that is responsible for image processing is more apt to damage by things like.... isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and those poor guys drink themselves blind.

Somewhat back on topic:

Why do American cigarettes suck so much? I always hear that in other countries there are cheap cigarettes with smooth charcoal filters and nearly no bizarre additions like ammonia. I hear Japan even has self-lighting cigarettes. Foreign smokes smell better, too - have a smoking buddy smoke a Marlboro and you can smell him from 20 feet away. Have him go shower and smoke a Dunhill - you can nearly not even tell.

your test is flawed. you would have to smoke a 6 dunhills in a row to get the manly awesomeness that is in a single marlboro red. i'd wager that, in the end, they would smell quite similar.

What do people feel when they smoke? Is it that sensation that makes them addicted to it?

Well, thanks for sharing. You're actually right in most of what you've said, but I like to give myself goals and ideas just to feel like I'm doing something, since really at this point I'm not in a position to actually do anything substantial for myself other than studying.

You know, I hardly find anyone around me that I can have this kind of conversation with. They're all either too stupid/careless or they underestimate me. Thank you :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism

Sort of discussion goes way back. Idle did a good job describing but here is a more detailed version. But in general I completely agree with Idle. Human lives have no inherent purpose or meaning and it really doesn't bother me. You may want to look into philosophy if you are interested.

Back